Promised granddaughter cruise to Disney World..never done this.

grummanyankee

if a teenager is totally into disney they will have a good time on a disney cruise...she who must be obeyed loves disney so she would be okay...personally I don't like rodents..talking or not...but being the good sport I am have been to world 4 or 5 times and land about 14.....the focus of a disney cruise is on kids...duh...just suggesting you make sure that is what your granddaughter wants....and not just what she is agreeing with her beloved grandparents......I just know that as a teenager I would have been embarrassed to have been taken on a disney cruise (no matter how much I actually would have liked it...cool factor)

I couldn't disagree more. Even as an adult I wouldn prefer to take the Disney cruise over any other cruise line because of the serivce, nice rooms etc. If she was totally into Disney she would be more than 'okay' on the Disney Cruise.

Thanks to all for the information. I guess I should have paid attention to geography in school! I didn't know ships couldn't sail to DW.

DW is in the middle of Florida. It is hardly likely that a ship could sail to there. You might as well have promised her a cruise to Omaha.

DON

Want to clear up another point the op made. Ships cannot sail from Baltimore to Florida. They may have a port stop in FL, but you cannot permanently disembark from one US port to another US port without a stop in a foreign distant port. (PVSA comes in to play here). So the best option would be to fly to FL and choose a cruise, be it Disney or another line and then spend a few days in the parks. OP, talk to your granddaughter to find out her preferences and include her in the planning. It sounds like a wonderful incentive to keep up her studies and she gets some special grandparent time.

Want to clear up another point the op made. Ships cannot sail from Baltimore to Florida. They may have a port stop in FL, but you cannot permanently disembark from one US port to another US port without a stop in a foreign distant port. (PVSA comes in to play here). So the best option would be to fly to FL and choose a cruise, be it Disney or another line and then spend a few days in the parks. OP, talk to your granddaughter to find out her preferences and include her in the planning. It sounds like a wonderful incentive to keep up her studies and she gets some special grandparent time.

Jennifer - I had never heard that before. So, for the autumn cruises from Boston or New York up to Canada, is Canada considered the "foreign port"? Are there any New England only cruises that would break that rule?

foreign registered cruise ships must not stop only in American ports...so a ship not registered in the US has to include a foreign port....Canada qualifies which is why many alaskan cruises start in Vancouver. The ones that depart Seattle put a stop in at victoria or another Canadian port. Same is true for Hawaii...the cruises make a stop on an island that the name of escapes me to quality...NCL had a few US registered ships that could do the Hawaiin cruise without that stop...great in theory but the cabin stewards were then americans not used to working hard.

foreign registered cruise ships must not stop only in American ports...so a ship not registered in the US has to include a foreign port....Canada qualifies which is why many alaskan cruises start in Vancouver. The ones that depart Seattle put a stop in at victoria or another Canadian port. Same is true for Hawaii...the cruises make a stop on an island that the name of escapes me to quality...NCL had a few US registered ships that could do the Hawaiin cruise without that stop...great in theory but the cabin stewards were then americans not used to working hard.

That would be Fanning island.:)

Bill

Archived