Tropical Storm Danny, Oh No!

lkmamom

Is anyone else concerned about this storm? We have been looking forward to this cruise onboard the CB for so long. I do believe in safety first but what if it becomes a full storm? Anyone ever been in s situation like this with a cruise before??:o

Linda

Is anyone else concerned about this storm? We have been looking forward to this cruise onboard the CB for so long. I do believe in safety first but what if it becomes a full storm? Anyone ever been in s situation like this with a cruise before??:o

Linda

Were also on the CB leaving NY on Saturday. Hopefully the storm will weaken but you can be pretty sure that Princess (or any other cruise line) won't sail into it.

Did you read that last Saturday's cruise was held up in NY overnight to avoid rough seas due to Hurricane Bill?

I have no doubt that we will be safe. Try to relax and enjoy the anticipation of a fun filled week.

Situations "like this" happen every single year between June and November, i.e., happens all the time. This is why pricing is so low during hurricane season, i.e., the chances of diversion to other ports are significantly higher. Your cruise will depart; the question mark will be where it goes and there's no answer to that until the storm track is determined. An excellent site for tracking hurricanes is: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

Linda

It's hurricane season, this happens every year. The cruise lines are used to this, no need to worry. They will take care of you.

Anytime you book a cruise during hurricane season, there is a possiblity of this happening. ;)

ships routinely change itineraries to avoid sailing into storms. They really don't have to go anywhere if you read the contract the master of the vessel has the right to make alterations in the name of safety. Danny should move quickly out of harms way FWIW

We were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the CB Sept 05. After leaving Princess Cay (our first port), Capt Romano informed us that we would now be going to the Western Caribbean to get away from Hurricane Rita. Sure didn't bother us changing course to get away from Rita. The shore excursion desk was very fast in arranging all the new tours for us to book.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I am really not worried and to be honest, would not be too upset missing ports, this trip is more about being on the ship and being with DH "just the two of us". We now have our son back to college and we are ready for some needed relaxation. ;) I knew we were taking a chance with hurricane season but I am still hoping Danny will fizzle out in the next couple of days.

Linda

We are on the Tahitian and due into NYC on Sunday. Nothing I can do, so I am not worrying about it.

Paul, the good news is that it should be past NYC before Sunday morning, so disembarking should not be too nasty weatherwise, but to get there, you might be sailing through it. Have enjoyed your live from posts. We are due to head out on the CB Sat from NY, and I have a feeling she will be alongside until early Sun AM, to let the storm pass.

If we see the Tahitian, I'll wave at you!

Thanks for your responses everyone. I am really not worried and to be honest, would not be too upset missing ports, this trip is more about being on the ship and being with DH "just the two of us". We now have our son back to college and we are ready for some needed relaxation. ;) I knew we were taking a chance with hurricane season but I am still hoping Danny will fizzle out in the next couple of days.

Linda

Good for you! ;) I can't wait - the end of next Sept. and I will be free to cruise during the school year!! Both sons will be in college! I'll be broke, but free to cruise during the school year finally!

Enjoy yourselves no matter what the weather turns out to be. :)

Linda

Last fall we on the Crown and were diverted b/c of a storm:eek:...never even felt big waves:D. Our itinerary was altered:mad:, but Princess knows what to do to keep it fun and to keep us safe:cool:. We really enjoyed the new itinerary too!;)

Hi,

Remember the storm force wind extend out now over 200 miles. So even if it dose not hit NYC they will feel the storm. If the ship does not leave and stays an extra day in NYC for safety, maybe you might want to think of it as a different port of call. Start looking now into things to do there. I would look in to places that you would like to visit that are in side (incase of rain) such as museums etc. Look at the subway maps to see how to get around underground where it should be dry.

http://www.nycgo.com/

We are Floridians and believe that one of the safest places to be in a hurricane is onboard a cruise ship since they do everything they can to stay out of the way of the storm. It may mean changes in the itinerary, delays and sometimes extended or shortened cruises, but the ship is safe and always fun to be on no matter the weather!

Our first cruise on CB was out of FLL right after Charley but Frances hit while we were aboard so we sailed in circles a couple of extra days until Port Everglades reopened. While Frances was blowing we were cruising in the most wonderful weather. We drove home through the debris following Frances' trail.

As others have already observed, there is always a calculated risk of changed itineraries when crusing the Atlantic coast or Caribbean at this time of year. We did the last NYC-to-Caribbean itinerary of the 2008 season on the CB back in late August of last year and really lucked out - absolutely perfect, calm weather all the way down and back. But there was no guarantee of that and we did the booking with full knowledge we could run into the situation you are now facing.

This is the mid-atlantic marine forecast this morning for Hudson to Baltimore canyons. Looks like Bill was worse.

SAT

E TO NE WINDS INCREASING TO 30 TO 40 KT EARLY...EXCEPT

FAR E PORTION TO 50 KT AND NEAR THE CENTER OF DANNY TO 65 KT.

WINDS THEN BECOMING W TO NW AND DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 25 KT

THROUGHOUT LATE. SEAS BUILDING TO 10 TO 21 FT. HIGHEST WINDS AND

SEAS E.

SUN

WINDS BECOMING SW AND DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 7

TO 12 FT SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FT.

Just wanted to plug Cruise Critic's Hurricane Zone (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/hurricane.cfm) for the latest storm news and info about itinerary changes.

I've been covering TS Danny and so far it's a pretty tame storm -- not like Bill. There's a chance Danny will strengthen into a cat. 1 hurricane but the storm is unlikely to become a major hurricane. However, it's looking like the mid-Atlantic and New England states will be pretty wet this weekend. The storm is moving erratically, according to the NHC, so it's hard to predict exactly how close it will come to the East Coast. Check back the Hurricane Zone for further updates -- we're in contact with Princess about any re-routings.

The best advice I can give you is to plan for itinerary changes to happen, and then be happy if and when they don't materialize.

We were on the QM2 last year, headed to Canada/New England when we were delayed due to Hurricane Kyle. I'd spent most of September watching the forecasts and didn't really see anything to concern myself with, and in fact had no idea there was a hurricane in the area until we were onboard.

We ended up docked in Brooklyn all night with shuttle service into Manhattan (not bad), and we spent the majority of the next day anchored off Staten Island before heading into the Atlantic at about 6pm. Portland, Maine was eliminated from the itinerary, and our arrival in all ports pushed back by one day (I did see many people scrambling to re-arrange their independant shore excursions).

You guys are the greatest I have my raincoat packed and I am ready for the cruise experience no matter what it has in store for us. I am so excited to sail on Princess, it has been a long time. I am going to try to post a live thread so I will keep you informed;) Thanks again!

Linda

Archived