Arcade games inappropriate for kids - advocacy required!

I was on the Enchantment for 5 days on the 8/22 sailing. On the cruise there's an arcade that's situated within the Fuel kids area and right across from Adventure Ocean where kids of all ages are. The arcade had a variety of games. Two of them consisted of point and shoot gun games where you're literally "killing" dozens to hundreds of people. The volume on these machines is cranked way up.

These games have absolutely no place in a kid oriented arcade on a floor and space that's geared towards kids. My son shouldn't have to hear and see these kinds of games on a ship that caters to kids. You have to pass through the arcade to get to the AO facilities. Could I ban my child from the space? Yes, but that's not the point, this is a family oriented cruise ship with an arcade that's focused on kids not adults.

I called Corp Guest Relations and was told RCL tries to "satisfy all types of people". I told the rep that there are literally dozens of video games that could have been selected. I can't imagine these games are consistent with the environment CEO Goldstein envisions. I doubt he even knows and turns the other way on because they make money. I'm all for gun rights by responsible individuals, but these games have no place in family oriented cruise ship in a kid oriented location.

Can I enlist you to help me advocate for the removal of these games from the arcade by emailing royalguestrelations@rccl.com with your comments?

Thanks

I have mixed feelings about this issue. I certainly understand and appreciate what you are saying, but the ship also has to try to appeal to high school aged teens and such games are likely appealing to them. Perhaps they could find a way to put games geared towards older children in a separate area, but that might just not be feasible with the space they have available. Definitely an interesting issue you raise; it will be interesting reading people's perspectives on this.

Perhaps you should consider advocating parental education of minors along with your letter writing campaign. Just because kids play a make-believe game of "shoot 'em up bang-bang" doesn't mean the fantasy notion of the game need cross over into reality.

This is where the parents need to step in and educate the differences in a video arcade game and how you treat people in real life. Far too little emphasis is placed on teaching empathy in our society today.

For some reason parents want to ban violent games but then turn a blind eye to the fact that the shaping of young minds begins in the H-O-M-E

Parents end up more passionate about preventing societies impact on their child than taking responsibility, and being passionate, for what they teach, what they model, and how they mold their child, in the home.

:confused:

I am with the others here, at most maybe they can put the more 'mature' games in one section but don't know if that is feasible. Besides, it is so loud in there all the sounds from the games blend so how can you hear just that one?

RCI caters to the entire family, not just the little ones who are too young for these types of games. If you were to put in only the 'kiddie' games RCI would loose all the teens. If you didn't have the arcade to keep them busy, imagine where else they may end up :eek: .

Yes, I do have teenagers, but have tought them what is right and wrong and what is a game and what is reality. Overall I think they are good kids, perfect no, but they do know how to handle themselves when with others.

Nope, I agree with Guest Relation's response.

###

X2

Video games have been violent since Pac Man ate the first ghost.

Corporate policy is no substitute for active and involved parenting.

My kids spend their time at the pool and kids club when cruising. They only walk through the arcade on the way to kids club and they know video games are not reality.

Perhaps you should consider advocating parental education of minors along with your letter writing campaign. Just because kids play a make-believe game of "shoot 'em up bang-bang" doesn't mean the fantasy notion of the game need cross over into reality.

This is where the parents need to step in and educate the differences in a video arcade game and how you treat people in real life. Far too little emphasis is placed on teaching empathy in our society today.

For some reason parents want to ban violent games but then turn a blind eye to the fact that the shaping of young minds begins in the H-O-M-E

Parents end up more passionate about preventing societies impact on their child than taking responsibility, and being passionate, for what they teach, what they model, and how they mold their child, in the home.

:confused:

In a larger context I agree, but for future readers of this thread I'm not advocating for the ban of these games. Only suggesting that RCL should avoid the selection of these games when there are plenty of other games appropriate for all ages to play or watch.

Perhaps RCCL shold also ban bikini's and thongs, and speedos. Some of those swimsuits give you a real education. It is the responsibility of the parents to educate their children as to what is acceptable, and, with that education should be a degree of trust that your children will do the right thing. (For the most part).

Hypo

perhaps rccl shold also ban bikini's and thongs, and speedos. Some of those swimsuits give you a real education. It is the responsibility of the parents to educate their children as to what is acceptable, and, with that education should be a degree of trust that your children will do the right thing. (for the most part).

Hypo

lol! :d

In a larger context I agree, but for future readers of this thread I'm not advocating for the ban of these games. Only suggesting that RCL should avoid the selection of these games when there are plenty of other games appropriate for all ages to play or watch.

But you are advocating the banning of these games from RCL cruise ships???

Perhaps RCCL shold also ban bikini's and thongs, and speedos. Some of those swimsuits give you a real education. It is the responsibility of the parents to educate their children as to what is acceptable, and, with that education should be a degree of trust that your children will do the right thing. (For the most part).

Hypo

How about you can only play the gun games if you are old

enough for, and wearing, a bikini or thong. Speedos should

be banned either way.

To the OP

Sorry-but as a parent of older teens that would be a huge mistake on RCCL part. The answer you got from guest relations was spot on.

Expecially since RCCL has a huge blank gap for 18-20 year olds. Too young to drink but yet too old for any sort of 'teen program'. I'm failrly sure those games are geared towards that age group and come on-I've seen you adults out in the arcade too!!!:p

Besides-my older teens said last cruise that the games were 'lame' so I'm sure the ones on AOS were not all that 'violent'.

But you are advocating the banning of these games from RCL cruise ships???

Correct. The reply to my post that I was responded to suggested the ban of these games in the larger context of "all shooting games".

I'm finding very interesting that people feel so strongly about keeping these games especially when there are games that are not "killing" games that are equally as fun for all age groups.

I understand what you are saying; however, the truth of the matter is violence has become a staple in every day life (unfortunately) - whether it be songs, arcade games, Internet, or the news.

I am sure you have taught your children that it is wrong to kill people in the real world, just as I am sure you will teach them that they shouldn't drive 100 mph as in some driving games.

I'm finding very interesting that people feel so strongly about keeping these games especially when there are games that are not "killing" games that are equally as fun for all age groups.

This is from your perspective. Try talking to a teenage boy or young adult and you will get a completely different perspective. The games you are referring to would be considered 'lame' or 'boring' to most of them pushing them out of the arcade. It is already near impossible for an 18 - 20 year old to find some place to hang out on the ships.

I would definitely support an e-mail campaign to Royal Caribbean to advocate for this!!!

I second that! Who's with me? Let's start an email/letter/call campaign and have them ban speedo's!!!

In your opinion.

I'm not into the first-person shooters myself, so don't play them. They were always in the arcade, I just choose to blow away aliens using other means. Am I a better person because I didn't play a shooting game that killed fake humans? I don't think so. The fake aliens are just as dead as had there been a fake gun vs torpedo button. Pacman vs the ghost is right on.

I like pinball and econ sims - I like to dominate the world thru superior business strategy when I can't maneuver a ball for points and sound effects. Good chance I won't find either of those (someone will tell me when they find Railroad Tycoon on a ship, right?).

If you object to your children being exposed to shooting games then I suggest not exposing your children to shooting games. But even at the tamest county fair, you will find shooting games.

Consider it a teaching moment. You: "I don't like games that have you pretend to kill people." Them: "why?" You: ...

Speedos should

be banned either way.

Count me in, where do I send my email??

All I know is that when the zombies attack I want a bunch of 18 year olds with their valuable video game zombie killing experience between me and them! :D:D:D

Tahqa gets my vote for Post of the Day! :D

I understand where the OP is coming from, but I think as the others have mentioned it is up to the parents to teach their children the difference between reality and games. Plus, if the parents are monitoring the children, a few hours of the most horrendous games will not scar them for life.

I think your intentions are well meant, but this is just too politically correct/pollyannaish for the average cruiser. It would be akin to a vegetarian being surprised Royal serves meat when there are so many vegetarian foods that everybody would find tasty.

Good chance I won't find either of those (someone will tell me when they find Railroad Tycoon on a ship, right?).

I hope not...I'd like to see my husband at some point in the vacation.

The only thing worse would be Railroad Tycoon and Capitalism II.

Archived