Alaska - on board

marazul

Carolyn ,

Thanks for your kind words. It was really a matter of perfect timing.

As to which tours sold out -- I know for sure the first couple of kayak trips sold out -- all may have by the time of the outing. Can't say for sure about the zodiac trips but I think the Klemtu one did not sell out but that was because many thought it might interfere with the special Klemtu Seabourn Experience. It did not-- they took into account who had booked what when and scheduled you for either a morning or afternoon time slot accordingly.

As to other tours that sold out I know the Misty Fjord float plane sold out well in advance as did the Anan Creek bear viewing from Wrangell. Not sure that I heard about others selling out well in advance. I think the Girzzly bear tour also sold out in advance.

Barb,

Again since I did not actually book tours in advance and then get on board cancel and rebook once on board I can't promise how it would work. But definitely don't cancel anything that is sold out now. The staff in Seabourn Square are quite competent and helpful and I am sure will help you sort it all out. We also had a huge OBC but with the help of the wonderful Sommelier we managed to drink our way through it.

Maggie,

Obviously your experience here may depend on how many ships are also debarking the same morning . In our case a Celebrity ship arrived 15 minutes before we did so not too crazy. As we were staying in Vancouver a few days I did not see the need to book a car. We relaxed on board until about 9:15 then came down found our luggage, walked to the taxi stand and caught a cab and by 9:30 we were at our hotel located nearby and in our hotel room. Frankly if we had not had luggage we would have just walked. I will say that I heard complaints from those who got off the ship earlier said there was a problem with having to wait for luggage. What I can't say it whether the problem was with Seabourn or the port luggage handlers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin - curious when they did the muster drill? Assuming everyone has to be checked in on the ship by 6:30 or 7:00 at the very latest, and sailaway is at 8:00 pm, and all of this falls around dinner time ... seems like something's gotta give! LOL

For those in the US, Wild Alaska Live is being shown on PBS in conjunction with the BBC ... Episode 1 was on last night and can be watched on YouTube, Episode 2 will be on this Wednesday, 7/20 and Episode 3 will be on this coming Sunday, 7/30 (check your local listings for times). As others have said, it is awesome!!!

We picked our sailing date (August 1st) based on one of the prime salmon runs and if what I just watched is any indication of this year, wildlife viewing the first two weeks of August should be STELLAR!!! SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!

THANK YOU! TIVO'd up!

For those in the US, Wild Alaska Live is being shown on PBS in conjunction with the BBC ... Episode 1 was on last night and can be watched on YouTube, Episode 2 will be on this Wednesday, 7/20 and Episode 3 will be on this coming Sunday, 7/30 (check your local listings for times). As others have said, it is awesome!!!

We picked our sailing date (August 1st) based on one of the prime salmon runs and if what I just watched is any indication of this year, wildlife viewing the first two weeks of August should be STELLAR!!! SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!

Chairsin,

We were on the cruise with you. We were the ones in the deck six, forward hot tub as we sailed up to the Sawer glacier! It was so warm I had to sit on the edge of the tub most of the time. What a magical way to take in the glacier and scenery, in the hot tub with a bottle of bubbly. By the way, the main pool was heated to 92F, and the tubs were 104F. Very nice in the pool.

I would just like to say that I concur with all your opinions and observations. This was our fourth cruise on Sojourn and we agree with Roxburgh in saying that this cruise was outstanding in every way. I Just filled out the Seabourn survey and had a difficult time because I wanted to mention all the outstanding staff and was afraid to omit anyone.

Roberto at the Colonade was "our man" every morning at breakfast. My wife wanted to take Scottish pizza guy Joseph home with us. (not sure if he accepted or not because I needed subtitles to understand him). Deon, Brenda, Vanessan, Damien (the one and only) Yeva, George and Reuben in The Club kept us well lubricated. Stephan and his crew at station four in The Restaurant were the best! Giani and Gabor in the square kept us caffeinated in the mornings.

All aspects were as good as we have ever experienced. The Anan Bear viewing was unbelievable, and we are Alaskans.

I was about to say I was sorry we had not met and then I remembered that I did meet your lovely wife (long dark hair?) one day by the Patio Bar. I was the woman with the long blond hair and we talked about how you lived in Anchorage and still wanted to go on a Seabourn cruise. And yes, it was a great cruise in just about every way. We will likely do it again with other friends in two years. I could not agree more about your list of wonderful crew members. And I would add Milos, Janine, Daniel and Mor in the Colonnade. The lovely helpful hostess Elena who was always smiling even when we kept changing plans. And speaking of helpful Heather, Adrienne, and Wayne in the Square Guest Services nerve center. As to the bar team I would add Erry and Artem at the Patio Bar where we spent too much time -- they had the champagne poured before we even sat down. We dined in the wonderful Roberto's section every night we were in the restaurant where he was assisted by the ever smiling Maria. And then there is great unsung hero Franco with whom we have cruised a half dozen times who always remembers our names as to scans us in and out of the ship and says welcome back "Miss ------." I'm sure I also have left out many names.

Speaking of friends - it looks like we will be cruising with your friend Roxburgh on the Sojourn next February as we go from Cape Town to Singapore. Six degrees of Seabourn separation.

Zelker,

Thank you for pointing out the wonderful Wild Alaska program on PBS. We missed the first one but did get to see the second and the final one last night. It was so much fun to relive our recent experiences and watch animal encounters we did not see. My only caution to those who watch these types of beautifully filmed wildlife shows is that for some people it sets up an unrealistic expectation for when they visit. People need to understand that with wild animal viewing so much of it is a simple matter of chance. I can't tell you how many people I overheard say a tour was " no good" because they did not see whales (or bears or whatever). The key to seeing a lot of animals is to do a lot of research beforehand as to the best areas for wildlife and best time ( of day or the year) and to go on multiple tours. And my preference, with the exception of Seabourn Ventures zodiac and kayak tours, is to only take private tours so you have more flexibility and control over where you go and what you see. But even when some of the most desired animals are not seen on a tour there can be other wonderful equally rewarding unexpected surprises. Anyway, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this Seabourn itinerary and I am looking forward to you continuing this thread as you board today. Have a great cruise.

I leave on the Aug. 26th cruise and have been watching Alaska weather. Those of you that start your cruise tomorrow are very lucky ! You look like you will hit the warm weather for the next week. :cool: Hope it holds up through August. Enjoy, Heather

We have been here for a week on a pre-cruise trip. Amazingly beautiful sunny weather (low 70s F) five days, no rain. Looking forward to more later this week after a couple of rainy days at the start. ☀️

I leave

on the Aug. 26th cruise and have been watching Alaska weather. Those of you that start your cruise tomorrow are very lucky ! You look like you will hit the warm weather for the next week. :cool: Hope it holds up through August. Enjoy, Heather

Wouldn't that just be so special to see? Hope Barb or one of the others gets back to us with a report on their trip to date. Though I must say the internet was more spotty on this cruise than when we were in Antarctica.

On the Seabourn Sailors Facebook page, Mrs. Baines (!) has been posting a nice travelogue of her current cruise. They are on the 25 day RT Vancouver. They recently had some dense fog out of Seward, but have had nice weather otherwise I think. Her pictures have been nice, too. It's been so great to have all this feedback for scheduling excursions etc. I've been hoping we see the aurora borealis! An item on my bucket list.

Or take the train at 6:45 AM -- terrific scenery and much more comfortable than a bus. We were in the Dome car drinking champagne and enjoyed a lovely breakfast en route. Arrived at a little after 11 and our luggage was sent directly to the ship.cb88c65328083639d8111efae195b794.jpg

Or take the train at 6:45 AM -- terrific scenery and much more comfortable than a bus. We were in the Dome car drinking champagne and enjoyed a lovely breakfast en route. Arrived at a little after 11 and our luggage was sent directly to the ship.cb88c65328083639d8111efae195b794.jpg

Wow Chairsin. Thanks for sharing that photo. It's spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Zelker,

We celebrated on return with a glass of champagne at the Patio Bar and very special Italian themed dinner a friend had organized in the restaurant. It was one of the best meals I have ever had -- on Seabourn or in any land based restaurant.

Chairsin, Grateful if you can kindly elaborate as to what was served at the Italian themed dinner that made it so special.

Edited by CruiseAficionado
add name

Does anyone recall that has been on the 14 day itineraries whether there are many cashpoints in prince rupert? It's our first Canadian stop and we are debating whether to just get cash there. I know it's a fairly decent sized town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums