H1n1

curiousx

Excellent!

I wonder who if anyone [Dan?} has a suggestion for effectively communicating our concerns [as curiousx suggests] and recommendations to SB, e.g. who to contact, most effective/ impactful way of contact?

Swine flu has been 'ravaging' Australia all winter, it is just nearing the end of our winter here.

About two months ago, I flew from Singapore, also a known outbreak zone, and a few days later came down with chills (some get a fever) aches, upset stomach, raging sore throat, general lethargy, in fact all the symptoms of Flu.

It was pretty bad at night, and it felt on the worst two nights that my lungs were filling with mucus making breathing a challenge.

All in all it was not pleasant. However, it was not the worst I've ever felt, and it lasted about two weeks (I'm including the 2nd week where I had a dreadful dry cough but felt more or less Ok if a little worn out.)

Interestingly, the Doctors (two of them conferred on the day I presented) did not treat it any differently from any other flu, they said that the chances were I had contracted H1N1, but they were under no instructions from the dept of health to 'confirm' or 'count' the cases. Even by that early in the piece, the 'official' line was that H1N1 was to be dealt with like the seasonal flu, which it more or less is, it's just a new strain.

My DW did not get it, and niether did our neigbours, whom I had contact with in that time.

Both the Australian and Singapore Governments have long-since dismantled the Thermal screening process at airport arrivals, and swine flu is not even making the news of both countries anymore, in spite of the fact it is no doubt still out there.

I think it's helpful to keep front and centre the fact that underneath the sensational headlines, H1N1 is, at present, treated by Clinicians as just another nasty strain of Flu. The distinction, as was mentioned earlier, is the risk it will mutate. If it does it will no longer be H1N1, will it? ;)

Another interesting quirk of H1N1 is that younger (Under 35) people seem to be the victims who have the most serious complications, and fatalities, most older and otherwise healthy, patients, get through it pretty much in one piece.

Thousands of people worldwide die of the 'regular' seasonal flu every winter, it's just not sensationalised by the press. I hope my own experience with what was assumed to be H1N1 will help calm some jittery sailors out there.

Just a little PS to the above.

I was offered antibiotics, but I elected to ride it out and let my own body do the fighting.

Naturally, had I worsened, then I would have asked for 'backup'!

I found litres of fresh juice, and aspirin when needed, were quite adequate to keep me both comfortable and hydrated.

My reasoning is that getting through these things un-medicated if you possibly can, helps your body recognise the virus and prepare for future attacks. Any Clinician will tell you that the less you 'casually' use antibiotics, the more potent their effect when one life-and-death day you REALLY need them.

• 2 weeks later...

Great article. It is so simple yet many don't follow it. Wash hands thoroughly and often. Thanks for sharing this.

Speaking of flu, we just got our flu shots (regular flu) this past Friday. We will get the swine flu shot when we can after those who must get it before us and after reading all of the different sites we decided not to wait on the regular flu shot.

Keith

Trials of the vaccine are complete for people over 9 years old. Vaccinations are set to start within a couple of weeks. The government has paid for 21 million doses; enough for our entire population.

Everyone is being encouraged to take up the offer of free vaccination, with those at most risk priortised in the first wave.

As an aside, Australian company CSL has just won a contract to provide 40 million doses to the USA. Two other contracts have been awarded by the US government to European suppliers to provide vaccine as well.

Apparently US pharmaceutical companies are unable to provide enough doses, due to their concentration on high value, high profit manufacture. The flu vaccine is relatively cheap with a low profit margin.

I do find I interesting to observe how few passengers actually use the hand sanitizer dispensers set up all around the ship.

Times are changing. Just returned from a cruise in the Mediterranean and everyone was using hand sanitizer . . . even the men:). H1N1 seems to have everyone's attention.

In all honesty do you all really think the cruise lines do not already have plans for dealing with an outbreak of the virus.

Silverseas recently required us to complete an H1N1 questionnaire prior to boarding and we were told that if we had symptoms, we would be denied boarding. When we disembarked in Istanbul last week we had a similar questionnaire to complete for the Turkish authorities. I wondered if I said I was symptomatic, they would deny me entry to Turkey and I'd have stay on the ship :p !!

We had to fill in a questionnaire before boarding Legend, it asked if we had symptoms of sore throat, sniffly nose etc for the last 2 days, if we had we would be assessed by the ships doctor free of charge!!!!! Aeroplanes and ships air conditioning ALWAYS give me a sniffly nose and sore throat but I still answered "no" I did not have swine flu and was not taking chances but it did make me wonder if someone who really had swine flu joined, would they just not tick the "no" box too?? I had to laugh 2 days into the cruise when one of the bar stewards said he was trying to shake off the flu!!!!!!! Obviously carried over from the previous cruise so should not we as passengers have asked the ship to provide a similar questionnaire?

We had to fill in a questionnaire before boarding Legend, it asked if we had symptoms of sore throat, sniffly nose etc for the last 2 days, if we had we would be assessed by the ships doctor free of charge!!!!! Aeroplanes and ships air conditioning ALWAYS give me a sniffly nose and sore throat but I still answered "no" I did not have swine flu and was not taking chances but it did make me wonder if someone who really had swine flu joined, would they just not tick the "no" box too?? I had to laugh 2 days into the cruise when one of the bar stewards said he was trying to shake off the flu!!!!!!! Obviously carried over from the previous cruise so should not we as passengers have asked the ship to provide a similar questionnaire?

You're absolutely right Kathryn! Crew members often tell you they have a bad cold and I even asked them to wash their hands on several occasions after I saw them touching their nose or sneezing.

I have a sore throat now for a couple of days already! Did I get it from you?

Regards!

Marja

• 4 weeks later...
I do find I interesting to observe how few passengers actually use the hand sanitizer dispensers set up all around the ship. Do you think most people just don't know what they are? Personally I never pass one by without using it and I always carry hand sanitizer in my purse and disposable antiseptic wipes( very handy on airplanes).An ounce of prevention...

Agreed, most certainly. An ounce of prevention and all of that. But I also bring along some very good hand lotion to deal with the horribly chapped hands that result!!! (I definitely prefer chapped hands to Norovirus or H1N1 though!)

"Seasonal human influenza viruses are thought to spread from person to person primarily through large-particle respiratory droplet transmission (e.g., when an infected person coughs or sneezes near a susceptible person). Transmission via large-particle droplets requires close contact between source and recipient persons because droplets do not remain suspended in the air and generally travel only a short distance (< 6 feet). Contact with contaminated surfaces is another possible source of transmission and transmission via droplet nuclei (also called “airborne” transmission). Because data on the transmission of novel H1N1 viruses are limited, the potential for ocular, conjunctival, or gastrointestinal infection is unknown. Since this is a novel influenza A virus in humans, transmission from infected persons to close contacts might be common. All respiratory secretions and bodily fluids (diarrheal stool) of novel influenza A (H1N1) cases should be considered potentially infectious."

Source: US Dept. Of Health & Human Service/ Center for Disease Control

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/identifyingpatients.htm

Translation: May seem a no-brainer but...When coughing & NO tissue available PLEASE cough into your sleeve. DO dispose of contaminated tissue in appropriate trash containers e.g. not on the DR table or chair next to you ! Contaminated surfaces DO pose a transmission risk SO...be your own advocate even if it does give the impression of being an OCD germophobe. Handling elevator buttons, S&P shakers with antiseptic wipes. Proactively share your concerns with the ship’s HD to assure that ALL and ANY preventive AND corrective measures are implemented to reduce transmission. I am sharing this info NOT trying to be a know it all, rather because I lived through a 14% (confirmed by US DHHS/ FDA) Noro Virus gone rampant outbreak a few years ago on the NCL America Pride of Aloha – needless to say no longer in operation there.

Leah, RN

Leah - we survived an outbreak on Crystal - and they did not enforce quarantine, and even let known-to-be-ill with Norovirus passengers eat at the buffet (staff was saying "oh yes, he's sick, she's sick etc)! We had done 10 cruises with Crystal - that was our last.:cool:

Leah - we survived an outbreak on Crystal - and they did not enforce quarantine, and even let known-to-be-ill with Norovirus passengers eat at the buffet (staff was saying "oh yes, he's sick, she's sick etc)! We had done 10 cruises with Crystal - that was our last.:cool:

Good move, good for you 4kitties - vote with your purse! Have you checked Crystal's Green Book Vessel Inspection Report card since the outbeak? I hope you posted your experience and outrage on the Crystal boards - do not be intimidated by the Crsytal cheerleaders or any cruiselines for that matter - you're doing a public service !

Fortunately, we had no apprent/ observable illnesses on my recent Odyssey sailing (9/26/09) - no observale URI symptoms - can't speak to Noro symptoms though - if they existed it was not apparent at all.

Leah, RN

Archived