WiFi Question

Mayriver

Has anyone had a problem using a Mac ( and Safari browser) on Silversea ships? On my last trip I had a PC, with no problems, but sometimes browsers other than Explorer, can be problematic.

Two great questions. On Crystal last summer, we had some problems on Mac doing certain things wireless. Tried working with the tech staff, but they couldn't quite figure it out, especially on e-mail. Clearly it's best to compose off-line, then to sign on, paste in, etc. Look forward to hearing more details.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I was just on the Silversea Shadow and I used my MAC. All worked well. The only problem I had which had nothing to do with the MAC was from our suite. In order to get reception I had to open up the door a crack. This is because of the fireproof nature of the cabins. I am not sure if this will be the case of all rooms. Could have been the location of our room. I did have the computer guy come up to the room.

Also, I was very pleased with the speed. My perception is that not many people on the cruise were using a computer and that was probably the reason for the good connection times I had.

Terry, you know I cruise Crystal often. I have not had any problems with my MAC on Crystal either.

Keith

I was just on the Silversea Shadow and I used my MAC. All worked well. The only problem I had which had nothing to do with the MAC was from our suite. In order to get reception I had to open up the door a crack. This is because of the fireproof nature of the cabins. I am not sure if this will be the case of all rooms. Could have been the location of our room. I did have the computer guy come up to the room. Also, I was very pleased with the speed. My perception is that not many people on the cruise were using a computer and that was probably the reason for the good connection times I had. Terry, you know I cruise Crystal often. I have not had any problems with my MAC on Crystal either. Keith

THANKS to Keith and CASHIPman for the added and helpful info! Interesting "technology fix" of needing to leave the door open. Have that around our home at times when on the screened porch needing to leave a door open.

Is my memory/re-call correct that when sailing north of the Arctic Circle that Internet connections become a problem for most ships and their passengers?

Haven't checked the Internet pricing plans/packages on Crystal vs. Silversea vs. Seabourn, etc. Assume they are in the roughly same cost ranges.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, yes, there are a few places around the world where internet via satellite is a problem. And when you travel to the North Cape that is correct.

Packages and pricing can vary a bit. SS had some good packages to select. I went with the largest one as the break even made sense for me versus the next lower one. I liked the fact that you could still use it the morning of disembarkation. You couldn't add a new plan because they close down the shipboard accounts for those disembarking the ship but if you had minutes left you could use it.

Keith

Terry, yes, there are a few places around the world where internet via satellite is a problem. And when you travel to the North Cape that is correct. Keith

THANKS, Keith, for confirming that North Cape problem. Hopefully some others can provide better and/or more details whether it is just at that North Cape point or more between there and crossing the Arctic Circle. Or, it could be that if your cruise goes farther north to Longyearbyen Islands that is where it has the biggest challenges.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived