Table for two during open seating?

TurtleLove

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to reserve a table for two for dinner in the open seating? My boyfriend and I like to dine alone on our cruise, but find it difficult to obtain a table for two during open seating. During our last cruise on the Oosterdam, we were told you could only make reservations up to 2 days in advance. We would call first thing in the morning as soon as the reservation desk opens for a reservation two days away, but they were always gone! Whats the trick??

I suggest go in person in the morning of the day you want to go and make your reservation for that evening. Try to make your dining time during the "unbusy" times.

My DH and I never had to wait...but we didn't care that they sat us with other people.

That is unusual. We've had open seating the last 3 HAL cruises and have always been able to make a reservation. Reservations are only for two early times and 2 or three late times, none in the middle. We make the reservations the same day. I usually call right around eight, but a few times have called late morning and still gotten a reservation. A couple of times the reservation has been for two days.

We don't request 2-person tables, but lots of people do get those. 2-people tables often turn over 3 times in an evening, so that should help with availability.

When you board the ship, there is usually a station set up somewhere for reservations. Ask around and you should be able to find it. If you don't get a reservation during the first day, ask the maitre de in the dining room. They are usually very accomodating...

:D:D:D

We also prefer to dine alone and quite like open seating. Dinner then falls into the rythm of our day.

We had great success with obtaining a table for two. Scouted the dining room when we first boarded and found a few tables for two we liked so when making reservations we had numbers to give.

Having said that what worked best for us was simply present at the dining room ( when we felt like dinner:)) Accept that we may have to wait for our table preference ( it was never more than a few minutes) and (with wine in hand )enjoy one another's company.

We once accepted a table for four and were delighted with our dinner companions. But would I still rather dine with the fella I cruise with ,I have been training him for thirty years and he knows just how to behave:D

We were leery of open seating but gave it a try and did well with early eating. The first day we were immediately taken up the stairs to a table for 2. The waiters were already serving dinners but we were not demanding and quickly caught up with the other diners. After that, we called for a table in open dining and we were happy as we got the same table every night. Just like regular dining!:p

As soon as you board go to a house phone, dial 88, dinner reservations, and request table for two. Next day you can call starting at 8 AM and request dinner at a table for two. We have had no problems getting a table for two.

Assigned seating seems to fill up quickly and a lot of people end up having open seating. We have had good experiences with open seating and making reservations and accept what ever times are available. I don't know, but perhaps the time you wanted to eat was the reason the tables for two were not available.

We had problems with open seating getting a table for two on last couple of trips and we were asked ( and urged) to share, so we started asking for a table for 6, so we could fit in more easily. Oh-and we were suite passengers, but not very demanding. We went to open seating after a fixed episode where our table of six routinely was a table for 4 when the other couple chose to show up only twice. And, following an episode with some hard-of -hearing, interesting, but elderly folks, where we felt compelled to shout out. W usually book late and all the fixed is filled, but we will stick with open seating anyway because of the ability to choose different times on excursion-heavy cruises and to move about the dining room meeting new people!

It is possible to get a table for 2, in open seating diningroom, on a fixed basis. Go see the Matre'd on the first afternoon your board, there is a time/table set in one of the diningrooms or nearby, for dining questions.

Ask to talk to the Matre'd or his rep about your needs.

Where the Diningroom questions are being dealt with is often in the daily news log. Otherwise ask anyone in the Reception Area or near a diningroom, staff generally know where you need to go to get questions answered.

We always request a 2 top. Sometimes we have been assigned to a anytime diningroom 2 top at a set time, even though we are Traditional dinners, by the Matre'd.

this will not be a problem , we have just returned from the Noordam , call ext 88 from 8am from your cabin or any where on the ship , you can do this for 'today' and the next day , no problem , very straightforward , if you forget you can wander down in the evening and wait for 15mins in the bar before you are called , Enjoy

My BF & I were on Masdam this Winter, first time HAL, always do open if available. We found that unless you wanted to hang out in restaurant lobby for half hour just going down unreserved we reserved at podium outside Lido(cafeteria), at 8AM. Found a waiter we liked, requested his station at various times since this cruise had 10 ports. Once we got used to system it was OK.Really not open seating to me.

I've read that you can't pre-reserve for the 'middle' or the evening, does anyone have the details on that.

We usually like to eat about 7.30-7.45pm - will we be able to make a reservation for that time, or only for later?

Archived