$2 coins soon add up!!

Tinky2

Hi sarah, Nice to see you back on the boards again.

With regards the disney tickets , you may need to save a bit more these days as I am sure the 10 day base ticket start from close to about $300 per person. Not cheap (but worth it for this disneylover!!):D:D

yeah i know there not cheap after this cruise in feb i'm hoping to go to disneyworld on it's 40th birthday in 2011 and i'm hoping to have some money left over to go on the disney cruise so make my 2 intrest in to one (disney and cruising )

Just thought I would share...

My husband and I have been collecting $2 coins since Feb this year and putting them in a 600ml coke bottle. Well we counted it last night as it was so full we could not fit another coin in. :) What we were really suprised at was the amount it held. We ended up with $980.00 :eek: So that is a great bonus and will go toward our spending money for our cruise. :D

Cheers

Ellen :cool:

What a fantastic idea. Some time ago l purchased a coin counter jar on line for $10 and it counts all Australian coins, it was full of silver coins for quite awhile. When l read your post l told my hubby about it and then decided that l was going to empty the jar of the silver coins. l went through my purse and found that l had $26 and he had $3 so l put them all in the jar. From now until our cruise to NZ on the ROS on the 7/1/2010 we will put all our gold coins that we get in loose change in to the jar. The jar is much bigger than a 600 ml coke bottle so l am not sure how many coins it will hold. l will let you know what it adds up to when we cash it in for our spending money in December.

weed1327

you've inspired me!!

we're on a cruise in september next year. DH always leaves silver coins out on the kitchen table because he doesnt like carrying them in his wallet, so i have always popped them in a teapot i have - except we always raid it when we need a few $$.

So we went and bought one of those tins from a cheap shop that you have to use the can opener on to open :) have promised ourselves that we wont open it until a week b4 the cruise and if we fill it, we will get a second one also! Looking forward to see how much we save on coins alone.

We also have a savings account that we regularly put money into!

Austravller I have found that the temptation to raid the jar is a big thing in our house too :D although we still have 30 odd days to go we have just come back from the WRC in Nthrn NSW which was a busy time for us(DH was an official there and luckily in the next couple of weeks we are busy with with the kids after school stuff/sports/homework etc and working and of course starting to pack that we probably won't be able to find time to count our tins till the week before we go.

So i guess the moral of my story is - Stay Busy.:D:D plus it also make the time to the cruise go quicker.:D

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of those cheap money boxes about a year ago..just before our last cruise.We only put $2 coins into it & the aim is for it to hopefully almost cover the cruise fare for our next one in 2012 (ages away = (

Has anyone ever filled up one of those tins from the cheap shop just with $2 coins...I'm curious as to how much would be in it when its full.

It's inspiring to think that a small coke bottle can hold close to $1000 so maybe our cruise fare will be fully covered!! :)

When it's full I'm off to the shops to buy another one :D

in our house we have a 20 ltr drum with a slot cut in the lid and we use it to put 50 cent peaces in its about half full after about six months, realy dont now how much will be in when it full , but it will be heavy:D

You will need 4 x 20ltr drums to pay for all those cruises you have lined up...wow! ;).

thanks for inspiring me. Well actually I wanted to check out how it was done as it seemed like a lot of $2 coins for one bottle so when a friend of mine was drinking a 600ml bottle of diet coke the other day I snaffled the bottle. $100 later and it hasn't even taken up much room.

What a novel way of saving.

have already paid for our Oct cruise so saving for a European one now.

Tracey

• 9 months later...

I finally cashed in my money box tin can thing...the results

$235.00 not exact it was around about.

That $235 worth of more fun/drinks.

I am going to start another one when i get back.

This also inspired me to do the same with my partner. About six weeks in and we have about $110! We are using a 2L coke bottle which, by our estimates, should hold a lot. We are using it as spending money for our next cruise in May! We hope to have nearly $1000 by then.

Its an amazing way to save. It is $110 that would have been wasted on vending machines and paid parking. Fantastic.

I've been doing the same thing!! I empty all my coins at the end of each day into my little piggy bank (Yes, It's a little piggy like they used to be:)) and each month I Count my rewards :) I normally get somewhere in between $80-$150, to think this would have gone to waste buying Coffees and Chocolates during work days....

You have all inspired me so much that I'm going to the $2 shop tonight and buying a tin that I can't open. We only have exactly 3 months to go today until we cruise (yay!!) but I'm sure that if we start putting in all our $1 and $2 coins tonight, that we may have enough money saved to maybe do a tour or have some extra spending money for something.

I'm saving 50c's in a $100 tin I got from a $2 shop (cost $1.50). They're great since you cannot raid them - you have to open with a can opener!

I recently got my kids piggy bank contents cashed - we're with suncorp & if you count them into the bags provided (I think they weigh them to verify the correct amount is there), you dont get charged to deposit them into your account.

yes we use the cans you have to open with a can opener aswell just deposited $900 a few weeks ago as the tin was full so weve started another one hope to have at least a couple more hundred in it for our cruise in 8 weeks time we also put any birthday or xmas money we are given in it as well as all our coin and the odd small noye soon adds up and we always have one on the go gives you extra spending money for any holiday even a weekend away and whats so great is once you start you dont miss the money.

I do like the idea of saving all the coins-I too was surprised how much a coke bottle would hold.

Someone else mentioned the commonwealth bank coin counting machine.

You have to try it.:p

You just pour everything you have down this chute. It makes a satisfying noise, coins rattle down, then the machine spits out a receipt to show how much money there was. Anything that was not a coin or not an aussie coin gets spun out into another spot.

Then you just take your receipt up to the teller.:)

Did you know, you can also buy money boxes that add up the money as you go, too. I almost bought one the other day.

My 2 year old grand daughter stays every Thursday and the first thing she does when she goes into my bedroom is say money so I have to empty my purse and give her all my coins.She puts the $1 and $2 in one money box and all the other change into another one.We are off on the Dawn in 6 weeks so I will see then what it has added up to.

Jackie:D

• 5 months later...

Just thought I would check-in with this thread. It's been roughly five months since my last post here, and we are now up to $550 in our 2L Coke bottle. It's not even a quarter full, not even close. We are going to keep filling it until May with the aim of getting it up to $1000. I'm thinking about switching to a 600ml bottle, as it holds nearly $1000 when full.

That's a lot of drinks ;)

Wow!

I have just been reading through this thread and canot believe how quickly that loose change adds up.

We keep two money tins - one for gold, one for silver. Unfortunately the gold tin has a removeable lid so it is constantly raided for luch and bus money. The silver tin is begnning to feel quite heavy.

Not cruising until May 2011 so I think I will step up our efforts at filling the tin.

It’s bad enough that the sneaky kids want some ill gotten gain that they occasionally have raided our tin with a flat bladed knife to take out our cruise money. So now that tin is just a decoy that only gets the silver put in it. We have a smaller tin (1/2 size) that is hidden in the shoes cupboard that we put plenty of gold ones in. It would be half full now and we will open both of them the weekend before we go away for our cruise and take it to our local ANZ which has an automatic coin counter for customers.

Archived