Type of clothing aboard ship during San Diego/Hawaii cruise

calteacher

I realize this is a strange question, but what "season" of clothing do passengers usually wear on a Hawaii-bound ship. I know that once in the Islands, it is summery, tropical wear. But, when on the ship, is it also the tropical wear?

On Alaska cruises, we have gone with the idea of the layered look. In Europe, we followed the season, (summer), but am confused about this trip. It is February, so it is "winter". As a Californian, in winter we tend to do the "light-weight" but winter colors.

So, here's my crazy question: Do I take two types of clothing? One for the ship and another for Hawaii?

Thanks.

You should have a few days worth of appropriate clothing for San Diego depending on what time of year you leave. I always travel with a wind proof rain shell. After a couple of days westbound you'll be in tropical wear until about the last day or two eastbound.

I too think that it depends on what time of the year you leave. We have cruised with a light jacket and maybe a sweatshirt as Copper10-8 has suggested, and it worked just fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Have done 2 CA - Hawaii cruises in December... there were lots of very summery dressed people the first two days out of CA who were uncomfortably cold! Whatever color combinations you prefer, just make sure you are warm enough. The skies were cloudy, the air was misty and the wind made walking the decks chilly. So the first and last 2 days off of CA you need something warm. m--

Did this cruise in Feb '14 and absolutely froze first two days/nights. After that, not as cold, but still needed jacket in evening. Didn't take enough warm clothes so had to go to Walmart when in a port to get sweat pants and jacket for return trip. Of course as you get closer to the islands it gets much warmer and on the islands totally tropical. So my suggestion, especially if you like to be outside in evenings or use veranda, is take several days worth of warm clothing. Layers preferred.

Jane

One year I sailed this as a 16-day round trip out of LA, leaving on February 20. I found the first full day out, and the last day back, to be cool. I wore my summer clothes, with a wind breaker over them, on those days.

I didn't go outside at night, so don't know what it was like then.

Did the cruise, first time with a veranda. Couldn't open the veranda on the way over, big storm off of Alaska Rained at Hilo, beautiful day in Lahina,. Stuck in Honolulu for two nights, Big storm at Lanai, couldn't dock there.. Couldn't open the Veranda door on the way back. Storm had moved to the south Pacific. No crowds at dinner, lot of seasickness. Pretty neat to see the waves breaking half way back. Hi humidity on the ship, gooey. Everywhere you went the AC was full blast, cold.

None of the above should happen to you, but it does happen..

What about the first week of October??

When I've sailed that itinerary out of San Diego in early October I found it warm from the time we sailed. The last day coming back was on the cool side at sea.

aa7yy, When did you sail? What ship? Thanks.

That would be December 8, 2012 on the Zaandam.

Really pretty typical. I'am a northwest guy. Alaska storms move into Washington and oregon and dribble southwest. Big storm, big dribble. You will know it before you leave SD. Check the forecast for the Washington coast.or Seattle. In mid November on the cruise, you can get the remnants of tropical storms from Mexico. After that, what makes Seattle green.