Alaska - on board

marazul

We also had this same experience disembarking in FLL a few years ago - no card, no GE. Now we always carry our card if disembarking the ship in the US.

Oh dear -- The CBP website says that you don't need the card when you can use your passport at a kiosk.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the recent CC postings re Vancouver disembarkation until I was already en route to Alaska. I have my passport with me, but left my card back in DC. :(

No idea what GE is. Is it a us thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, U.S. Global Entry - expedited passport / immigration control. You have to have your finger prints taken, an in-person interview, and pay a fee. Then you get to use a Kiosk and skip the lines.

We also had this same experience disembarking in FLL a few years ago - no card, no GE. Now we always carry our card if disembarking the ship in the US.

We went through this on Aug. 15. As others have said, you need your GOES card to enter the kiosk area. We were through and cleared within minutes. It is the first time we have needed the cards. I'm thankful that I bring them as a matter of course. The regular line was extremely long.

Alaska cruise great so far. Left kenai two hours early to outrun a storm but it caught up with us in the gulf of Alaska at force 10 for Monday afternoon and evening. Yesterday in hoonah/ icy strait point was gorgeous weather. Just arriving in Juneau and it's raining! Think we've been lucky so far.

Galeforce

Love the pics. Thank you for keeping this thread going and letting us know how your cruise is going. Weather in Alaska is always going to be hot or miss but I am glad you had good weather in Icy Strait/Hoonah. Did you go on a private whale watching excursion?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Galeforce

Love the pics. Thank you for keeping this thread going and letting us know how your cruise is going. Weather in Alaska is always going to be hot or miss but I am glad you had good weather in Icy Strait/Hoonah. Did you go on a private whale watching excursion?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin

Thanks for the comments. I'll try and post when I can. We had a great time at Mendenhall this morning. We just took a cab. The rain was intermittent and made for some great misty shots! In icy strait point/hoonah we would have loved to have gone for a private small boat excursion and received a great recommendation but they were scheduled that day around two large celebrity vessels that were in port at different times and couldn't accommodate us. Anyhow we had a great time on the zip line and then a lovely walk to hoonah and back. Everyone was so friendly and we found it a very nice place.

Tomorrow we have a flight booked over glacier bay but the forecast is for rain all day so I'm doubtful it will go ahead. On a brighter note, the longer range forecast is much better. Let's hope it's right. Forecast for 73f in Ketchikan!

Galeforce, we have not met you onboard yet. Which picture is yours?

These are just random people from the viewing area. My camera was far too precious for me to take on. Though they did say people would be fine with an slr. Wish I'd known that beforehand so hope that's useful for people going forward.

galeforce9,

Stunning pictures!! There is no color like iceberg blue! Thanks for sharing.

Assuming we can find gasoline to get out of the Houston area and Texas, we start our trek to Vancouver on Wed to meet the Sojourn for her last 2017 Alaska trip. So excited.

Did anyone do any of the catamaran or zodiac trips? How were they? Think we will do the crab feast, the ATV and jetboat trip.