Celebrity Fans Try CB Princess Aug 22-29th Review

Solstice23

Let me just start by saying, This was our experience and understand other people can have different waiters and room stewards and overall encounters. This cruise had some positives but for us, some of our encounters left us feeling let down.

Cabin C753 Aft balcony

Dinning time Second 8:15pm in the Palm Dinning room

Positives overall.

Amazing cruise director

3 of the activities staff had great personalities

Comedians were awesome and a blast to watch

Aft balcony was nice

Chefs table EXP, was great and the best food we had all week

Now for the negatives.

The service was the worst we have ever had on a cruise ( other then NCL STAR). The staff looked very unhappy, and like Zombies, most never interacted with the passengers, this was our biggest let down. Here are some examples

1. No sheets on the bed. We had to go to the front desk to ask for some. The the room steward and his boss approach my wife and I in the hall and explained that "we need to request sheets if we would like them" This is not 4-5 star hotel practice but we let it go once we got sheets and were happy.

2. No turn down the first night in our room, we had to call and request fresh towels on the Sunday Morning. My wife opened the door they were handed to her...with no "good Morning" or anything, my wife said "good Morning" nothing back.....

3. Second seating in the Palm.

*First night over 20 minutes late opening.

*then our waited was so slow we got out last and missed getting a seat for the first show. The second night the same, we were seated and ready prior to tables near us yet they all had food before our table did. We went to speak to the Maitre D but were told "he was gone for the night" ?????? then a head waiter came to our table and explained "our waiter has 3 tables we can't expect to be on time for the show every night, our waiter will rotate who will be on time" I am sorry but this is crazy,

*The second night also we had no assistant waiter.

*Princess has no wine or bar people making it slow,

as for the food, in the MDR...It was ok, nothing to write home about. The menus were basic and boring and my Wife had a hard time some nights getting excited about choosing something. Some dishes were good though, desserts lacking. Princess should get rid of the "HOME COOKING" selection, it made us feel like we are at roadhouse or something. The first chilled soup I ordered came in a drink glass with a straw??? tacky I think, then the next night the same, I finally had to ensure I asked for it to come in a bowl. The soup just kept getting stuck in the Straw, its ok for buffet but not a MDR presentation. Compared to Celebrity it was not as good, and my wife asked for benaise sauce and response was "no" it should have been let us try.....She also like creme Brulee and Celebrity would also make this every night for her, Princess said "no" I know Princess fans you will get annoyed, but these are small things we are used to, regards to basic service, and were not even close or trying be be such at our table.

The crown grill......RCCL Chops is much better in decor and service. Princess felt like and slightly more upscale Ponderosa or something. But the food was OK, Dessert was very good also.

Chefs Table. Awesome is all I can say, Presentation and service is what we are used to normally on other ships. I am glad we decided to try this exp, and Everyone should do the same! Also met some wonderful people at this table, what a great evening.

Shows and theatre

Ok the Comedians were great, we enjoyed this on Princess very Much.

The Production shows were hard to listen too and or watch. After 10 years in Drum Corps and many cruises...I was surprised on how bad the 2 shows were. 1 of the singers last name WARD was amazing the others pain full to listen too. Dancers out of time and productions oddly arranged. To be honest the Shows on our Last Celebrity cruise were nothing to write home about either but the singers were better as a whole. Mant times people had to sit on the stairs or stand since not enough seating ( bad design) ship is big so should the theatre

the staff talent show was a good idea, but they let passengers blow up hundred balloons and let passengers hit them around the theatre ( neat idea) until one knocked my Martini that I had 2 sips of and it went all over my wife's Pants. i went to the front desk after to explain ...they offered nothing ...no cleaning no refund...infact he said "Balloons I have never heard this before Balloon's...I then pointed out to him the kids running across the hall with balloons...No one ever did get back to me. Dissapointing

Pool band/ In the wheelhouse band...Awful

Bug Band...OK

Overall ship design

Confusing and the decor dated and blah. But we did like the club fusion I idea, but it was really only ever a dance event floor. The pools were also nice. But we are glad we did not have my father in Law with us, in a wheelchair this ship is hard, stairs everywhere!!! up 2 down 2 ....one elevator to a bar the other doe not...??? its odd overall.

Stateroom

The smallest we have had ever. It was kept clean and neat, and the new flat screens were neat. They need to allow you to check your bill on the TV though...getting in line is such a bother. The washroom was just so small with no ledge for Shampoo etc. Back balcony nice

Buffet.

WE HATED THIS THE MOST.

picture this....

rice pudding next to pasta next to cheese burritos, the in front of them jello cups?????? very odd and nothing ever seemed to be paired correctly it was always a miss matched ensemble. Salad bar was good. But we rather the waiters serve the food rather then using sticky Tongs for everything.

One issue in the Buffet was trying to get cutlery. You would find a table but the staff were so bad, they would walk right by people, and along with us I saw many passengers giving up and getting there own from the waiters cart. No one offering to get you a drink from the bard or anything.

I found the buffet overall the biggest let down compared to or most recent cruise and past ones. As for the pool Grill, after boarding in halifax I thought we would have a pool side lunch, I asked for a veggie burger the reply why "25 minute wait" ????? in a rude tone, the guy for sure did not want to be working that day....It only took me 1 hour to fly home to Toronto and I would need to wait 25 minutes for a veggie burger????? So I had the Chicken Breast burger and it was ok.

The Pizza was gross, sorry pizza fans...and you cannot select your on toppings???

Ice Cream Small...and you had to pay for toppings???? this was all new to us.

Then last night I put our bags out by 830, when we woke up they were still in the hall. I spoke to Guest Services and they yelled at us saying "thats what happens when you don't put them out on time"????? They were annoyed. I think its because our room was the Corner Aft room down a semi private hall? but wait when was this ship built??? give me a break. They said we would need to take the luggage our selves, I held my ground and asked for it to be removed and ready on time. This was our last straw with the CB

Overall we liked some aspects and we feel, that this ship does not represent Princess overall, from people we have talked to on the ship who were also not happy. So we will try Princess again perhaps next summer. But we had many other issues service wise over and over and I am just over it, it's like a bad dream. I know Princess is better the the CB was for us, and hope to see it next time. Overall I am sorry If I offend anyone but really it was just not good this time. We did enjoy the people we met, and the games we won or did not win...HAHA and the Ports. And for the people who say its cutback time, we just sailed on a ship during cutback time from San Juan and it was so much better in service and most food then the CB was on our week.

Any questions I am happy to answer, Sorry again for Princess fans .....we really wanted to enjoy more, but perhaps like I said...Next year might be way better on Princess!

As we remember things I might post more, just tired today

We were on the CB in March and I thought we were the only ones that thought it was a real let down!!!! We even saw people allowing their babies in the pool with diapers on and adults drinking beer out of beer bottles while sitting dangling their feet in the pool. I told the pool attendants and they laughed at me!!!! We LOVE Celebrity!!!

Let me just start by saying, This was our experience and understand other people can have different waiters and room stewards and overall encounters. This cruise had some positives but for us, some of our encounters left us feeling let down.

Cabin C753 Aft balcony

Dinning time Second 8:15pm in the Palm Dinning room

Positives overall.

Amazing cruise director

3 of the activities staff had great personalities

Comedians were awesome and a blast to watch

Aft balcony was nice

Chefs table EXP, was great and the best food we had all week

Now for the negatives.

The service was the worst we have ever had on a cruise ( other then NCL STAR). The staff looked very unhappy, and like Zombies, most never interacted with the passengers, this was our biggest let down. Here are some examples

1. No sheets on the bed. We had to go to the front desk to ask for some. The the room steward and his boss approach my wife and I in the hall and explained that "we need to request sheets if we would like them" This is not 4-5 star hotel practice but we let it go once we got sheets and were happy. Princess only gives bottom sheets. with the european comforter you do ont need a top sheet. i love wrapping myself in at night.

2. No turn down the first night in our room, we had to call and request fresh towels on the Sunday Morning. My wife opened the door they were handed to her...with no "good Morning" or anything, my wife said "good Morning" nothing back..... i have had turn down but was calling at midngiht for towels- needed beach ones for morning. they like to blame the laundry

3. Second seating in the Palm.

*First night over 20 minutes late opening.

*then our waited was so slow we got out last and missed getting a seat for the first show. The second night the same, we were seated and ready prior to tables near us yet they all had food before our table did. We went to speak to the Maitre D but were told "he was gone for the night" ?????? then a head waiter came to our table and explained "our waiter has 3 tables we can't expect to be on time for the show every night, our waiter will rotate who will be on time" I am sorry but this is crazy,

*The second night also we had no assistant waiter.

*Princess has no wine or bar people making it slow, never had this problem- food always came too fast and i would take bathroom breaks so i could slow down dinner. aloways found a seat in the show i n the front

as for the food, in the MDR...It was ok, nothing to write home about. The menus were basic and boring and my Wife had a hard time some nights getting excited about choosing something. Some dishes were good though, desserts lacking. Princess should get rid of the "HOME COOKING" selection, it made us feel like we are at roadhouse or something. The first chilled soup I ordered came in a drink glass with a straw??? tacky I think, then the next night the same, I finally had to ensure I asked for it to come in a bowl. The soup just kept getting stuck in the Straw, its ok for buffet but not a MDR presentation. Compared to Celebrity it was not as good, and my wife asked for benaise sauce and response was "no" it should have been let us try.....She also like creme Brulee and Celebrity would also make this every night for her, Princess said "no" I know Princess fans you will get annoyed, but these are small things we are used to, regards to basic service, and were not even close or trying be be such at our table.

The crown grill......RCCL Chops is much better in decor and service. Princess felt like and slightly more upscale Ponderosa or something. But the food was OK, Dessert was very good also. felt it was about the same..

Chefs Table. Awesome is all I can say, Presentation and service is what we are used to normally on other ships. I am glad we decided to try this exp, and Everyone should do the same! Also met some wonderful people at this table, what a great evening. would do again

Shows and theatre

Ok the Comedians were great, we enjoyed this on Princess very Much.

The Production shows were hard to listen too and or watch. After 10 years in Drum Corps and many cruises...I was surprised on how bad the 2 shows were. 1 of the singers last name WARD was amazing the others pain full to listen too. Dancers out of time and productions oddly arranged. To be honest the Shows on our Last Celebrity cruise were nothing to write home about either but the singers were better as a whole. Mant times people had to sit on the stairs or stand since not enough seating ( bad design) ship is big so should the theatre

the staff talent show was a good idea, but they let passengers blow up hundred balloons and let passengers hit them around the theatre ( neat idea) until one knocked my Martini that I had 2 sips of and it went all over my wife's Pants. i went to the front desk after to explain ...they offered nothing ...no cleaning no refund...infact he said "Balloons I have never heard this before Balloon's...I then pointed out to him the kids running across the hall with balloons...No one ever did get back to me. Dissapointing

Pool band/ In the wheelhouse band...Awful

Bug Band...OK

Overall ship design

Confusing and the decor dated and blah. But we did like the club fusion I idea, but it was really only ever a dance event floor. The pools were also nice. But we are glad we did not have my father in Law with us, in a wheelchair this ship is hard, stairs everywhere!!! up 2 down 2 ....one elevator to a bar the other doe not...??? its odd overall. i still find deck 7 hard to walk thru

Stateroom

The smallest we have had ever. It was kept clean and neat, and the new flat screens were neat. They need to allow you to check your bill on the TV though...getting in line is such a bother. The washroom was just so small with no ledge for Shampoo etc. Back balcony nice i gave up standard cabins after one cruise

Buffet.

WE HATED THIS THE MOST.

picture this....

rice pudding next to pasta next to cheese burritos, the in front of them jello cups?????? very odd and nothing ever seemed to be paired correctly it was always a miss matched ensemble. Salad bar was good. But we rather the waiters serve the food rather then using sticky Tongs for everything.

One issue in the Buffet was trying to get cutlery. You would find a table but the staff were so bad, they would walk right by people, and along with us I saw many passengers giving up and getting there own from the waiters cart. No one offering to get you a drink from the bard or anything.

I found the buffet overall the biggest let down compared to or most recent cruise and past ones. As for the pool Grill, after boarding in halifax I thought we would have a pool side lunch, I asked for a veggie burger the reply why "25 minute wait" ????? in a rude tone, the guy for sure did not want to be working that day....It only took me 1 hour to fly home to Toronto and I would need to wait 25 minutes for a veggie burger????? So I had the Chicken Breast burger and it was ok.

The Pizza was gross, sorry pizza fans...and you cannot select your on toppings???

Ice Cream Small...and you had to pay for toppings???? this was all new to us. yuo had a bad day- princess use to ahve the best pizza at sea. i hated RCI's and celebrity.

Then last night I put our bags out by 830, when we woke up they were still in the hall. I spoke to Guest Services and they yelled at us saying "thats what happens when you don't put them out on time"????? They were annoyed. I think its because our room was the Corner Aft room down a semi private hall? but wait when was this ship built??? give me a break. They said we would need to take the luggage our selves, I held my ground and asked for it to be removed and ready on time. This was our last straw with the CB

Overall we liked some aspects and we feel, that this ship does not represent Princess overall, from people we have talked to on the ship who were also not happy. So we will try Princess again perhaps next summer. But we had many other issues service wise over and over and I am just over it, it's like a bad dream. I know Princess is better the the CB was for us, and hope to see it next time. Overall I am sorry If I offend anyone but really it was just not good this time. We did enjoy the people we met, and the games we won or did not win...HAHA and the Ports. And for the people who say its cutback time, we just sailed on a ship during cutback time from San Juan and it was so much better in service and most food then the CB was on our week.

Any questions I am happy to answer, Sorry again for Princess fans .....we really wanted to enjoy more, but perhaps like I said...Next year might be way better on Princess!

As we remember things I might post more, just tired today

i prefer the croewn or a newer ship. the spa is good and the 2 adult pools are wonderful

I am elite on Princess, will be elite on Celebrity after our cruise on the Equniox in October.

We completed a cruise on the new Ruby Princess, a TA in April of this year, 16 days, from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona.

I can say I have never experienced anything like what you describe on any Princess cruise.

We have been disappointed on some cruise out of San Francisco RT to Mexico on Princess, felt overall service was not up to par but nothing like you are describing.

I read your review because we have not been impressed with the food on Celebrity in general and I was hoping from your review I would get some sense of how the two lines compare. We have not been on Celebrity for a few years. Unfortunately your experience on CB was off the wall.

We usually go on "new: ships, i.e., we are booked on the Equinox 09, Eurodam 10, and Queen Victoria 11. I mention we cruise on new ships because we find cruise lines seem to go all out on new ones generally. Believe it is part of their marketing campaign.

i prefer the croewn or a newer ship. the spa is good and the 2 adult pools are wonderful

Thanks!

We like sheets!!! LOL and should not be made to feel bad for asking for them? but I understand your point, As for the Pizza the Mille class ships baked our pizza right there for you with what you want on it. Princess had thin thin ...boring pizza with hardly any cheese on it. I heard great things about the pizza and was looking forward to it

As for the food... Yes cutbacks on all lines... But Celebrity is trying to get back to the old standards and we noticed that this past March on the Summit.

Thanks!

We like sheets!!! LOL and should not be made to feel bad for asking for them? but I understand your point, As for the Pizza the Mille class ships baked our pizza right there for you with what you want on it. Princess had thin thin ...boring pizza with hardly any cheese on it. I heard great things about the pizza and was looking forward to it

As for the food... Yes cutbacks on all lines... But Celebrity is trying to get back to the old standards and we noticed that this past March on the Summit.

I have not been on Princess since 08. I have 12 cruise o n that line and get only a mini suite. I agree that the standard cabin is small. but i would not be happy in an M class standard cabin either. on all but my first cruise i had a mini suite. on the M class I have booked an SS.

Pizza- i have always loved thin crust pizza ecept when deep dish was al lthe rage. I sailed hte CB and loved their pizza and the crowns etc. love the fact i can get pizza by he pool and not in a cover up.

well, i will know more about food after the Equinox- Solstice i thought was ok but the spec places great.

Thanks for your review. Glad to know that there are others out there who think that Princess isn't even close to the premium line they claim.

I sailed on them at the end of May on the CB out of NY and I will be happy if I don't sail on them again.

Overall it was a disappointing trip. I got sick at the grill one day and the Maitre'd told me to eat crackers at night when he wondered why I wasn't eating!

The bands at the pool and in the lounges were so loud that you couldn't talk to the people next to you. I used to leave the pool at noon when the afternoon rock concert began. I love going to loud concerts but I don't want them at the pool or in a lounge were I want to talk to people on the ship.

There certainly were no perks on them for being a frequent Princess cruiser either.

Back to Celebrity next month for hopefully a better trip.

Thanks!

Princess pizza is much closer to what you will find in Italy. Celebrity pizza taste like frozen from the grocery. To each his own.

The CB is the only Princess ship we have sailed on. We did not find it nearly as offensive as you, and we had a good time but ----

We routinely had to wait 20 minutes to get waited on by the bar staff in that bar on the 18th floor.

The buffet was a nightmare in the morning. too many people for too few seats.

You had to be at the show 45-50 minutes early to get a seat. they should be ashamed of that situation.

Thanks for your review. Glad to know that there are others out there who think that Princess isn't even close to the premium line they claim.

I sailed on them at the end of May on the CB out of NY and I will be happy if I don't sail on them again.

Overall it was a disappointing trip. I got sick at the grill one day and the Maitre'd told me to eat crackers at night when he wondered why I wasn't eating!

The bands at the pool and in the lounges were so loud that you couldn't talk to the people next to you. I used to leave the pool at noon when the afternoon rock concert began. I love going to loud concerts but I don't want them at the pool or in a lounge were I want to talk to people on the ship.

There certainly were no perks on them for being a frequent Princess cruiser either.

Back to Celebrity next month for hopefully a better trip.

Thanks

Well I am getting told on the princess board that I am making this up! ( basically in a mater of words LOL) not much support over on that board, yet everyone we met on the cruise was not enjoying the Service on the CB

Princess pizza is much closer to what you will find in Italy. Celebrity pizza taste like frozen from the grocery. To each his own. no wonder i liked princess pizza

The CB is the only Princess ship we have sailed on. We did not find it nearly as offensive as you, and we had a good time but ----

We routinely had to wait 20 minutes to get waited on by the bar staff in that bar on the 18th floor. never waited more than 5 minutes in any bar

The buffet was a nightmare in the morning. too many people for too few seats. never go-room service

You had to be at the show 45-50 minutes early to get a seat. they should be ashamed of that situation.

iwent late all the time and always foubnd seats up front-always

pool- was noisy so i sat near an a quiet adult pool.

Princess pizza is much closer to what you will find in Italy. Celebrity pizza taste like frozen from the grocery. To each his own.

We routinely had to wait 20 minutes to get waited on by the bar staff in that bar on the 18th floor.

The buffet was a nightmare in the morning. too many people for too few seats.

Thanks...

I never eat frozen pizza! LOL

But I watch them load my toppings of choice on celebrity and put it in the oven! It was wonderful pizza. I am aware of Pizza In Italy we had it last summer while cruising. If princess offered more toppings to add or even to put it back in the oven to heat it would be better!

We were on the CB in March and I thought we were the only ones that thought it was a real let down!!!! We even saw people allowing their babies in the pool with diapers on and adults drinking beer out of beer bottles while sitting dangling their feet in the pool. I told the pool attendants and they laughed at me!!!! We LOVE Celebrity!!!

I agree, But on the Princess board WOW my review ....its like we made it all up?

TORONTO,

I just read your review on the PRINCESS site.

Those people are nuts.

I am sure you had problems on your cruise like you said.

I have been on 75 cruises so far going back to 1975, and have had some problems on a lot of ships , no cruise line is perfect, i would try PRINCESS again as i am sure you will like it.

KC

As much as i have been on Princess i still find things i like or dislike about that line. I feel officers and service people are friendlier on Celebrity. i only had cold pizza once on princess. I threw it out and went back for more and it was hot. i try to get a hot pie.

But the food in the MDR was not hot nor in the spec places-did find it much better on Solstice.

i do like the port of calls they use.

i gave RCI two try's and know it is not for me but I believe you have to give everything two try's.

The OP's review echos what we encountered on our honeymoon on the Grand Princess (14 day Med, Barcelona-Venice). We tried Princess to see how it compared to our previous X cruises, and although it was nice, we prefer X.

The main items that we didn't like:

- ANNOUNCEMENTS

- paying for ice cream

- no robes

- no beach bags

- less MDR staff (no sommelier, no bar staff, no asst waiter)

- adults only pool area constantly had kids

Things we prefered/liked:

- going to the lounge for muster instead of on the deck

- MUTS

iwent late all the time and always foubnd seats up front-always

pool- was noisy so i sat near an a quiet adult pool.

The bar we had such a problem with was "Skywalkers". It opened at 5 pm, and usually had 20-40 people soon after opening. There would be 1 bartender and 1 waiter. to get a drink you pretty much had to go to the bar to order for your table. A 2nd waiter would show up around 5:30-5:45 which would be a great help. since this is the best bar for a view during sail away they should expect many people at that time.

we had excellent service at Churchill's(midship), but there were seldom more than 10 people there at 5:00.

concerning the problem with the buffet being over crowed we also went with room service many days. Nonetheless, I've never experienced

the degree of overcrowding at the buffet as on Caribbean Princess.

In the theater The first two rows were also the last to fill on our cruise, but they filled at least 30-40 minutes before the show.

We had a good time on our Princess cruise, and I would sail with them again, but I would seek a less crowed ship.:)

The bar we had such a problem with was "Skywalkers". It opened at 5 pm, and usually had 20-40 people soon after opening. There would be 1 bartender and 1 waiter. to get a drink you pretty much had to go to the bar to order for your table. A 2nd waiter would show up around 5:30-5:45 which would be a great help. since this is the best bar for a view during sail away they should expect many people at that time. funny! I never went there during the day-did ont realize they open that early. great views but i was always outside at 5 pm. sorry you had that problem.

we had excellent service at Churchill's(midship), but there were seldom more than 10 people there at 5:00. I love that bar compared to the sports bar they added to most ships. glad the Crown that they went back to a real cigar bar. but since the waiter came from another bar at times there was a wait.

concerning the problem with the buffet being over crowed we also went with room service many days. Nonetheless, I've never experienced

the degree of overcrowding at the buffet as on Caribbean Princess. On 12 princess cruise nevr once went ot the breakfast buffet nor at lunch. I had pizza or a burger for lunch.

In the theater The first two rows were also the last to fill on our cruise, but they filled at least 30-40 minutes before the show. wow! i get ther around 5 minutes before the show-between dinenr and he show i was smoking or i n the ladies.

We had a good time on our Princess cruise, and I would sail with them again, but I would seek a less crowed ship.:)

the Dawn is the smallest but only sit down pizza unless it has changed. i prefer the new ships or the diamond.

the Dawn is the smallest but only sit down pizza unless it has changed. i prefer the new ships or the diamond.

As for the theatre seating, the theatre does not hold the amount that it could for the size of the CB. My wife is a teacher and we sail peak times on all sailing's and never had so much trouble getting a seat. 3 times this week we had to sit on the stairs and or stand like others. Perhaps we could have been earlier and get those last seats, but our waiter was so slow not personal and MIA that we never got out early. The one night we did have good seats was the night of the Chefs table.

Archived