New cruise terminal

Watch the video it shows how and where the ships will dock, the wharf upgrade and also the building and car parks.

White Bay has car parking, but you can't leave your car there while on a cruise, so I wonder what the go will be here.

Also I note it mentions a baggage hall, so they must be at least hoping for embarkations and disembarkation here.

The hall will also need to have a use in the "off season" functions, exhibitions etc, if it's not going to be a waste of money and I have serious doubts that Dyke Point will attract that type of thing.

White Bay has car parking, but you can't leave your car there while on a cruise, so I wonder what the go will be here.

Also I note it mentions a baggage hall, so they must be at least hoping for embarkations and disembarkation here.

The hall will also need to have a use in the "off season" functions, exhibitions etc, if it's not going to be a waste of money and I have serious doubts that Dyke Point will attract that type of thing.

I doubt that it would have long stay parking. Looks as if they plan on having conference facilities to cater for the off season.

It is getting a dedicated car park as well. Personally I cannot fathom how it would be easier for you to fly to Sydney from where you are for a cruise ever. If I lived where you were I would be driving to Sydney even.

It a 4 1/2 hour drive, I have landcruiser so not the cheapest car for fuel, and our cruises are usually 14 days plus, so adding parking costs in, it's cheaper for us to fly and less stressful;)

I doubt that it would have long stay parking. Looks as if they plan on having conference facilities to cater for the off season.

That's what I'm trying to get at.

I doubt it will have long term car park, but then there's no public transport.

Guess the taxi drivers will be happy.

Same problem with conference facilities too far away from anything.

No hotels anywhere near it either.

All assuming it's Dyke Point, and it looks like it on the video though some of the other shots it's at Wickham.

That's what I'm trying to get at.

I doubt it will have long term car park, but then there's no public transport.

Guess the taxi drivers will be happy.

Same problem with conference facilities too far away from anything.

No hotels anywhere near it either.

All assuming it's Dyke Point, and it looks like it on the video though some of the other shots it's at Wickham.

Gut, we did cruise from Newcastle a few years ago on the old Pacific Sun, there was a group of us from all over. We had driven down, I did multiple pick ups from the train station........then had to drive the car to the airport for parking, get driven back......I hope they work out the transport and some parking!

Gut, we did cruise from Newcastle a few years ago on the old Pacific Sun, there was a group of us from all over. We had driven down, I did multiple pick ups from the train station........then had to drive the car to the airport for parking, get driven back......I hope they work out the transport and some parking!

And parking prices at the airport now are crazy.

Maybe I could let people park here and pay me.

Better yet mum and dad have more space, it often looks like a car park, when we're all there, might help their retirement a little.

Maybe I could let people park here and pay me.

Better yet mum and dad have more space, it often looks like a car park, when we're all there, might help their retirement a little.

Great idea!!

Just what our place will look like this long weekend:p

I think it's great for the city. Having worked at the old tent when it was there I look forward to embarking/disembarking in my home town..

Carrington has grown heaps as has the Wharf area with lovely restaurants and cafes etc it is only a 10 minute bus/taxi ride to get there.

If the facility is to be used for functions as suggested in prior posts that may be interesting as it is a working port unlike the OPT and I a not sure how that would work but sure it's something that can be worked out..

Now the Tourist information centres around Newcastle/Hunter Valley and surrounding areas need to provide shore tours that will sell the city as a destination..

I think it's great for the city. Having worked at the old tent when it was there I look forward to embarking/disembarking in my home town..

Carrington has grown heaps as has the Wharf area with lovely restaurants and cafes etc it is only a 10 minute bus/taxi ride to get there.

If the facility is to be used for functions as suggested in prior posts that may be interesting as it is a working port unlike the OPT and I a not sure how that would work but sure it's something that can be worked out..

Now the Tourist information centres around Newcastle/Hunter Valley and surrounding areas need to provide shore tours that will sell the city as a destination..

Lisa, I forgot you worked there, you drove Andy back from the airport, and picked up others:p Think Geoff was working that day too.......might get your old job back!!

I'm cautiously excited about it.

Lisa, I forgot you worked there, you drove Andy back from the airport, and picked up others:p Think Geoff was working that day too.......might get your old job back!!

I sure did Chez. I will put my hand up as i will be retired from where i am now :D. Might even join the volunteers team and hand out maps etc.. Anything to promote this beautiful home city.. :D

Gut 2407

It might have a few teething problems but at least we need to give it a go of being a success :)

Parking is still cheaper than the ridiculous airfares into Newcastle. That was the worst thing about being posted to Williamtown, was cheaper to hire a car one way and drive to Sydney than fly :( (most times quicker too)

Parking is still cheaper than the ridiculous airfares into Newcastle. That was the worst thing about being posted to Williamtown, was cheaper to hire a car one way and drive to Sydney than fly :( (most times quicker too)

I know, they only have one little airline, think it is Pelican??

I can recommend the new Mercure at Newcastle airport, stayed there a couple of times, it only opened last year, beautiful modern rooms and a great restaurant. Good for early flight to Melbourne:)

I've asked P&O (whose president was at the announcement) to confirm the location. He and Baird also mention it will be used for ships to visit Newcastle (no mention of turnarounds), but that has to change. It doesn't have a baggage hall for nothing.

Here's the story: http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=7254

Don't forget we write news too - had it on the site since 10am yesterday :)

I can recommend the new Mercure at Newcastle airport, stayed there a couple of times, it only opened last year, beautiful modern rooms and a great restaurant. Good for early flight to Melbourne:)

Rex Airlines (Regional Express) also flies the NCL SYD route. Baggage can be an issue with the smaller FlyPelican planes, fares from $59.

But everyone else flies into Newcastle too, QANTAS, Jetstar, Virgin.

I've asked P&O (whose president was at the announcement) to confirm the location. He and Baird also mention it will be used for ships to visit Newcastle (no mention of turnarounds), but that has to change. It doesn't have a baggage hall for nothing.

Here's the story: http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=7254

Don't forget we write news too - had it on the site since 10am yesterday :)

Thanks Louise:D