Escape the Rubicon on Harmony

dwayneb236

I highly recommend this activity. When it was first offered and showed up at no cost I thought we would for sure do it. Then later when a charge was added I admit I got a bit perturbed and said there is no way I would pay extra. Told my wife about it and she seemed interested so I went ahead and purchased our slots. At our allotted time, there were my wife and I and about 7 strangers. I'm not the most social guy so I kinda didn't say much. But once we got into the room it's an immediate team game. It was a blast. And it takes some very deep thinking at times, also a bit of luck I've found. Probably one of the most interesting things I've ever done on an ship and would love to do it again, with a different set up of course. More ships should have this. Absolute blast.

By the way, you get an hour to solve it. We used 59 minutes and 54.8 seconds of that time before we solved it. Yep, 5.2 seconds left.

After doing it and the amount of fun we had, I have no issues with paying. I know that's not what people who cruise all the time want to hear as they are used to getting everything for free in the past, but it was just that much fun. And we had a very smart group.

We did it on Ovation (same room as Anthem) and also on Harmony (different room than Anthem). Solved it on Anthem but we are forever floating in space from our attempt on Harmony. $8.99 seems a little high for what was once a free activity. If they had made it like 4 or 5 bucks I would have no issues. Or include a BOGO coupon in the Gold/Platinum/etc.coupons.

I did the escape room on the Anthem and I did the one on the Harmony. I absolutely loved both experiences.

I am no fan of changing previously complimentary activities to for-fee activities.

But I thought that I would point out that these are very popular on land. (They weren't invented for the cruise ship world). On land, they cost $28.

A lot of people see RCI trying to nickle and dime them with extra charges.

I see it from a different perspective.. There are a lot of people on these ships and not nearly enough slots available on a 7 day cruise.

Experience has shown RCI that when things are free and only require a sign up there will be a lot of people not show up because they decided to do something else. Look at all the show times that are fully booked but has a lot of empty seats 15 minutes before show time.

Imagine what that "no show" would do to the experience of people wanting to do the escape. So think of the small entry fee as a way to have only serious people sign up and be a little more committed because they have skin in the game.

I did the escape room on the Anthem and I did the one on the Harmony. I absolutely loved both experiences.

I am no fan of changing previously complimentary activities to for-fee activities.

But I thought that I would point out that these are very popular on land. (They weren't invented for the cruise ship world). On land, they cost $28.

We just did a puzzle room on land for $13 pp and it was quite good. We did use a Groupon BOGO though! :D

There are other things that are free on ships that we pay for on land. Shows for example. I hope they don't start charging for those! :rolleyes:

Like I said, I don't mind introducing a charge to avoid no-shows but $9 bucks seems a little bit high for something that was free not so long ago.

We are excited to try the Rubicon on Harmony too! While I'd prefer it being free, I do not have a problem paying the nominal fee...a s we typically pay $15-25... even more sometimes for escape rooms on land.

They are super fun! While I have always been apprehensive about playing with strangers, the lady who owns the local escape room in my hometown says strangers meeting up and playing together have the most fun from what she sees.

Anyways... we are excited!

We did the Harmony crossing and did the Rubicon on that cruise. Back then it was free. $8.99 pp is not going to break anyone and it pretty much does guarantee that anyone signing up will show up.

That being said, I thought I read another thread somewhere on the board here a few days ago about some attraction on the Anthem (never been on it so not sure what the attraction was) where Royal was charging a cancellation fee. The attraction was free but if you signed up and didn't show up, Royal would charge you some specified fee. If that's true, wonder why Royal isn't doing the same thing for the Rubicon.

Tim

What is this game exactly? Have never heard of it before. Thanks!

From the RC website:

There are some puzzles you solve and there are some puzzles you ESCAPE! In the new & exclusive Puzzle Break: Escape The Rubicon, you will be transported to another world and another time. Collaborate with friends, old and new, as you attempt to find the hidden clues needed to solve a collection of puzzles that will eventually unravel the mystery of the Rubicon! With only 60 minutes of life-support, the suspense builds with every tick of the clock. The final seconds will decide your fate. Question: will you escape?…and if not, what then?

More here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2678

DH and I did this on Harmony in December. We did not know anyone else in our group, and had a great time. The room itself is really well done. As others have said, you really do need to work as a group in order to be successful. We've been on a lot of cruises, so it was really nice to experience a brand new activity, even if it had a nominal fee attached.

Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone here on CC has solved the puzzle? Does *everyone* escape?

We also did it on the crossing....we had a blast. It was free then and everyone showed up. There were 5 people waiting in case someone didn't show up.

They will ask you in the beginning if you want clues or no clues. We did no clues and got out with 6 mins left.

Fantastic use of the space and worth the price of a drink if you've never done one before.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk