RCCL Dining Options - Maybe We Should Cancel Our Reservation?

As for air conditioning, I know at least for us, since we were on deck 11, we pretty much had to go outside through the pool all the time unless we went to a different floor. I also thought that many times the halls were too hot and humid even with the air. Add to that, Caribbean cruises seem to be a little more laid back environment (probably from the whole island time).

While I did bring plenty of pants, I would always end up sweating in them, as that is just how I am. I wear shorts in Iowa in February, and pretty much year around at work, and it is air conditioned.

Sorry that you had halls that were too hot. Not sure which ships you cruised on but we never had issues with heat on 11 because we just take the elevator up or down to the MDR level that we are assigned. Dining on Caribbean cruises is still dining with many of the choices available on many other cruises.

Sorry that you had halls that were too hot. Not sure which ships you cruised on but we never had issues with heat on 11 because we just take the elevator up or down to the MDR level that we are assigned. Dining on Caribbean cruises is still dining with many of the choices available on many other cruises.

Were you on a radiance class deck 11? With that layout, the main way through is the lol Devo unless you want to go through the room hallways. Could I have avoided- sure, but it was the main way through.

As to whether you had warm halls, them great that you didn't have them, go ahead and dress up, and don't worry what others wear.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Might be Solarium Cafe.

It was supposed to be turned into Park Cafe, but fell victim to the unexpectedly excessive cost of the Empress refurb, just like Chops on MJ. I hear Chops is planned for MJ in the near future, so I'd expect them to also put Park Cafe on JW at some point.

They're adding Chops on Majesty during dry dock in January

The NCL Dawn is sailing out of Puerto Rico starting in November. There are two main dining rooms and you can wear shorts to one without an issue. The other requires long pants (jeans count).

If you don't want the main dining room, there is O'Sheehan's, which is open 24/7 and offers pub style food (wings, burgers, fish & chips, Shepard's pie, etc.). There is also a special offered there some nights (ribs, prime rib, seafood basket). In addition, there is a free Asian restaurant. There are also multiple specialty restaurants (only one will require long pants).

No formal nights on NCL and dinner in the dining room varies ..........

We spent 12dys on Dawn last April, no complaints at all, recently refurbished and with a great crew. Lots of food choices,they even had crepes every night in the buffet:)

We've been on RCL Jewel OTS too but would pick NCL Dawn out of Puerto Rico.

Edited by pspercy

We've done 2 recent-ish cruises where guys at the table wore shorts and Hawaiian shirts every night. One guy was 30ish, one was 60ish :). No one seemed to mind, and they weren't kicked out of the MDR. Our meals are usually 1-1.5 hours. If we told waiter we were in a rush, it was under an hour...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn't thinking about another type of vacation, but another cruise line. Perhaps Norwegian with its freestyle cruising, or Carnival which is more casual and where shorts are allowed in the MDR.

I have been on all three cruise and while the dress code may not be an issue (which that issue has been dragged to death already), you will not want to eat the food on Carnival and the dining time on NCL will be the same as RCI.

I think you will be fine with MDR as long as you have a private table as so many others have posted.

There...problem solved. :)

I've never been on Royal, but on Celebrity, the buffet (Oceanview Cafe) is very diversified and dress code wouldn't be an issue based on your desires (just no swimming attire). Also, there are many stations where the food is made to order for you (eg steak, fish, chicken) or stir fry to name a few.

I'm not sure the reason your wife doesn't like buffets but if one reason is 'too many hands in the pot' then these stations where food is cooked for you made to order may take care of that concern. Perhaps Royal does this as well?

If the OP can explain more the dislikes of a buffet by his wife, maybe people can address those concerns in more detail and maybe alleviate some of the concerns?

Cruising, IMHO, is indeed a wonderful way to sample various ports. Although I have heard of ports being cancelled due to weather, I don't think this happens all the time, so this wouldn't be a reason to reconsider cruising, in my opinion.

I wasn't thinking about another type of vacation, but another cruise line. Perhaps Norwegian with its freestyle cruising, or Carnival which is more casual and where shorts are allowed in the MDR.

You are courageous to bring it up! Sounds like NCL might be the cruise line for the original poster....NCL addresses all of his concerns! Not a popular post on a RCCL board but he should read up on Freestyle cruising!

I also have found the buffet at night to be really good, and not crowded.

Note that on port-of-call days for lunch, the buffet is the only option -- including when you board.

Breakfast and lunch at the buffet can be crowded.

You can get food there and take it just about anywhere else in the public areas -- or back to your cabin.

MDR (main dining room) is open for breakfast each day -- Try the eggs benedict there.

Even if you had other dining options such as Chops, these places usually have dress codes.