New cruise terminal

Just announced Newcastle to get new twelve million dollar cruise terminal who hoo soon be able to board without going all the way to Sydney

might be good for the people on the Central Coast but not good for people South of Sydney unless they come up with a very fast train too

Is there any word on the location? I would like to see public transport access taken into consideration, otherwise we end up with another white bay. Impossible to get to without driving/taxi.

I see two options:

1. If the terminal is on the city side of the harbour have a new light rail stop nearby.

2. If the terminal is on the other side incorporate a ferry station into the terminal and have the stockton ferry make an additional stop on cruise days ie. Newcastle > Stockton> Cruise Terminal > Newcastle etc.

Talk about future-proofing for Newcastle, 'it will be able to take cruise ships up to 3000 (sic) metres long'! Hate to be trying to steer that puppy in between the heads!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I believe it will be at the current Carrington site. A new building, enhanced parking area and facility for provisions. The premier made the announcement at Carrington. Starting construction mid 2017 finishing 2018. Sorry if the attachment is small - using iPad, don't know how to enlarge.

image.jpg.6019fb93064aedeb87477d4fb2919d4a.jpg

Just announced Newcastle to get new twelve million dollar cruise terminal who hoo soon be able to board without going all the way to Sydney

Doesn't mean that cruises will depart from Newcastle. They tried that a few years back with Pacific Sun and didn't work too well. More likely just means Newcastle will have a nicer berth for cruises that stopover in the city.

Is there any word on the location? I would like to see public transport access taken into consideration, otherwise we end up with another white bay. Impossible to get to without driving/taxi.

I see two options:

1. If the terminal is on the city side of the harbour have a new light rail stop nearby.

2. If the terminal is on the other side incorporate a ferry station into the terminal and have the stockton ferry make an additional stop on cruise days ie. Newcastle > Stockton> Cruise Terminal > Newcastle etc.

All the photos are showing it at Wickham, near the new rail, tram interchange and the best spot, but turning may be an issue.

I'm tipping Dyke Point. There is then an issue of transport between the Ferry terminal and the rail, light or heavy.

""The $12.7 million multi-purpose terminal will be able to accommodate cruise ships up to 3000 metres long and will be similar in scale to Sydney's White Bay Terminal."

It is not going to be much of a terminal. White Bay cost $62 Million, see: http://www.tsamanagement.com.au/projects/port-infrastructure-and-resources/white-bay-cruise-5-passenger-terminal/

Most likely similar to what was at Barangaroo.

A better news article is at http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4191140/dedicated-cruise-terminal-for-newcastle/?cs=303. It refers the 3000 meters as: "purpose built terminal of about 3000 square metres". Not the length of the ships able to use it.

I read that the city is hoping the new terminal will be used for embarking cruises in the future.

There are already regular flights from Brisbane, Melbourne and Gold Coast and a regular public bus service from the airport to Newcastle or Port Stephens for those who do not want to use taxis. On cruise days when we have been in Newcastle, the city ran free shuttle buses to and from the city (only minutes away). Maybe they could be utilised as well for embarking days.

The city will need some really good marketing and cruises with appealing destinations for this idea to be successful, imo.

The sailaway is impressive especially with the cannon salute at Fort Scratchley.

But still not as impressive as Sydney, of course.

Talk about future-proofing for Newcastle, 'it will be able to take cruise ships up to 3000 (sic) metres long'! Hate to be trying to steer that puppy in between the heads!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cool. I am sure the harbour pilot would be earning their keep.

I read that the city is hoping the new terminal will be used for embarking cruises in the future.

There are already regular flights from Brisbane, Melbourne and Gold Coast and a regular public bus service from the airport to Newcastle or Port Stephens for those who do not want to use taxis. On cruise days when we have been in Newcastle, the city ran free shuttle buses to and from the city (only minutes away). Maybe they could be utilised as well for embarking days.

The city will need some really good marketing and cruises with appealing destinations for this idea to be successful, imo.

The sailaway is impressive especially with the cannon salute at Fort Scratchley.

But still not as impressive as Sydney, of course.

That would be good to have an additional cruise port that can handle embarkations as well.:D

Sadly, even though Newy is closer to us in km's, it is easier for us to fly to Sydney for a cruise.

If we drove to Newcastle (about 2.5 hours), we would have to park the car, probably the airport, not cheap......then get a taxi to the cruise terminal, so a costly exercise.

We use our FF points plus tax, so about $40 each way for our flights from Port Macquarie to Sydney.

I am very surprised that the government did this and can only hope it means more money for the city as in infrastructure to deal with it in the event that it becomes an overflow embarkation port for Sydney.

It can only be close to the old BHP site where the ships presently dock. Listening the the news and knowing Newcastle well it is impossible for large ships to go any further than that point meaning the city side will not be the location for the terminal.

Sadly, even though Newy is closer to us in km's, it is easier for us to fly to Sydney for a cruise.

If we drove to Newcastle (about 2.5 hours), we would have to park the car, probably the airport, not cheap......then get a taxi to the cruise terminal, so a costly exercise.

We use our FF points plus tax, so about $40 each way for our flights from Port Macquarie to Sydney.

It is getting a dedicated car park as well. Personally I cannot fathom how it would be easier for you to fly to Sydney from where you are for a cruise ever. If I lived where you were I would be driving to Sydney even.