Ironing on board?

TheReichs

Irons are not allowed in your cabins due to the fire hazard. Depending upon which cruiseline you are sailing, some lines, like Holland America, do have, on most of their ships, a self-service laundry facility, which has an iron and ironing board. If your ship doesn't have this, alot of people bring along that Downy Release and say it works great.

The Reichs....

Celebrity: No iron/laundry facility (selfserve) available.

Princess: Yes, available.

Carnival: Yes, available.

BTW, you have packed too much stuff! :p Take out some things....and leave room for all of the goodies you will be hauling back with you!

Bon Voyage!

Downey Release is a spray, you spray it on your clothes and its supposed to release the wrinkles in your clothes, you don't need to wash them in it. Its different than just plain Downey.

To my knowledge, RC does not have irons or self-service laundry facilities. You could check to see if RC has a package for just pressing your clothes, most cruiselines will do this for you for a fee.

Enjoy your cruise.

Be careful of the Downey Release, test it on an area of fabric to make sure it doesn't stain. We don't care for it because of the strong odor (cheap floral). If you pack carefully, using dry cleaner bags, wrinkles may not happen. Other people swear by rolling clothes, thereby not having any folds. We use packing envelopes for ts and shirts, it comes with a folding board so you fold everything like a store would, it holds the clothes together so they don't shift. Still, others swear by hanging their clothes in the bathroom, to be steamed during their shower. There is also a press only service onboard every ship, it's about half the cost of dry cleaning.

We pack a travel steamer and heat it up while we're unpacking, steam anything that needs it, then pack it away. A travel steamer is not disallowed, nor is a travel iron. Regular irons are prohibited from ships, they are a hazard due to the wattage, not the event they will be left on.

Wrinkles are not the end of the world, everyone around you will all have some wrinkled clothing, to some degree. Don't worry too much about it.

Here's a link to a recent message with the price list for laundry services in most RCI cruise ships. On it you'll see that pressing services are half the laundry service price.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=2497799&postcount=4

There are no self-service laundry facilities on any RCI ships, and RCI's rules prohibit ironing in cabins, FWIW.

Here's a link to a recent message with the price list for laundry services in most RCI cruise ships. On it you'll see that pressing services are half the laundry service price.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=2497799&postcount=4

There are no self-service laundry facilities on any RCI ships, and RCI's rules prohibit ironing in cabins, FWIW.

Good information! NOW I want to know who would have their socks ironed? :rolleyes:

Irons are not allowed in your cabins due to the fire hazard. .

This would be a matter of cruiseline policy. Princess, for example, doesn't prohibit them in the cabin, but it's easy to use the self-service laundries, and the dry cleaning is very reasonably priced.

This came up recently on the RCI board: No one could find anywhere where RCI said that they actually prohibited irons in the cabins. Now, they don't provide them, and they don't provide ironing boards, and they say that they're a fire hazard, but they don't come right out and say that they're prohibited. ;)

Make certain that the crease is perpendicular to the ankle. It will slim your ankles and provide a svelte curve when exposing this area, especially when seated cross-legged.

PS: Your FIRST cruise....Bon Voyage...I hope you have many more! First-time cruises are like first-time "you-know-what"...you'll remember it forever!

This came up recently on the RCI board: No one could find anywhere where RCI said that they actually prohibited irons in the cabins. Now, they don't provide them, and they don't provide ironing boards, and they say that they're a fire hazard, but they don't come right out and say that they're prohibited. ;)

Actually it is in a web site from Royal CAribbean covering both RCI and Celebrity. The site is called Welcome to Cruising Power and is provided for Travel Agents and you must have a password to get on. This is an official RCI web site. This topic always comes up and it used to be in the daily bulletins but has not been for several years.

Don

Oy. Why post rules only in a place that the people who need to comply with the rules cannot access? :confused:

Maybe the rule only applies to travel agents while they're cruising! :D :D (Just kidding.)

Well, thank goodness Carnival firmly states in their booklets - "The use of irons, heating pads, and candles are not allowed in the staterooms; utmost care must be used when using curling irons to make sure they are unplugged when finished."

I recently read in a travel mag that Carnival will be enforcing this policy on ALL their lines, including Princess and Holland American.

Oy. Why post rules only in a place that the people who need to comply with the rules cannot access? :confused:

Maybe the rule only applies to travel agents while they're cruising! :D :D (Just kidding.)

Theoretically, the reason it is in there is under the assumption that the passenger is going to ask the travel agent a question who then looks it up on this cruise site. However, that is not how things always work in the real world.

Don

There is clearly some changes that have to take place in the system. Every time I've talked with my travel agent (who has been incredibly helpful) she needs to call Royal Caribbean directly (who has been incredibly helpful). It doesn't make much sense to always have to get two companies involved whenever I have a question or request, especially since some of the requests, specifically, are simple enough that I should be able to personally access a web page that allows me to make the change myself. Change is definitely going to happen, and with such change, I believe no one should be left in a position of getting something for nothing.

No, sorry; I subscribe to many travel mags, and don't recall which the article was in - but it was in a Nov. or Dec. issue.

I'm glad to learn that Carnival will make sure all their acquired shiplines will be adhereing to Carnival's basic safety policies.

Downy really came up with a marketing gimmick with that wrinkle release. It plays off of something I have done for years that works just as well. Simply lay your garment on the bed and gently spray it with a spay bottle full of water. Smooth your hand across the garment and ta da, the wrinkles are gone! No need to spend money on a bottle of smelly stuff when tap water works just as well!

Do you recall the title of the article or the subject? I'm fascinated by prohibiting a clothes iron, but permitting a curling iron -- nevermind an open flame for lighting a cigarette. I've asked Princess about this three times, and never got any variation that led me to think they are discouraging it, though I know that other lines do.

Archived