Day early or on the Big Day

codyboy

This is a great thread and the airlines would be "proud" to read all the advice. Years ago (and I am talking many years ago) we had no problem flying into ports the day of a cruise. These days, no matter which port or which country we always fly in at least one day early...and often several days early for cruises in Europe or Asia.

Hank

I am a retired pilot and I have seen a lot of delays with unpleasant consequences for passengers. My own strict rule for long haul travel, with either poor fall back options or a deadline at the other end, is always stay at or near the airport the night before. Delays have a way of piling up on you, it isn't worth the stress of spending thousands on a cruise or holiday and skimping on a 200 or so for a hotel to see it all go badly wrong.

Also I strongly believe in booking through with one carrier (or alliance), swapping from one airlline to another is a danger point, particularly were luggage/LoCo is involved.

I have done "day of" cruise flying before but have gotten away from it. It adds too much stress to start a vacation off. When I have done it, I would get very early AM flights and then I was tired by the time I got on the ship. I'd rather relax the first day rather than throw it away.

I always fly in a day early even if sailing from a North America port. If sailing from Europe, South America or Australia etc I arrive 2-3 days early at least. The farther away from home the earlier I arrive. It seems a shame to fly 1/2 way around the world and then not take advantage of being there and seeing the local sights before the cruise. You relive the stress of any potential travel delays, give you body time to adjust to any time changes and can enjoy the full cruise. Upon boarding look at how many people are dead tired from traveling to get there and miss a day or two of the cruise adjusting.

I think you would buy trip insurance if you did not go the day before. You will probably need it.

Please understand just what "trip insurance" is. It is to protect you from FINANCIAL losses due to COVERED events. It is not a blanket "protector", nor does it in any way involve getting you to a ship. Read the policies.

Too many think that "insurance" equals "guarantee". Nothing could be further from the truth. Depending on the coverage, it may shield you from financial losses. But it's not a replacement for prudent planning and execution of your own travel itinerary.

I fly a moderate amount of time and have not had good luck with airlines being on time. As a result, we will always arrive a day early. I've been delayed by ice, wiring problems, other mechanical problems, thunderstorms at the airport, thunderstorms delaying the plane coming to the airport...and other items.

It's bad enough staying at the airport and arriving home late, but at least my house isn't going to set sail at a precise time and I'm going to miss it. :eek:

CurtS

I am a retired pilot and I have seen a lot of delays with unpleasant consequences for passengers. My own strict rule for long haul travel, with either poor fall back options or a deadline at the other end, is always stay at or near the airport the night before. Delays have a way of piling up on you, it isn't worth the stress of spending thousands on a cruise or holiday and skimping on a 200 or so for a hotel to see it all go badly wrong.

Also I strongly believe in booking through with one carrier (or alliance), swapping from one airlline to another is a danger point, particularly were luggage/LoCo is involved.

Yes, I agree! we spend the night before the flight near the airport! And, we spend the night after we return at the same hotel, on top of that. (Park, sleep, fly sort of thing). Fortunatly, we make the time for all of this, being we have to drive 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get to the airport(MSP):rolleyes:

Archived