price comparison and discrepancy

meow!

I just booked our first cruise on Silver Sea -- a 7 day cruise in a Vista Suite to Scandinavia for next summer at "60% off" with included economy air at $4250/person and a Virtuoso credit of $200/person. Our first choice cruise line is SeaDream due to its unique blend of "informal luxury", but we decided we wanted to see St. Petersburg next summer so we'll begrudgingly scour our closets for formal and informal attire along with our elegant casual duds and haul it all half way around the world. ;)

Back to the topic at hand. My observation from meow!s comparison was that per diem fares on "premium" Oceania are surprisingly close to per diem fares on luxury all inclusive Silver Sea. Frankly, I'm not quite sure how Silver Sea can offer a luxury, all-inclusive product at the price I'm paying. We'll be managing our expectations for our first Silver Sea cruise next summer.

I just booked our first cruise on Silver Sea -- a 7 day cruise in a Vista Suite to Scandinavia for next summer at "60% off" with included economy air at $4250/person and a Virtuoso credit of $200/person. Our first choice cruise line is SeaDream due to its unique blend of "informal luxury", but we decided we wanted to see St. Petersburg next summer so we'll begrudgingly scour our closets for formal and informal attire along with our elegant casual duds and haul it all half way around the world. ;)

Back to the topic at hand. My observation from meow!s comparison was that per diem fares on "premium" Oceania are surprisingly close to per diem fares on luxury all inclusive Silver Sea. Frankly, I'm not quite sure how Silver Sea can offer a luxury, all-inclusive product at the price I'm paying. We'll be managing our expectations for our first Silver Sea cruise next summer.

You have a very good approach. We find that each cruise line in the luxury market has similarities and difference and there are clearly going to be differences just based on the size of the ship. You'll find that there are items that can be offered on Silversea that can't be offered on SeaDream because of the size of the respective ships.

In terms of pricing, I suspect the bottom line of most cruise lines is not what it was just a couple of years ago and we all know that this is true for the luxury lines. Long term I don't think most of these lines can sustain the pricing but they realized that it was better to fill the ships by lowering the prices than to have them a far less capacity by maintaining the prices. So, for many this is a great time to cruise as it is a good time to purchase certain items such as automobiles and homes, etc.

Keith

Archived