Total Solar Eclipse of August 21, 2017: Should I Go or Should I Stay?

Cruz-OR

Carnival Pride out of Baltimore leaves on August 20 and would be in the eclipse area on the 21st. I am certain people on that cruise will experience a partial eclipse on their way to Grand Turk with 2 sea days in between. I don't see why the Captain wouldn't slightly modify course to be in the total eclipse zone at sea. There would certainly be a warning about not staring at the sun and a mention about it in their FunTimes.

Casper, WY is expecting thousands of travelers for this event; I live about two hours north and don't plan on driving down for it. But it will be interesting to see if Wyoming gets as crazy as they have been predicting it will!

We had been planning to be in Wyoming but that was when we lived in Minnesota. Then we heard that hotels on the path were cancelling existing reservations made the year before and charging $1,000 or more per night so glad we had not made a reservation. Plan now is to stay somewhere within an early morning (3am) drive of the path in Eastern Oregon and drive to the path that morning. Probably will pick some way out of the way dirt road on the path and park at a middle of nowhere cross road.

Biggest issue is so many at work will want to go we will virtually have to shutdown. This event will be tantamount to a national holiday.

You know, what you said about hotels cancelling reservations was something that occurred to me, but then I said to myself 'nah, they wouldn't do that'. Now I ask, 'will they'?

I made reservations in Columbia SC, I'm thinking maybe I should call and verify that we do still have reservations!

This event will be tantamount to a national holiday.
I agree. But right now so many people aren't even aware of the Eclipse.

I guess they will wake up eventually.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone else find it strange that not one cruise line has a cruise that will view the eclipse?

I searched the East Coast cruises and couldn't find one.

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas has reconfigured it's itinerary so that passengers can view the eclipse. They are calling it the Eclipse Cruise. It leave Port Canaveral, FL on Sunday, August 20th and returns Sunday, Aug. 27th. Inside cabins were still available when I checked yesterday but they definitely increased the prices for the few that do remain.

I saw that they had that cruise, but did they do it last minute (like 2 months ago is when attention was given to it that I saw)?

Really a missed opportunity for several cruise lines. Glad RCI came up with one!

So, is everyone ready for the eclipse? I'm watching the weather forecast with fingers crossed.

We bought our glasses and a filter for our camera.

Does anyone else find it strange that not one cruise line has a cruise that will view the eclipse?

I searched the East Coast cruises and couldn't find one.

Not I -- imagine the grumpy passengers if it rained on them that day-- and all the subsequent plaints on CC about not getting at least a partial refund.

Not I -- imagine the grumpy passengers if it rained on them that day-- and all the subsequent plaints on CC about not getting at least a partial refund.

So true! Plus when they jack the price up for the eclipse, so go the expectations ;)

Heard the space station crew will have 3 flybys of the eclipse. Hope they get some good photos especially of the shadow on the ground. Would love to see the shadow from that height to see if it is circular, oblong, distorted or what. The weather is a worry here. Our home is on the centerline in Western Oregon but some mornings are overcast and it doesn't always burn off before 10:00 am. We're hoping for a bright sunny morning on the 21st. And good weather for all of you wherever you are watching the eclipse.

Edited by Cruz-OR

Can you imagine the visuals that we may get to see from the space station? Amazing.

I'm going to start looking at the weather reports tomorrow for Columbia SC. If it will be mostly cloudy on the 21st, we'll probably just stay home.

Here I think we will get to see 93% obscuration.

I'm actually frightened for people who are not prepared and think they can view this event with the naked eye. Viewing without the specially-made glasses can result in retina damage and even blindness. :(

IF a cruise ship was advertising this as a special event, I'd hope they'd provide glasses for all. We can't find them here - all sold out.

The family near Lyons, Madras and Mill City are having a few CA visitors to see this event.

"The August 2017 event will be the first one whose totality path lies completely within the United States since 1776, experts have said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
The eclipse in 31 seconds:

That was amazing, thank you!

So, how did everyone do?

We decided to go (Columbia SC) even though chance of clouds. We are so glad we did!

The total eclipse was an event that I will never forget. And really want to see it in 2024!

I went to Salem..... weather was cool, clear and the eclipse was beautiful.

• The biggest surprise for me was being able to see the "helmet streamers" across the sky.... I haven't seen any pictures of the streamers on the web images. The sky was just too bright for the cameras.
  • The 4hr Salem to Portland was predicted and did cause problems for my Greyhound.
  • there was concerns about cell signals being overwhelmed.... Google Maps was available for me all day without problems on my Blackberry.

I was in Rapid City, SD, and we had 96% coverage. We thought 96% was pretty darn close to 100%, but apparently for a solar eclipse, it's all or nothing! The temp dropped a few degrees and it got just the tiniest bit less sunny, and we could see the progress of the moon over the sun, but that was about it. I didn't know to look for crescent shaped shadows until the next day, so we even missed out on that. Now we know we'll be heading to Texas in 7 years and doing it right!

69ed78e6c3d505bb11deccf320eb9ee1.jpg

We went to Hopkinsville, KY, as planned. Totality was an experience like nothing I've ever done before. We were on a farm, surrounded by corn, but wide open space to be able to see and hear all that was happening. We heard the cicadas start up string and the birds started up as well. At about 75%, a really strong breeze picked up and it started cooling off shortly thereafter.

I think we were all completely unprepared for the beauty of totality. I'd seen pictures, but honestly, it's not the same as seeing the sun's corona shining out around the moon. And I think one of my favorite parts was viewing the 360 degree sunset all around us! Awesome!

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves on Eclipse day! I will certainly be chasing it again in 2024!

I guess I didn't get the memo that we couldn't continue to discuss something that was enjoyable.

Memo: It's over. DAYS ago. Move on. Life goes on. :) Seriously though...not being mean. Just don't know why everyone is still discussing this. Ended days ago. My heart is with all the poor people in Texas, which is happening now, not last week. Still luv ya though! :cool: