Wine recommendations

David Owl

On the P&O menus there are normally wine recommendations. I am more of a beer man so can't tell whether these are really good wines, or at least good value, or if they are the ones that give P&O the best returns, or ones that are overstocked and they need to shift.

Can anyone advise please

Thanks

I always start with cheapest, and then work my way up if I need to. On any cruise line I find there to be very little difference between most wines at the bottom end of the price list, and quite a number of them are more than acceptable to me.

I always start with cheapest, and then work my way up if I need to. On any cruise line I find there to be very little difference between most wines at the bottom end of the price list, and quite a number of them are more than acceptable to me.
Hi,good answer,theres too much wine snobbery about.I paid £16 for a bottle of rose on the Aurora,very good wine.Here in Italy if we pay more than 4 euro,then that is classed as a fine wine,lol,cheers,Brian.

Always found their wines to be good but the best red in my humble opinion is velvet devil which I think is 19:50 a bottle. That said, the house wine is drinkable.

Have to say, we are usually white wine people but we tasted this on a wine tasting last year and really enjoyed it on Britannia in May. Lovely wine.

Hi, we like the Velvet Devil and the Gavi Di Gavi, but a couple of years ago we got a free bottle of house wine for dining in a select venue on embarkation day, it was very good so we drink that quite a lot now. At home these days we tend not to drink alcohol especially with the alcohol free beer ranges expanding. As a matter of interest has anyone seen Echo Falls Sparkling Infusion onboard? IMO it's the only drinkable alcohol free wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We generally go with the house red or white by Ollie Smith the P&O wine man. Not bad, not great, but what do you want for 13 quid, probably more than that now.:cool: I must say though P&O UK has a very good wine list from my travels on Arcadia x 2, Oriana and Aurora.

We like Shiraz and find that we prefer the Billi Billi variety to the more expensive version offered. The prices of wines on P&O ships are all very reasonable IMO. The only poor wine we have had has been the freebie stuff given at the priority boarders lunch and Captains drinks on the 2nd night. The 'champagne' is no such thing. It's cheap and nasty fizz that leaves an acrid after taste in your mouth. I tried to take the taste away with a glass of white and that was just as revolting. If that's the 'house' wine tread with caution! I haven't tried the freebie red but am tempted to go for a G&T next time as that surely must be palatable! As I say, all the wines I have purchased have been fine and they are mostly the lower-mid priced ones.

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend anything - I can only talk about what I've enjoyed - but I would recommend The Glasshouse, as long as you're on an appropriate ship (Britannia, Azura, Ventura, and Aurora). This gives you the opportunity to try a wide range of wines at 'per glass' prices. They also do 'flights' - a set of three wines, either matched or contrasting, to give you some comparisons.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll give the house wine a try and see how it goes

David

Why not stick to the beer?

Old Speckled Hen for a start.

There are some excellent beers.

For wine a New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc takes some beating.

We too usually drink the Olly Smith red or rose', both very easily drinkable!! :p

Yes have to agree and also the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. Didn't have a bad wine at all , very reasonably priced and the whites were served chilled. Delicious:D:wine-glass::wine-glass:

We too usually drink the Olly Smith red or rose', both very easily drinkable!! :p

Not been with P&O UK since 2015 (Aurora/Oriana) so please, what is the price these days of ye olde Ollie Smith wine on the ships?:halo: By the bottle of course in the MDR, if your gonna have a drink, have a drink, lol.