Security of internet

raye70

I wouldn't use any public network for financial transactions. There's enough risk even on secure networks - we had our Charles Schwab account hacked into once and had only used our secure home network. No one could ever figure out how the 'hacker' got our account information and password. Only the fact that we immediately caught & reacted to an email from Schwab telling us our password, address, & phone number had been changed saved us from a real disaster.

Since it's so easy to set up bill pay in advance of your trip, why would you risk an unsecured network? We set up payments for the correct due date. If the bill is a set amount each month, it's easy. If the amount varies, we estimate as close as possible, then add 10-20% to cover any unexpected additions. If we've overpaid a little it comes off the next month's bill.

Ditto for both posts above.

Using my own iPad and have had no problems.

Would never use unsecured connections for such transactions - like the ones at airports or in cruise terminals but I don't have the same concerns with ship's internet.

If one is away for 2 weeks then this should not be an issue; however, when you travel for 3 or 6 months (like the WC) then one is more likely to have to make such bank transactions.

My partner, who does all our online financial transactions, pays for a "virtual private network" service which overlays an extra layer of security when using any shared network

Yes, you can use a shared public network and limit any security issues.

The following article gives great advise on how to manage public networks when you require to use them with sensitive information:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0014-tips-using-public-wi-fi-networks

We have used "hotel" networks more than once for doing some "last" minute financial transactions.

Hope this helps.

I spent years working from home behind a massive virtual security wall. VPN, Ethernet and a multilevel firewall was required. When traveling on business Wifi use was forbidden but we could work in the hotel room via Ethernet lines and VPN.

We totally avoid Wifi for financial or confidential matters, totally unsecured. We've used ship and hotel Ethernet connections as needed, things happen while on long trips. We feel reasonably secure.