H1n1

curiousx

The story pasted below (with link) has me questioning how Seabourn plans to cope with an onboard outbreak of H1N1 (aka swine flu). We are on the Legend transatlantic in November, noting November is being forecast as the start of the flu season for the Northern Hemisphere. According to the media reports one sees, it's not likely that the vaccine will be available in many countries by then. Hmmm

-------------------------

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/great+time+travel/1942757/story.html

"I often bring up the topic of influenza because the type of travel that probably puts you at the greatest risk for that is a type of travel that really is one of the lowest-risk types otherwise. And that's cruise ship travel.

"Influenza can spread very rapidly in cruise ships and can put all the vulnerable people flat on their backs for several days. What a way to ruin a nice holiday." Cruise ships are vulnerable, he says, because groups of people are travelling in close quarters -- narrow passageways, groups sitting together at meals, plenty of mingling.

"You're always shaking hands and meeting people. A lot of organized activities. They're very social things." He recommends a flu shot before cruising."

I imagine they have a plan, just as they do for the Norovirus; careful hand washing and general good hygiene practices. Actually, the young and pregnant women are more vulnerable than those of us who are older and who have already been exposed to some of the swine flu viruses years ago. Best bet: Don't share your champagne glasses.

I am sure that all of the cruise lines know how they will deal with this and I agree with Jane. You will likely find that they will want those passengers affected to stay in their rooms as they do with the Norovirus.

We can all do our part to help as well through good hygeine but the reality is that won't be enough should the outbreak be severe.

Keith

I think many countries are just about ready to go with mass inoculations.

In Australia trials have begun. The government has ordered 21 million doses which is enough to treat every person in this country if only one dose is required.

The plan is to treat the most vulnerable first and then move on to the general population.

We have been hit particulary hard here in the southern hemisphere winter although thank goodness the illness has been relatively mild in most people.

Steve.

If it spreads rapidly across the land masses, but doesn't hit the ship, the passengers onboard may be forced to sail endlessly around the globe until the provisions run out or they scuttle it on a lush deserted island.

Where do I sign up?

I do find I interesting to observe how few passengers actually use the hand sanitizer dispensers set up all around the ship. Do you think most people just don't know what they are? Personally I never pass one by without using it and I always carry hand sanitizer in my purse and disposable antiseptic wipes( very handy on airplanes).An ounce of prevention...

"Seasonal human influenza viruses are thought to spread from person to person primarily through large-particle respiratory droplet transmission (e.g., when an infected person coughs or sneezes near a susceptible person). Transmission via large-particle droplets requires close contact between source and recipient persons because droplets do not remain suspended in the air and generally travel only a short distance (< 6 feet). Contact with contaminated surfaces is another possible source of transmission and transmission via droplet nuclei (also called “airborne” transmission). Because data on the transmission of novel H1N1 viruses are limited, the potential for ocular, conjunctival, or gastrointestinal infection is unknown. Since this is a novel influenza A virus in humans, transmission from infected persons to close contacts might be common. All respiratory secretions and bodily fluids (diarrheal stool) of novel influenza A (H1N1) cases should be considered potentially infectious."

Source: US Dept. Of Health & Human Service/ Center for Disease Control

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/identifyingpatients.htm

Translation: May seem a no-brainer but...When coughing & NO tissue available PLEASE cough into your sleeve. DO dispose of contaminated tissue in appropriate trash containers e.g. not on the DR table or chair next to you ! Contaminated surfaces DO pose a transmission risk SO...be your own advocate even if it does give the impression of being an OCD germophobe. Handling elevator buttons, S&P shakers with antiseptic wipes. Proactively share your concerns with the ship’s HD to assure that ALL and ANY preventive AND corrective measures are implemented to reduce transmission. I am sharing this info NOT trying to be a know it all, rather because I lived through a 14% (confirmed by US DHHS/ FDA) Noro Virus gone rampant outbreak a few years ago on the NCL America Pride of Aloha – needless to say no longer in operation there.

Leah, RN

I do find I interesting to observe how few passengers actually use the hand sanitizer dispensers set up all around the ship. Do you think most people just don't know what they are? Personally I never pass one by without using it and I always carry hand sanitizer in my purse and disposable antiseptic wipes( very handy on airplanes).An ounce of prevention...

We do what you do. My wife carries a sanitizer in her purse and the wipes and we use the one on the ships all the time. But each person has their own habits so in many instances some don't use the hand sanitizers because they don't see the need. Just look at how people wash (or not) wash their hands. There are ones who don't wash, some who do the two fingers under the faucet, ones who take a second or two, and then there are ones who do it the real way like a doctor would.

Keith

The ABC's would be great for children. Another is to sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Nothing like a bathroom awash in Mozart.

...or "Happy Birthay" once....maybe we should provide advice to SB to place such signage in the restrooms for those large "children", supposedly adults who fail to preform appropriate hand-washing.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Ugh, oh, am I suggesting lavatory police?:D

I don't think signs on any ship or any cruise line will work. Sometimes, I feel that I could write about this topic plus the laundry rooms on ships.

In terms of song, sing whatever works but wash hands for a minimum of twenty secnnds and if possible quite a bit longer. Think about a doctor getting ready for surgery. No two seconds under the water or two fingers.

Keith

I am constantly amazed when I use restrooms in nice restaurants how few people actually wash their hands at all( forget about even doing it long enough or using soap). It does not seem to have much to do with sophistication. I can't wait until the vaccines are ready this fall. You can believe that Sailor Boy and I will be bugging our doctor until his supply is in. We have already gotten the pneumonia vaccine which they think will add another level of protection. It is scary to think we could be on a ship when an outbreak occurs.But it will not make us stop cruising.

I recently cruised on P&Os Pacific Dawn that was nicknamed The Swine Flu Ship and it was amazing to see the number of people who did not use the hand sanitizers.

There were a lot of people with bad colds (me included) and every time we got to a port there were health inspectors waiting for us. In order to go ashore, we all had to fill in forms to say that we didn't have any flu like symptoms. I did not get off the ship because I knew they wouldn't let me ashore but I saw and heard about many people who had flu like symptoms and lied on their form so that they would be allowed on shore.

Australia has had a very bad flu season this year - many people have died from Swine Flu but really it's no different from any other flu season - people die from normal flu all the time..just the publicity has been different.

Cheers

ging466

Of course washing your hands is very important, but you also get infected by breathing and inhaling what already infected people spread around, also through air conditioning systems and what to think of planes?

Some people don't kiss because they have a cold, but then they shake your hand, which is worse. I'm not going to stay at home for it. I never had the real flu I think.

But some precautions don't harm.

Marja

There are some basic precautions that are just smart to do and they are recommended by the health community.

The challenge when on a cruise ship is that in many ways you are confined to a very small area and it is very easy to pass on germs. But washing hands often, not touching ones face with their hands, and also using proper hygeine can not only reduce the chance of one getting sick but it also can help to minimize getting others sick.

As to the flu there are a couple of positives out there. There have been far fewer emergency situations than originally expected. Keep in mind that the countries that have been experiencing the outbreak have not had the flu vaccination. The early indications are that the flu is more like a typical flu in terms of death rates and other catatrophic situations. The concern is still that it could get worse over time.

Keith

There are lots of good (and some hilarious) suggestions as to what passengers can do. And one appreciates the reassurances (!) that Seabourn passengers would likely have received some immunity back in 1957 or so.

However, I would very much like to see a list of suggestions for what we expect the cruise line to do, in addition to ubiquitous signage re handwashing etc. What about, for example, having a stock of tamiflu on board (this is not the vaccine, which takes some weeks to kick in, but an antiviral considered to have some beneficial impact for those who fall ill).

What about having some plans for setting up a deck, or part of it, as a quarantine area? How about communicating the plans for the kitchen if there is an outbreak? Will the ship have a ventilator on board and crew trained to operate it? Will Seabourn ensure ensuring the ship's doctor/nurse have had a bit of special training related to H1N1.

And so on.

There are lots of good (and some hilarious) suggestions as to what passengers can do. And one appreciates the reassurances (!) that Seabourn passengers would likely have received some immunity back in 1957 or so.

However, I would very much like to see a list of suggestions for what we expect the cruise line to do, in addition to ubiquitous signage re handwashing etc. What about, for example, having a stock of tamiflu on board (this is not the vaccine, which takes some weeks to kick in, but an antiviral considered to have some beneficial impact for those who fall ill).

What about having some plans for setting up a deck, or part of it, as a quarantine area? How about communicating the plans for the kitchen if there is an outbreak? Will the ship have a ventilator on board and crew trained to operate it? Will Seabourn ensure ensuring the ship's doctor/nurse have had a bit of special training related to H1N1.

And so on.

Excellent!

I wonder who if anyone [Dan?} has a suggestion for effectively communicating our concerns [as curiousx suggests] and recommendations to SB, e.g. who to contact, most effective/ impactful way of contact?

In all honesty do you all really think the cruise lines do not already have plans for dealing with an outbreak of the virus. They already all do for the Noru Virus.

I think if you have suggestions, you can write to Seabourn but IMHO I think they have this addressed already.

Keith

Archived