What is a residency rate?

A residency rate is a "discount" that is often offered to those who live in specific states... typically, they are trying to boost their bookings by offering a special rate to attract cruisers from a particular region...

The best way to check for one is to do a pretend booking through the website, being sure to indicate your state of residency...

Also, be aware that they will check your residency status at the pier when you check in. If you're not a resident of the state where the discount was available, you'll pay the full fare difference at the pier - or be denied boarding.

Some have tried this......none have mastered it.:D

When I sailed on Voyager in may I qualified for a resident rate and a over 55 rate. No one at the port check my residence status. they looked at my passport but never asked if I was from Ohio.

So if you are traveling with someone who is eligible for a residency rate & you are not, you need to check in together? My sister is rooming with my friend who is from a different state than us... we will be at the ship before my friend...so I guess my sister will need to wait to check in...

I suppose these only ever apply to those who reside in various parts of America? or is there a chance they might offer "residence discounts" for other parts of the world? Living in hopes :)

Residency rates are somtimes offered to residents of Canada. Do you have a Royal Caribbean office where you live? If so, they might be able to help.

AF-!,

If you were born in Ohio, that info is on your passport and maybe that is what they looked at. If you weren't born in Ohio, then I guess you just got overlooked.

Passports don't have residency info...they are used for proof of citizenship of the country where you were born.

Resident rates will require a DL to prove the state you reside in.

OP...only 1 person needs to be from the qualifying state, everyone in the cabin will benefit from the discount. :)

Sometimes rates are checked, sometimes not. If you try to cheat the system it could really cost you if you do get checked and the lines are trying to crack down on this.

If you are traveling with a discount rate, you need to check-in together just in case of a check ... it will say this on your documents.

Residency rates are somtimes offered to residents of Canada. Do you have a Royal Caribbean office where you live? If so, they might be able to help.

I don't think there is a Royal Carribean office in Ireland. I book through the UK. The population of Ireland is only 4 million so it's less than many states in the USA. It probably would not cost them much if they offered it. Probalbly won't ever happen but it would be nice if it did :)

I had no idea what a residency rate was and assumed it was the state where the port was located. I had already booked when I found out about the police discount on some cruises. So I called about a police discount and wound up getting $3500 discount from the residency rate discount for Illinois. Needless to say I was quite pleased that our first cruise this Thanksgiving on Freedom is much less expensive. What a great surprise! They did say that proof would be asked at port.

I had no idea what a residency rate was and assumed it was the state where the port was located. I had already booked when I found out about the police discount on some cruises. So I called about a police discount and wound up getting $3500 discount from the residency rate discount for Illinois. Needless to say I was quite pleased that our first cruise this Thanksgiving on Freedom is much less expensive. What a great surprise! They did say that proof would be asked at port.

WOW, that is great! $3500 is another cruise!!! :)

AF-!,

If you were born in Ohio, that info is on your passport and maybe that is what they looked at. If you weren't born in Ohio, then I guess you just got overlooked.

Huh? Doesn't a residency rate requirement have to do with the state in which you currently reside, not the state in which you were born? If I'm wrong please let me know.

Huh? Doesn't a residency rate requirement have to do with the state in which you currently reside, not the state in which you were born? If I'm wrong please let me know.

You are correct...I was born in Ohio...but have lived in Florida for the last 30 years...I have a Florida Address & DL therefore I am a resident of Florida... and take the Fl. residency discount every chance I get...:D

Archived