It's Official... Celebrity is rolling out Open Seating on all ships

Rick-cruiser

Totally don't get your analogy. What do "casual diners" have to do with this converation?:confused:

Hm, perhaps I chose the wrong terms... I was trying to compare a cruise ship dining room with traditional diners and my time diners to a restaraunt where one may have a reception / party going on in one room (or even in a corner somewhere) and individuals / couples / others groups. The folks participating in the reception don't interfere with the rest and vice versa... anyways, it was just a thought. Don't worry about it :)

Hm, perhaps I chose the wrong terms... I was trying to compare a cruise ship dining room with traditional diners and my time diners to a restaraunt where one may have a reception / party going on in one room (or even in a corner somewhere) and individuals / couples / others groups. The folks participating in the reception don't interfere with the rest and vice versa... anyways, it was just a thought. Don't worry about it :)

Thanks, no problem.:) I assumed the wrong intent of your post, Select Dining = Casual clothes. Thanks for the clarification.

I did....if you choose Select Dining in Aqua Class you are NOT seated in Blu.:(

Thanks, Gracie. I am reverting to Traditional Dining and will write to Celebrity asking them to instruct their Vacation Planners accordingly (I was told twice that we could use Select Dining in Blu by 2 different VCs).

Blu is certainly a perk for AQ class guests and if guests are not allowed to use Select Dining in Blu, X will certainly have more of a problem selling these cabins -- they are not the best situated, most of them with posts and under the overhang. The only difference from CC class will be the Persian Gardens and some other odd things (fancy shower, 2 bottles of water a day).

Disappointed...:(

Thanks, Gracie. I am reverting to Traditional Dining and will write to Celebrity asking them to instruct their Vacation Planners accordingly (I was told twice that we could use Select Dining in Blu by 2 different VCs).

Blu is certainly a perk for AQ class guests and if guests are not allowed to use Select Dining in Blu, X will certainly have more of a problem selling these cabins -- they are not the best situated, most of them with posts and under the overhang. The only difference from CC class will be the Persian Gardens and some other odd things (fancy shower, 2 bottles of water a day).

Disappointed...:(

I agree with you and hope you weren't in main dining time because it is no longer open to Aqua Class. We were in it, I switched to Select Dining and when I found it we would NOT be seated in Blu tried to switich back, now it's full, so we are on a waitlist.....with some assurance from Celebrity that it will "open up" before we sail. I certainly hope so....:(

I agree with you and hope you weren't in main dining time because it is no longer open to Aqua Class. We were in it, I switched to Select Dining and when I found it we would NOT be seated in Blu tried to switich back, now it's full, so we are on a waitlist.....with some assurance from Celebrity that it will "open up" before we sail. I certainly hope so....:(

Hi Gracie,

I'm sure it will open up -- ours was Waiting Time only yesterday, but has now become available (only at 8:45), so I reverted to Traditional Dining.

Happy cruising !

If it wasn't for the fact that late seating isn't going to be until 8.45pm on our cruise I would have stuck with the traditional seating as I like it and it's served me very well in the past, having been "thrown together" with some great tablemates. As it is we have gone for the Select Dining option this time at a slightly earlier time. One of the things I really like is being able to sit at the same table with the same waitstaff as that is important to me. I'm sure it will be fine and having our table of friends is going to be a lot of fun.

Phil

I just hope Select Dining starts AFTER our Solstice cruise on Sept. 15th

By our next X cruise, hope all the issues will be sorted out! I already know that on Summit we will probably lose the best seating to Select for some strange reason...

Hope it is going to work out....Change is not always for the best!

By our next X cruise, hope all the issues will be sorted out! I already know that on Summit we will probably lose the best seating to Select for some strange reason...

It is , if it's what you want , horse for courses [ quote ] im not being provocative here just pointing out that the change to Select dining is exactly what some people will welcome . On IDOS last year the top tier of the dining room was for My Time dining and the next 2 were trad . the 2 did'nt intermingle Im sure Celebrtiy are aware of your misgivings and will work it to suit every one :)

Hi Gracie,

I'm sure it will open up -- ours was Waiting Time only yesterday, but has now become available (only at 8:45), so I reverted to Traditional Dining.

Happy cruising !

Hope you're right, still on wait list now. If it doesn' open we'll stay with Select as 8:45 is just too late for dinner for us and hope that we can get into Blu at least a few nights.....but I'm going with the optimistic point of view that it will open up....glad it did for you....have fun!!!

Think you'll be surprised how unobtrusive this will be, I've sailed on Summit twice, suspect Select dining will be on one side of 2nd floor of dining room only, as it was on Jewel of the Seas which is basically the same design of ship as the Summit. No, change is not always for the best, but I think you'll find this easily accepted once experienced either by observing or participating.....

Oh and Select Dining doesn't start on Solstice till Jan 10, 2010....

Traditional dining on cruise ships has been the order of the day since time immemorial. Why try to fix something that aint broke.

Change for the sake of change in general terms is not a very good idea especially if it affects the majority adversely.

Early and late seating has not caused any problems before as everybody was aware of their designated meal times, table arrangements and waiter service, ergo why change.

Judging from the tenor of the numerous posts on this subject I think the traditionalists are way ahead of those who support open seating.

With due respect to all opinions,

SAZ.

Traditional dining on cruise ships has been the order of the day since time immemorial. Why try to fix something that aint broke.

Change for the sake of change in general terms is not a very good idea especially if it affects the majority adversely.

Are you saying the Select Dining will adversely affect the majority? (This is a real question....I'm not trying to be a smarty pants.)

At least you are consistent in your argument. No matter how many times people have told you that if Celebrity follows the Royal model the best seating will not be used up for SD, you keep doubting it and assuming the worst. Sorry to disappoint you, but a year from now, my guess is your dire prediction will prove to be false.

Early and late seating has not caused any problems before as everybody was aware of their designated meal times, table arrangements and waiter service, ergo why change.

Judging from the tenor of the numerous posts on this subject I think the traditionalists are way ahead of those who support open seating.

SAZ.

With all due respect, Celebrity isn't making this change for the sake of change. The suits in Miami must realize they are at a competitive disadvantage and have made this move to ensure they attract new cruisers. To call this tiny sampling of Cruise Critic posts in favor of traditional being way ahead of those who support Select Dining is a bit absurd. Do you even have an idea of what the percentage is of Celebrity posters here on Cruise Critic vs those who cruise each year on Celebrity? It is a very tiny number.

I will give you this, Celebrity is doing it the right way, Select Dining and Traditional so that both groups have an option. There is no reason both groups can't be happy.

SAZ.

OK and the "tenor" of the posts on the Royal Carib. threads was much the same UNTIL My Time Dining actual was installed...go to those threads now and you will find OVERWHELMING approval of the concept, the way it is handled and the fact that it has NO IMPACT whatsoever on those who choose to stay with traditional. I just DO NOT understand those that refuse to allow the possibility that this ADDED option could be a good thing. No matter, the naysayers will find it will be OK, Celebrity will do it right and as has happened on the Royal threads many of them will find that they MIGHT just like it for themselves.....

And, YES, I know Royal is not X, which in my book means X will just do it THAT MUCH BETTER!!!!

J & G, JEKA and GRACIE 115.

Certainly did not mean to get your dander up regarding open seating. If X feels that by introducing open seating it would definitely attract more 'New Cruisers' and enhance their bottom line they will do it regardless of what anyone says.

It was purely an observation on my part not meaning to cause a controversy.

The proponents of open seating have every right to state their case as do the traditionalists and lets hope that X is able to satisfy both sides without too much fuss and confusion.

Best wishes and more importantly enjoy your cruising,

SAZ.

J The proponents of open seating have every right to state their case as do the traditionalists and lets hope that X is able to satisfy both sides without too much fuss and confusion.

Best wishes and more importantly enjoy your cruising,

SAZ.

I have faith that X will do it right and keep all happy......(well except those few that are unhappy no matter what happens!!:))

Happy cruising to you too!!!!

Archived