Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Can anyone tell my how far Lauderdale by the sea is from the Cheese Cake Factory? Also, we will not have a car so is there a bus that could take us there, we are staying a Lauderdale Beachside hotel. Thanks in advance for the help.:D

Cheesecake Factory is on Las Olas Blvd., on the ground floor of the Riverside Hotel's parking garage. It's about 20 minutes from where you're staying, but are you familiar with the hotel you have booked? It's not a very nice place, I'd look elsewhere if were you.

SO nice to see T and B back and helping !!! Thanks for all the info you give out.

As for Sawgrass mills...JCPenny outlet aLONE is worth it....We have twice now bought

inexpensive carry ons to fill with neat bargains!!! LOL

Can anyone tell my how far Lauderdale by the sea is from the Cheese Cake Factory? Also, we will not have a car so is there a bus that could take us there, we are staying a Lauderdale Beachside hotel. Thanks in advance for the help.:D

The 11 bus goes directly there and back without going into any bad neighborhoods, but you should call and find out how late and how often they run 954-357-8400. A cab would probably be about $30 each way. It is about 8 miles.

We are leaving out of Ft L on 10/15 for a flight to Rome and back on a TransAtlantic arriving Ft. L on 11/1. Can you recommend a hotel/motel that provides:

1. Parking for 17 days

2. Transportation to Airport

3. Pick up at port

Or at least #1 and #2 above

Thank You

We are leaving out of Ft L on 10/15 for a flight to Rome and back on a TransAtlantic arriving Ft. L on 11/1. Can you recommend a hotel/motel that provides:

1. Parking for 17 days

2. Transportation to Airport

3. Pick up at port

Or at least #1 and #2 above

Thank You

A favorite among many cruisers on these boards,

The LaQuinta Inn & Suites

2620 N 26th Ave

Hollywood, FL 33020-1957

(954) 922-2295

/////

Hello,

We're flying out from the West Coast on 1/1/10 for a cruise aboard the Oasis on 1/2/09. We're staying at the Renaissance, but don't get in until 5pm. Any suggestions for dinner on New Years Day? Preferably Italian and reasonable cost...

Thanks!

Hello,

We're flying out from the West Coast on 1/1/10 for a cruise aboard the Oasis on 1/2/09. We're staying at the Renaissance, but don't get in until 5pm. Any suggestions for dinner on New Years Day? Preferably Italian and reasonable cost...

Thanks!

Bravo is reasonably priced Italian and just across the parking lot from the Renaissance... http://www.bravoitaliano.com/

You may want to confirm that they're open New Year's day though.

We are staying at the Renaissance on 17th in mid-Jan but it appears that the SunTrolley doesn't operate on 17th during the week. Is this correct?

http://www.suntrolley.com/original_site/maps/las_olas.html

According to this schedule, the Convention Connection, 17th St route, only runs Friday through Sunday. But, if you want to go to the Las Olas-Beach Place area, take the #40 bus.

http://www.broward.org/bct/pdfs/sm_sys.pdf

My calendar has January 17 on a Sunday.

Edited by KreinKrunker

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post an update on our transportation dilemma from MIA to Hyatt Place FLL. Since we've already booked SAS transportation for the return back to MIA, I thought I'd ask again what the price would be for our arrival in MIA to FLL and I was quoted $15.00 per person., same as the return price! Previously he said it doesn't pay for him to do that since he's based in FLL.

So I emailed him back to confirm as requested but I hadn't heard back from him since. So I emailed again and still no reply in 4 days. That's unusal for SAS. I'm wondering if he's realized he misquoted the price, it really did sound too good to be true. I'm going to call him today and find out what's going on and will post back here.

Glad I found someone who lives in FLL to ask this question. We need one night precruise in March. Prefer a room for 5 and Marriott for points. The 2 places we are looking at are: Fairfield Inn & Suites... a new one that opens in October or Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport. I know that neither is a high end place but as we get in at 7 at night and leave the next morning didnt want to spend a lot. But dont want to be in a dump either. Any advice?

Please recommend a nice hotel that’s near restaurants, grocery, on beach and accessible to the water taxi? We would love to visit Ft Lauderdale at least 4-5 days post/pre-Cruise. If not we will settle on a hotel with a wonderful view with restaurants nearby, use of water taxi and grocery.

Thanks,

Faith

Edited by flimflubin

Hi there-

So happy to have stumbled upon this thread!

As you can see in my countdown, I'll be leaving out of FLL on a cruise on 11/28. We'll be coming in on 11/27 and I feel overwhelmed with the hotel search. I don't want to do priceline or hotwire because that would require paying up front and our plans are still not 100% concrete. We are looking for a hotel that has airport and cruiseport shtutles, if possible.

I found good rates for the Hyatt Pier 66 ($118 for garden/double) and the Hyatt Place ($119) via hyatt.com. Are either of these good?

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

Erinchita, both of those prices are GREAT. The Hyatt Place you will get more for your money; shuttle airport & port, continental breakfast and its a suite for up to 4 people. However, the Hyatt Hotel is right on the Intercoastal with the towers offering a view of the port/ships, about a $10 taxi ride away. It really is individual taste and budget.

I would book quickly due to Thanksgiving holiday and lots of cruisers that weekend.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Please recommend a nice hotel that’s near restaurants, grocery, on beach and accessible to the water taxi? We would love to visit Ft Lauderdale at least 4-5 days post/pre-Cruise. If not we will settle on a hotel with a wonderful view with restaurants nearby, use of water taxi and grocery.

Thanks,

Faith

There are no hotels with access to both grocery and water taxi. I would recommend the Renaissance 17th St.(closer to grocery) or Hilton Marina (closer to water) but be sure to request a water view...the port is the south view. The Doubletree Gallery One will have a Publix across the street by the end of next year. The Pillars is 2 blocks from the beach, has the most gorgeous view of the intracoastal, and has a water taxi stop. There are lots of restaurants nearby, and a 24 hr CVS which sells wine and minimal grocery items about 4 blocks away.

Hi, we will be staying at the Courtyard Marriot at FLL beach and was wondering is there a place to purchase liquor within walking distance. Also, I have heard that the food is not good there & very expensive. I know that there is a Bubba Gumps nearby, been there done that in NO. Not impressed. Any suggestions w/i walking distance. Many thanks!

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express - Convention Center on 17th. We will be coming in early and would like to go to Las Olas beach center (not sure what it's called). What would the best way be to get to the beach area from the hotel?

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean... Las Olas Blvd. where there are a lot of shops and restaurants is not on the beach, it's in downtown Ft Lauderdale... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Beach Place is on Ft Lauderdale Beach, close to Las Olas Blvd & A1A, but not on Las Olas... http://www.galleryatbeachplace.com/

You can easily get to either by taxi, or Water Taxi... http://www.watertaxi.com/

I would highly recommend going to Las Olas Blvd. over Beach Place though, not all that much in Beach Place, Las Olas is a lot more interesting. The nearest Water Taxi stop is under the SE17th Street bridge by the Hilton Marina... http://www.watertaxi.com/FLLStop7.Asp.htm

Hi, we will be staying at the Courtyard Marriot at FLL beach and was wondering is there a place to purchase liquor within walking distance. Also, I have heard that the food is not good there & very expensive. I know that there is a Bubba Gumps nearby, been there done that in NO. Not impressed. Any suggestions w/i walking distance. Many thanks!

I think there might be a very small liquor store nearby, maybe on Las Olas Blvd by the beach but I can't remember exactly. As for restaurants, the closest good one is Coconuts, then H2O, then Casablanca Cafe. The furthest of the 3, Casablanca, is only 6 or 7 blocks away, a nice walk along A1A, and is my favorite in the area.

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express - Convention Center on 17th. We will be coming in early and would like to go to Las Olas beach center (not sure what it's called). What would the best way be to get to the beach area from the hotel?

Thanks!

I think that you mean Las Olas Blvd at A1A (road that runs along the beach). If you mean Beach Place, that is about 4 blocks north of Las Olas Blvd on A1A. Check out the SunTrolley website for the schedule and maps for the least expensive transportation.

Edited by royalcruz

Hey RC...I'm in your hood:)

Got in late last night, so missed hitting any spots for dinner. Too busy to grab bkfst or lunch today, so I just hit Tom Jenkins early to soothe the Q joneses.

Out of here in the early AM to Boca, which a quick slip down Atlantic to Dandee Donuts:D. Sad to miss the start of Dine FL this year. Oh, well maybe next time.

Folks, I'm at the Sheraton Airport (business meetings). It's okay. Parking is free. Lobby is nice. Rooms are clean but starting to show their age in spots. TV stations are limited. If you're on the north side up on 9 or higher you can see the ocean in the distance. No ships in from the looks of it. Nice fitness center with a rack of dumbbells, 3 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines and some weight machines. Men's room has showers and lockers. Pool can be used for laps but is a bit short. There is a tennis court too. Watch the free coffee service in the morning--get there before 7AM or they take it away and you have to pay in the restaurant.:mad: For a one night pre-cruise, you might find better deals elsewhere.

Crew

Edited by crewsweeper