Air New Zealand FLights

Shopinpat

Can anyone tell me about the flights from LAX to Akl on Air NZ. We all know one thing they are long. However I was wondering about the business economy seats and the second level of the plane.

What are advantages/disadvantges of sitting in the main cabin or the second story and it is worth the extra $ for the business economy? I know it is not 1st class and I have gone to the web site to review just looking for all you veteran fliers to akl for advice.

Any great tips for the jet lag also appreciated.

Thanks

pat

Can anyone tell me about the flights from LAX to Akl on Air NZ. We all know one thing they are long. However I was wondering about the business economy seats and the second level of the plane.

What are advantages/disadvantges of sitting in the main cabin or the second story and it is worth the extra $ for the business economy? I know it is not 1st class and I have gone to the web site to review just looking for all you veteran fliers to akl for advice.

Any great tips for the jet lag also appreciated.

Thanks

pat

I think you mean Premium Economy, not business economy. Business is a class of its own - and it is a lot more expensive than Economy class. If I won the lottery, I would fly Business class every time - but I haven't!

Premium Economy gives you the Business Class menu, and a little more leg room. However, I understand that the arm rests between seats can be fixed, so you can't lift them up to make a bit more siedways room. Some people think the extra cost is worthwhile, others think it makes little difference. For a long flight, I'd go for it, though!

Air New Zealand offers great service in all cabins. It is a long flight, but you do get a chance to sleep as a result. If you need the legroom go for premium, if not you will be well cared for in coach.

If PE is on the upper deck of a 747, it will be somewhat quieter up there and a lot less "traffic" to disturb you. Also, since the sides of the cabin curve inward (due to being up high), there are sidewall bins between the window seat and the cabin wall. They are large enough to store a mid-size shoulder bag, freeing up underseat space for your legs.

We were on Air New Zealand several years ago LAX to Auckland and returning from Sydney.

We flew Business Class on the upper deck (ANZ does not offer First Class) and had a comfortable flight. Yes, behind the Business Class seats, are several rows of Premium Economy seats, which looked to be the "old" Bus. Class seats. Two on one side and three on the other. The upper deck is preferable as it is quieter and more private.

It is a long flight, and as it is mostly at night, there's not much to see!

We flew in Premium Economy upstairs from Auckland to LA. The leg room is very good but try and get the two seats on the right hand side. We were on the three seat side seated with a stranger and it was a little crowded.

The service and food were superb and the extra stretch out room certainly made a difference.

As an extra comment I would not have enjoyed having a business class bed on the upper deck. Due to the increased number of people caused by the premium economy seats, there was often a queue to use the toilets! (okay in premium economy but unacceptable in Business/First).

Steve.

Thanks all for your info. I am hoping to get the 2 seats upstairs on right side. I did not think first class beds were on this 2nd level have they changed the seating on the 2nd level?

I did think that the second level would have less of a line for the rest rooms.

Pat

The upper level is split between business sleeper seats at the front half and premium economy seating at the rear half.

There are toilets both at the front and rear of the upper deck so with 10 seats at the front and ~23 at the back, and flexible in flight entertainment (so the movie doesn't finish for everyone at the same time) it shouldn't be too bad.

All you Veteran Flyers have you found that the fares go down after Sept 1 for flights to Akl/Syd for Jan or Feb flights? I still do not have my flights and I realize that it could be a hit or miss just wondering if anyone has any experience with these dates and flying.

Thanks

pat

Thanks all for your input and info. Very helpfull

We're flying to Auckland next March and I'm considering upgrading seat to Premium Economy. I'm tall, so legroom is important. Does anyone know if the legrests can be raised (ie. parallel with seat), or do you still have to maintain legs in downward position? Thanks.

Does anyone know if you can purchase an upgrade on ANZ at the gate?
If you want to fly premium economy, the best way is to buy the upgrade when you buy the ticket. Otherwise you are, at best, simply gambling on the availability of some distress offer at the airport.

I don't know about Air New Zealand specifically, but many airlines (and passengers!) are finding that the premium economy cabin is one of the fastest selling cabins, and can be rather more likely to be sold out than either the economy cabin or the business or first class cabins.

From what I recall we had priority check-in, but that was it. No access to the lounge and regular economy boarding.

Once on board, we were treated very well with full business class food and service!

Steve.

ShopinPat, I don't know if you've purchased your tickets on ANZ yet as your post was from about ten days ago, but here is my story. I booked our premium economy tickets on Aug. 3 for departure in late Jan., returning in mid Feb. For the outbound flight all of the "two's" in the upper cabin were taken, although the agent had a few on the "three" side. I took two on the lower deck, as we preferred not to be with another person. On the return I got the last "two" on the upper deck. I just wanted to let you know that I think these seats are quite popular. Then again we are traveling in the high season and on the weekend, so perhaps you'll have more options depending on your dates. I can't imagine there would be any available at check in. Hope this helps.

Don't know if this applies to Premium Economy seats, however, Air New Zealand is now offering a seatsale for flights between LA and Auckland, for travel period Feb.8 to April 30/10. We just booked our oneway economy seats for $659, plus tax (US) PP. Great deal! When I checked, price was better when booking directly with airline.

Are there overhead bins in the premium economy class on the second level or only the storage area on the floor if you have one of the two seat configurations? If you carry on a baggage where is it stored on the second level of 747 aircraft?

Thanks all, again great info.

Pat

Booked our two r/t tickeds today with NZ Air...just economy seats but with the seats they have 31" leg room, plenty for us for the price..Two of us RT San Francisco to Sydney in Jan returning Feb came to $2465.74 There is a 2 hour lay over in Aukland on way down but non stop on way home. Savings for flying economy will buy our two night stay in Sydney before our cruise!

Are there overhead bins in the premium economy class on the second level or only the storage area on the floor if you have one of the two seat configurations?
There are overhead bins. But please note that these are likely to be rather smaller than the "big bins" downstairs and some items of cabin baggage that are small enough to be allowed on board may not actually fit in the upper deck overhead bins. They probably won't fit in the floor level sidewall storage lockers either, but many 747 configurations have a wardrobe/locker/closet somewhere on the upper deck where such bags can be placed. You'll have to see when you get on board - although others with specific NZ upper deck experience may have more to offer.

See these photos:-

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-New-Zealand/Boeing-747-419/1448075/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-New-Zealand/Boeing-747-4F6/1050526/L/

I agree - we've done this trip several times and it's clearly long and can become uncomfortable. If you're lucky enough to not have anyone sitting in the middle seat of a three across, you will be more comfortable. Be sure to get up and walk around as much as you can - I didn't think the extra room in premium economy was all that much. I usually pick an aisle seat that allows me more ease of movement. Try not to carry too much onboard to allow yourself more leg room under the seat ahead of you. Good luck

Archived