Alaska - on board

marazul

Continuing with our Alaska experience.

On the 5th our leisurely drive from a Girdwood to Anchorage on a glorious sunny day was punctuated by a few short walks including the elevated boardwalk over the marshlands at Potters Marsh where we spotted a bald eagle complete with nest and chicks. A very late lunch at the Mooses Tooth and then check in at our downtown hotel. Taking advantage of the beautiful early evening weather we joined half the population of Anchorage for a stroll along the water on the Tony Knowles Coastal trail.

Next morning we loaded our friends who had arrived the night before and headed north out of Anchorage about an hour's drive to the Knik River lodge. Five of us donned our cold weather gear and loaded into a helicopter for a short ride to a nearby glacier where there was a Dogsled camp. By the time we arrived low clouds had settled in and you could barely see 30 feet in front of you. But the "puppies" were anxious to run and once hooked up to the sleds off we went for a unique adventure. That night back in Anchorage we all celebrated our brief moment impersonating Iditarod racers with a fun dinner at the Crush Wine Bar and Bistro.

Next morning at 0 dark thirty the van I had arranged picked us all up at hotel for the short drive to the train station. Contrary to what we had been told by both Seabourn and the Alaska railroad even though we had booked the train independently of Seabourn they DID have a separate area for Seabourn luggage and said it would be delivered directly to the ship. What a relief but it would have been ice had they told us that in advance.

For those considering various transfer options to Seward do consider the train -- especially the Goldstar service in the upper level of the domed car. Not only was the scenery amazing (various animal spotting including a moose) but the seats were comfortable, and we could walk around and socialize with our friends. We were handed coffee as we boarded and later ushered into the dining car for a hot breakfast that included the option of very tasty reindeer sausage. Oh and we also sipped mimosas and champagne. Really it was such a great way to transfer.

On arrival we walked ten minutes to the ship and waited s short time before checking in.As two of our friends had never been on the Odyssey class ships we have them a brief tour before heading to lunch. Some of our group headed off to the Sea Life Center, some took a rest and my DH and I just went for a walk around Seward before returning for boat drill at 5:30. A quick drink in Obs Bar and then dinner with friends in the Restaurant before turning in after this long day.

We woke up yesterday to the stunning scenery of the Aialik Glacier -- part of the Harding Icefield. Temps were cold (low 40) but it didn't stop the intrepid kayaked or those of us who spent a good part of the morning on deck with the naturalists watching otters and even a chance sighting of a bear on shore. Others took the catamaran Excursion that substituted for the zodiacs. Mid day the ship moved and we were now by the smaller Holgate Glacier where another group of kayakers launched off for a close up view of the glacier. By the evening the weather had turned and rain began. But of course we were cozy inside enjoying a lovely dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin and frantic36, thanks for taking the time to post!!

I am really enjoying reading about what you both are doing and seeing.

Our cruise can't get here soon enough!

Carolyn

Yesterday, our sea day, I almost felt as if we were on a Med cruise. It was warm and sunny and by mid day the pool deck was filled with sun worshippers. Went to a cooking demo in the morning -- different from all those others I have been to over the years. First they did not have the mirrors over the chef's table so we could not see what he was doing. And secondly he made tiny portions of two interesting dishes (Panko crusted fried white asparagus and pasta with an arugula pesto) and did not pass out tasting samples for those in attendance.

After a lovely (very unhealthy) burger lunch on the pool deck I went to a lecture by one of the naturalists and was about to attend a second one on whales when I heard whales had been spotted off the side of the ship. I raced to the terrace behind Seabourn Square and for the next hour watched a number of fin whales blow and surface as the naturalists out there patiently answered our questions and helped guide our viewing.

Last night a lovely formal night dinner -- most people stepped up their games with men in dark suits or tuxes and ladies in elegant attire. Did see one woman in flip flops!!! We have been getting to know Karen, the Sommelier, quite well as we work our way through the well priced premium wine list!

Earlier this morning we sailed though the Cross Island sound and will be launching kayaks as we reach the Inian Islands. What I difference a day makes -- quite cool heavily overcast skies and low clouds. This afternoon we will anchor off of Icy Strait Point where the group of six of us have arranged a private whale watching trip. Do hope someone has cued the whales to put on a show!

Carolyn as long as the Internet gods cooperate I'll try to keep up my narrative. Hope you have as much fun on your cruise and continue Marazul's Alaska thread relating your experiences.

Thanks for the update Chairsin. Look forward to hearing more of your adventures. When you get a moment would you let me know whether the main dining room is open for lunch please? I would be a little afraid to use it in case i miss any wildlife up on deck though!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In case you missed it, a great Alaska trip report, complete with wonderful photos, from From the Deck Chair: http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2017/07/10/seabourns-ultimate-alaskan-sojourn-day-1/

NOW I'm really getting excited to get onboard!! :-D

Nicely done. It is the author's first Seabourn cruise.

And I think I saw the back of my head in one of the pictures. :D

I am looking forward to reading the rest to compare it to our memories of the cruise..

For those on-board .... say hello to Joseph who is one of the chefs in the Patio. He is from deepest darkest Edinburgh so you may have difficulty with his accent. But he will personally deliver your order to your table on the end of his pizza spatula (or whatever they are called). And, I am told, his lobster mac and cheese is to die for.

Roxburgh,

I will check out Joseph. Many crew on board from our recent Holiday Quest Antarctica cruise. We were remarking today with the bartender Milos ( who was with us on that cruise) that it was actually warmer in Antarctica than it is here today in Juneau.

Yesterday we had a perfect day in Icy Strait with comfortable temps and overcast skies as six of us enjoyed a wonderful private whale watching tour with a Glacier Winds and Captain Shawn. He wax relentless in finding us whales -- first some humpbacks who were mostly blows and backs and then a very closer encounter with a large inquisitive Orca.

Today in Juneau as I alluded to above the weather turned bitter cold and rainy. Four of us took off early for a short walk at Mendenhall Glacier. I was glad to stretch my legs but compared to other glaciers we have seen it was only so-so. We returned to Juneau to even steadier rain only to find out our 1PM Five Glacier float plane flight to Taku Lodge was cancelled. Not surprising but s bit disappointing. By late this afternoon I clearly conditions Improved enough that the float planes started taking off. We sat on our balcony and watched five in a row take off directly in front of us. What fun to have front row seat.

Fingers crossed for our private tour tomorrow in Haines.

And to those who inquired-food has been very good but not outstanding. Last night a terrific swordfish perfectly cooked served with creamy leeks. But a prior night the pheasant was tough and exceedingly over salted. Jes in on but as he is leaving shortly he is not in charge of the kitchen and another chef, Giese is the "primary."

And yes, I believe the Restaurant has been open even day for lunch and breakfast -- thought we only dine there for dinner.

Roxburgh,

I will check out Joseph. Many crew on board from our recent Holiday Quest Antarctica cruise. We were remarking today with the bartender Milos ( who was with us on that cruise) that it was actually warmer in Antarctica than it is here today in Juneau.

Yesterday we had a perfect day in Icy Strait with comfortable temps and overcast skies as six of us enjoyed a wonderful private whale watching tour with a Glacier Winds and Captain Shawn. He wax relentless in finding us whales -- first some humpbacks who were mostly blows and backs and then a very closer encounter with a large inquisitive Orca.

Today in Juneau as I alluded to above the weather turned bitter cold and rainy. Four of us took off early for a short walk at Mendenhall Glacier. I was glad to stretch my legs but compared to other glaciers we have seen it was only so-so. We returned to Juneau to even steadier rain only to find out our 1PM Five Glacier float plane flight to Taku Lodge was cancelled. Not surprising but s bit disappointing. By late this afternoon I clearly conditions Improved enough that the float planes started taking off. We sat on our balcony and watched five in a row take off directly in front of us. What fun to have front row seat.

Fingers crossed for our private tour tomorrow in Haines.

And to those who inquired-food has been very good but not outstanding. Last night a terrific swordfish perfectly cooked served with creamy leeks. But a prior night the pheasant was tough and exceedingly over salted. Jes in on but as he is leaving shortly he is not in charge of the kitchen and another chef, Giese is the "primary."

And yes, I believe the Restaurant has been open even day for lunch and breakfast -- thought we only dine there for dinner.

Overall, we thought that service was outstanding. There were lots of old friends from previous cruises in the crew. I think that the depth of experience made a real difference.

So it is hard to identify crew who were even better than that very high standard, however, Roberto in the Colonnade was really good (he was outside on the port side). In the MDR, Wian had section one 'humming'. So good that the captain was often seen dining there. Ruben in the Observation was excellent as was Marina (Sky Bar) and Milos. Head bartender is Slobodan, an old friend.

I really liked Jess as head chef. He not only produced great food but has a wonderful attitude. The halibut we had at the Chef's dinner was incredible.

One thing I noticed was that feedback was immediate. On a couple of occasions I complemented crew to the Maitre D', the chef or the head bartender and watched as they passed that on. You could see the delight on their faces as they received the news (I don't compliment lightly but I do believe in rewarding outstanding performance).

Agree with you on the Mendenhall Glacier. The catamaran tours we did to the Aialik and Dawes Glaciers were far better.

Hi, Chairsin - do you know when Jes is leaving? Also, is Jan still on as CD? Would love to know if either or both will be on when we board on August 1st. Don't suppose Nino or Mr. Chai are in the Colonnade? Oh, DH wants to know who the baristas are. LOL

When we were in Antarctica, people couldn't believe it when I told them how (relatively) warm it was compared to what was going on here in Colorado. I have pictures of me with jacket tied around my waist, sleeves pushed up, and just my fleece vest on.

Enjoy!

Only 21 sleeps until we are enjoying grandma cakes and affogatos! Oh, and breadsticks!

Edited by zelker

As to food, last night's dinner for the six of us was pretty universally a home run. Most had the Keller Foie Gras and pronounced it outstanding. My quail was beautifully tender, not the least oversalty and complemented with figs. Karen, the extremely knowledgeable sommelier put aside numerous wines for us the first night and last night we had the Opus One. We have also consumed some Tig, Far Niente Dolcetto, and a few bottles of Col Solare. The Sassicaia and Ornelaia will accompany future dinners.

Roxburgh

This is our first Sojourn cruise and for all of the reports last year of problems on this ship any apprehensions of sailing on her have been put aside. Our old friends include Roberto in the Restaurant where we are all dining most evenings. He seems concerned that we are not eating enough (ha ha!) and encourages us to order an extra course each evening.

In the Colonnade our friend Milos ( not to be confused with the Milos bartender who as I mentioned is also here) from the Odyssey is making things up there run smoothly.

Zelker,

Not sure who Nino and Mr. chai are but I will ask. I believe Jes leaves at the end of our cruise. Jan will be on for at least a couple of more cruises.

Tell your DH the wonderful Gianni and Gabor are our primary baristas.

Galeforce,

Definitely layers. The past couple of days on top was a thermal, a light zip top and the Seabourn jacket. On the bottom thermals, hiking pants and rain pants. Accessories included wool socks and waterproof hiking boots, stretchy gloves that dry quickly and knit caps (I'm wearing my wonderful penguin one from Antarctica). Today we may be able to reduce the layers and set aside the rain pants.

You know the old saying " there is no such thing as bad weather -- only bad clothing."

Today we have just arrived in Haines and while it is fairly overcast and cool now it is supposed to warm up to the mid 60's by the afternoon- which is good news for our private tour for six on a float boat to look for Eagles in the Chilkat Eagle Resrve.

Chairsin,

Thank you for your continuing reports. Glad to know the food and service are good. That is what I have always enjoyed about Seabourn.

Cool and overcast sounds wonderful.....it was 96 degrees and very humid here at home yesterday.

"There is no such thing as bad weather -- only bad clothing." So true especially about Alaska! Though I am always amazed at the people who complain about not being able to sunbath and needing cool weather or rain gear on Alaskan cruises!

Thanks again for taking time to keep us informed.

Carolyn

I have booked the trip out to AnAn Wildlife Sanctuary in Wrangell to see the bears catching the salmon whilst I am close by in the hide. Has anyone done that tour yet and can tell me how it went?

I am boarding in Vancouver on 21 July if anyone else is also?

Being solo, I'd like to join a trivia group.

Edited by AnnaAusAFF

Yes, per an earlier post from someone onboard now plus a photo of it sitting on the bed on the first evening (from Aaron Saunders' photo review), every stateroom gets one to keep! (y)

Many thanks for the prompt reply....:)

No internet service yesterday so I'm playing catch up. In Haines it was a very nice day weather wise -- Partly sunny and warm (mid 60's).HAL was at the dock when we arrived so we tendered. We went in early and did a hike on our own through an enchanting rain forest across streams to a beach and then back. In the afternoon we had a private float boat trip with Rainbow Glaciers for the six of us. We drove about 30 minutes up the Haines Highway and then floated down through the Bald Eagle Preserve for an hour and a half. At one point we got out of our raft and walked along a sandbar looking at very recent bear and moose prints (but none in the flesh). We also encountered some bald eagles in the trees above us so the trip was a success.

Yesterday we entered Tracy Arm (yea! Many cruises thus far this year have been unable to enter) to a misty and then very rainy cold morning. Nonetheless the scenery with the steep granite cliff, waterfalls and bands of green vegetation was magical. Kayakers went off as scheduled as did the catamaran. At about noon the sun came out and we shooed a big Carnival ship out of the way (okay, actually we waited for our allotted time slot) and pulled in rather near the face of Sawyer Glacier. As we pulled out late afternoon yet another ship passed us for their turn.

Dinner was a very good Tuscan Market in the Colonnade. Seated with friends at a window table we enjoyed dinner with an ever changing view.

Answers:

Yes, everyone received a copy of the book in their suite the first day along with a little pocket wildlife identification guide.

Mosquitos in general have not been an issue. When we were hiking out of Girdwood pre cruise we did encounter then but used the Cutter Bug Repellent wiped and had no problems. During the cruise we encountered a few during a hike out of Haines and that afternoon as we were walking on a sandbar during our rafting trip we encountered a couple of small ones. . Again not a big issue thus far.

As to Anan Creek and the bears, we are going there out of Ketchikan by float plane rather than the ship tour the day after tomorrow out of Wrangell. So no report yet but I can tell you that by all reports it has been a very good salon year so bears SHOULD by plentiful now.

As to the Spirit Bear out of Haines-- our guide said most likely what was spotted there was actually Glacier bear rather than a Spirit Bear. Still it must have been a special sighting. Fingers crossed for spotting Spirit bears from our zodiac tour out of Klemtu.