price comparison and discrepancy

meow!

Owner's 1 Suite $30,595 $12,238 60%

Grand 1 Suite $26,395 $10,558 60%

Royal 1 Suite $24,995 $9,998 60%

Silver Suite $23,595 $9,438 60%

Midship Veranda Suite $14,595 $5,838 60% ... $584 per diem for 295 sq.ft.

Veranda Suite $13,895 $5,558 60% ... $556 per diem for 295 sq.ft

Vista Suite $11,095 $4,438 60% ... $444 per diem for 240 sq.ft. no balcony

Silver SKY Air Programme Package:

Economy Economy Promo Business Business Promo

East $2,299 Not Available $4,699 Not Available

Central $2,399 Not Available $4,899 Not Available

West $2,499 Not Available $5,199 Not Available

The above are for voyage 1030 Venice to Athens, October, 2010, copied and pasted from Silversea's own website. However, on the Silversea 2010 "Voyages" calendar (hard copy), page 73, it says "Free Air", with a footnote "Free air promotions available from selected gateways for a limited time ... refer to page 162" which lists the gateway airports, saying that it is subject to availability ... So legally saying, Silversea can withdraw the free air offer. But nonetheless once the offer is printed on a widely distributed brochure, any such change can be regarded as a discrepancy. So the first part of my question is, which version is right?

Now let us go to the second part of this discussion. Since we have just completed an Oceania 12 day effectively similar Venice to Athens itinerary just last October, it is interesting as an exercise, to see how prices compare, again for October, 2010 on Oceania. For this, we copied and pasted the following from Oceania's website:

Suites

OS-Owner's Suite $21,998 $10,483

Vista Suite $19,998 $9,483

PH1-Penthouse 1 $15,198 $7,083 ... $590 per diem for 322 sq.ft.

PH2-Penthouse 2 $14,598 $6,783 ... $565 per diem for 322 sq.ft.

PH3-Penthouse 3 $14,198 $6,583 ... $549 per diem for 322 sq.ft.

Veranda

A1-Concierge Level 1 $12,198 $5,583 ... $465 per diem for 216 sq.ft.

A2-Concierge Level 2 $11,798 $5,383 ... $449 per diem for 216 sq.ft

A3-Concierge Level 3 $11,598 $5,283 ... $440 per diem for 216 sq.ft.

B1-Veranda Stateroom 1 $11,398 $5,183 ... $432 per diem for 216 sq.ft.

B2-Veranda Stateroom 2 $11,198 $5,083 ... $424 per diem for 216 sq.ft.

Ocean View

C1-Deluxe Ocean View 1 $9,998 $4,483 ... $374 per diem for 170 sq.ft. no balcony

C2-Deluxe Ocean View 2 $9,798 $4,383 ... $365 per diem for 170 sq.ft. no balcony

(comments on the above lines after ... are feline additions)

So, from the above, if we assume that the food and service on both lines are in the same league (which is debatable), if the Silversea fares include air (the Oceania ones do), then clearly Silversea is of better value this time, given that Silversea includes tips and drinks which Oceania does not. On the other hand, if the Silversea fares no longer include air, then Oceania will be cheaper, and by how much depends on the worth of the air fare!

P.S. The Silver Cloud carries only 295 passengers while Oceania R ships carry 680.

Meow, very nice writeup and analysis.

In terms of the air I wonder if there is really no air on that voyage or it is a typo on the web site. When I looked at some of the other voyages for October of 2010 on the same ship and on some of the other ships they all had free economy air but as you correctly not this one say not available. So, either it is not available because of the embarkation/disembarkation city or the web site is wrong.

Keith

Thanks for making the analysis.

IMHO, I would take SS hands down in order to travel on the smaller ship and have all inclusive amenities. I don't think many people choose SS based on price. Once you've sailed on SS or SB, you either prefer that atmosphere or you don't! I would probably never take the "free air" since I prefer to make my own travel arrangements and arrive several days early.

There are other differences too. In particular, check out the space ratio and passenger/crew ratio. Besides the obvious, like service basics, these factors drive good and bad experiences. How often do you have to stand in line? How often do you feel crowded? When the ship anchors, do you have to wait for a tender? If the answer to these questions is "never" or "hardly ever", you may be on SS...

Frankly, I see no basis for comparison at all between SS and Oceania. SS is a luxury line and O is a deluxe line. I have always said that in order to get equivalent sq. footage on O you have to book a penthouse or above where the rates are similar to the luxury line. The one thing O does offer is smaller cabins at lower prices where you can get a very nice experience for less than you'd pay on the luxury lines as long as your expectations are in line with the product.

Wripro:

Very well put. Each line has its own ambiance and pluses and minuses.

I couldn't fault RSS or O. They both lived up to our expectations and supassed them in many ways. We look forward immensely to SS and are sure that we will really enjoy every minute of our experience.:):)

Always look on the sunny side of life!!!!!!!

I agree with wripro. You are comparing apples to oranges. Oceania is not all-inclusive, Regent's has a larger passenger capacity AND has special activities for children. SS does not (as of today) cater to families. Again, SS is lux, Oceania is not. Some people may consider Regent lux, but from what I have read on other boards, cannot compare to SS. And compare passenger/crew ratio. No brainer here.

Frankly, I see no basis for comparison at all between SS and Oceania. SS is a luxury line and O is a deluxe line.

I agree with wripro. I haven't travelled on Oceania but to me, this analysis is comparing apples with oranges. If there is a comparison to be made, wouldn't it be between the luxury lines that are all-inclusive?

The interesting comparison will be between the Silver Spirit and the Odyssey.

Cheers

ging466

this analysis is comparing apples with oranges.
That may well be true, but both are fruits. Many people travel on different levels of lines on different occasions. The record on this board seems to show that wripro travelled on both Oceania and Silversea! Perhaps someone can write an article on the relative health values and costs of apples and oranges, and grape fruits too, though not on a cruise board!

The people than I know that sail Oceania like the casual atmosphere and the food, and often, one of the two does not drink alcohol and the other does. Even on "2 for 1" they may not come out ahead since most of them are going penthouse. I know several that just won't make the leap to luxury for whatever reason. I guess they like their orange.

I will say that not all the other lines have waits for tenders, etc. since they have it down to a science. Same with embarkation and debarkation. I am more likely to agree with more luxury in these cases, better (WAY better) pool deck experience, better amenities, etc.

it is true that I have sailed SS many times and SB even more. I did sail Oceania once in a PH and enjoyed it a lot but as I said previously once you factor in tips and alcohol you are paying about the same. The fact remains I will always choose SB or SS over O because I like a small luxury, all inclusive, open seating ship. However, if the right itinerary and price presents itself on O I would happily sail with them again, knowing I will not get the same luxury experience. It is simply not in the same league. However, to make up for it I won't have to pack my tux.

However, if the right itinerary and price presents itself on O I would happily sail with them again, knowing I will not get the same luxury experience. .
That is why we compare apples with oranges from time to time to keep up with price trends between different market segments in the passage of time. If this were a "Healthy Food" (cruise) board, won't it be nice to have articles on the relative health values and costs of apples and oranges, and grape fruits too (luxury, premium and gentle mass market) ?

That is why we compare apples with oranges from time to time to keep up with price trends between different market segments in the passage of time. If this were a "Healthy Food" (cruise) board, won't it be nice to have articles on the relative health values and costs of apples and oranges, and grape fruits too (luxury, premium and gentle mass market) ?

I thought Oceana was closer to Azamara?

Btw, we thought the food and service was better on (most of, not all) our HAL (Holland America Line cruises) vs PAII. However, we prefer a smaller ship. Most of HAL ships are too big (I'd call them gentle mass market - good name) and PAII too small. We are trying Azamara next year (even though we weren't crazy about Celebrity) because of the itinerary and our cruise includes all pre-paid gratuities. Drinks aren't included but the price was 50% less than PAII. We have come to the conclusion that the food and service are only as good as the staff and Chef on each particular cruise.

SilverSeas was good and worth what we paid and we would cruise with them again, but not for some of the inflated prices that are now 60% off. I think their marketing department has really messed up with these high prices and than 50-60% off Sales...

Whether a comparison is appropriate or not depends on the readers concerned. In this Silversea column, there have been quite a few postings from those who are used to "suites" on gentle mass market lines wishing to try Silversea for a change, and asking for advice. So comparing Silversea to Oceania and also to Celebrity may be of interest to quite a few people.

On a public forum like this one, we have to write different postings to satisfy the needs of different readership. So some postings may interest some people while other postings interest other people. And of course, there are people who may prefer to have a wider scope of information. Often looking across market segments gives the readers new perspectives and possibilities to consider.

Wripro:

Always look on the sunny side of life!!!!!!!

I'm with you dwelsh!

I have enjoyed every cruise I have been on (except maybe one on Carnival Tropicale in the 70s when I was too young to know better ...) I have been on Oceania and I think it is a very good experience. Not Silversea, but I expected and anticipated what I got, so I was happy.

it is true that I have sailed SS many times and SB even more. I did sail Oceania once in a PH and enjoyed it a lot but as I said previously once you factor in tips and alcohol you are paying about the same. The fact remains I will always choose SB or SS over O because I like a small luxury, all inclusive, open seating ship. However, if the right itinerary and price presents itself on O I would happily sail with them again, knowing I will not get the same luxury experience. It is simply not in the same league. However, to make up for it I won't have to pack my tux.

I like your attitude Wripro!

We had a very satisfying 16 day cruise around Cape Horn last Christmas and New Years on Oceania Insignia. I did comparison shop and even with drinks and tips we came out quite a bit ahead. Admittedly it was an apple, not an orange :) but mixing things up allowed us - two "average" working people to take 3 cruises this calendar year (One Windstar, one Silversea and another Oceania again at the holidays) You pick them for different reasons - i.e. neither Silversea or Oceania has the great the watersports that Windsurf has! We usually do Windstar every year or two. I doubt they will EVER do Alaska though!

Not packing formalwear has appeal sometimes!

Chicagogal: Bon voyage. Perhaps you would like to write a report after your Silversea Alaska cruise next week, and perhaps you will also give your opinion on the value of Silversea versus Oceania, since you will have been on both recently!

Chicagogal: Bon voyage. Perhaps you would like to write a report after your Silversea Alaska cruise next week, and perhaps you will also give your opinion on the value of Silversea versus Oceania, since you will have been on both recently!

Will do! Thanks for the Bon Voyage, Meow!

I think a comparison is fine where warrented, and the number of people that ask for such comparisons is high. We all wonder what we will do if coherced into a family trip or with friends that won't pay for luxury or have not cruised and don't even know what it is about. There are so many reasons we all might need to step down on occasion.

I am surprised I enjoyed Royal Caribbean, though my husband would kill me if I stuck him on one of those big ships. He might go on O or Azamara, especially with family.

I think a comparison is fine where warrented, and the number of people that ask for such comparisons is high. .
That is true. As we have said, on a public forum like this, we should cater to different people with different interests, and with different postings satisfy the needs of as wide an audience as possible!

Archived