Travel Agent or go direct through cruise line ?

nfjchester

Use a travel agent when they offer a perk beyond what is being offered by the cruise line such as onboard credit. Otherwise, there is no benefit to using a travel agent and you loose control of your reservation as if the price changes, you must get your travel agent to redo the reservation with the lower price and your travel agent might be on vacation or not able to do it when needed.

95% of the time, I make my own reservation and almost always through the cruise line. 5% of the time I use a travel agency for the extra perks.

I've booked over 20+ RCI cruises directly ... have never used a TA...the perks some offer isn't important to us ... I much prefer to keep control without a 3rd party involved...Just my choice.

Until three or four cruises ago I always booked direct. I had failed to find a travel agent that made it worth it to book with them. Then I found my current agent who gives me about 10% OBC and is very responsive. If I have a request, she generally gets back to me within 20 minutes telling me she's taken care of it.

• 6 months later...

I always book with my travel agent. However, I have found recently that it's great to book while on board the ship.

For example on our recent QM2 cruise I booked the cruise for next year while on board. I only had to pay $150 pp up front much less than the travel agent required. I also got a tremendous on board credit deal.

I then switched the booking over to my travel agent who got me a terrific discount on the cruise.

So, it's a good idea to see what the cruise line is offering while you're on board. Book it anyway if you like the deal, you can always change it later.

Jonathan