AA Whine

TMLAalum

Just discovered that flight #198 from JFK to MXP on a 767-300 provides entertainment via overhead, dropdown screens in the main cabin. At least Business Class (which unfortunately isn't us) gets the use of Samsung tablets.

I don't recall any overseas flights on a variety of airlines, including the now defunct airberlin and Icelander, we've ever taken in this century that didn't have seatback screens!

Must be a former USAir plane that we're flying...when we flew 1st from CLT-LAX in January '16, there was nada in the way of entertainment on what was clearly a repainted USAir plane.

At least with it being an eastbound flight, we won't miss being able to choose music, or movies, or the flight tracker if we can sleep for most of the journey!

Just discovered that flight #198 from JFK to MXP on a 767-300 provides entertainment via overhead, dropdown screens in the main cabin. At least Business Class (which unfortunately isn't us) gets the use of Samsung tablets.

I don't recall any overseas flights on a variety of airlines, including the now defunct airberlin and Icelander, we've ever taken in this century that didn't have seatback screens!

Must be a former USAir plane that we're flying...when we flew 1st from CLT-LAX in January '16, there was nada in the way of entertainment on what was clearly a repainted USAir plane.

At least with it being an eastbound flight, we won't miss being able to choose music, or movies, or the flight tracker if we can sleep for most of the journey!

US never had any 763s; all of AA's had overhead monitors. They're being retired in due course. You'll still get several channels of music however. Load up a phone, Kindle or tablet with movies and off you go.

PS airBerlin isn't defunct - yet - and if you mean Icelandair, they're still flying too.

US never had any 763s; all of AA's had overhead monitors. They're being retired in due course. You'll still get several channels of music however. Load up a phone, Kindle or tablet with movies and off you go.

PS airBerlin isn't defunct - yet - and if you mean Icelandair, they're still flying too.

We flew a 767-300 (Version 1) on US from ATH to PHL in 2012.

Am looking at those AA aircraft for a trip next summer in BC. AA is now flying non stop PHL to both Prague and Budapest using the new retrofit 763.

However, AA hosed me hard this week on an upcoming flight, so may book it with Star Alliance out of spite.

We flew a 767-300 (Version 1) on US from ATH to PHL in 2012.

US had 767-200s but never -300s. The 762s did quite a few European routes, not sure if it included the ATH route but they did operate out of CLT and PHL.

US had 767-200s but never -300s. The 762s did quite a few European routes, not sure if it included the ATH route but they did operate out of CLT and PHL.

Thinking about it, it very likely was a 200, it was definitely a 767. It was 100% sure ATH to PHL. I remember the flight well as it was six hours delayed due to a mechanical issue and almost everyone else had taken an earlier flight on another carrier. We took advantage of the delay and did some additional sightseeing, and were two of only four people in the Envoy (US's business class) on the flight.

there was an article recently somewhere (probably saw the header on another site, looking at something else) that said AA was taking out the seat-back monitors on some planes...

Now that you mention it, I saw it as well, probably on FlyerTalk.

there was an article recently somewhere (probably saw the header on another site, looking at something else) that said AA was taking out the seat-back monitors on some planes...

AA is not taking it out of existing aircraft (as NW did some years back), but rather not installing on their new 737MAX.

In addition, they will start on a "cruise route" -- LGA to MIA.

STORY LINK HERE

AA is not taking it out of existing aircraft (as NW did some years back), but rather not installing on their new 737MAX.
I guess it makes sense, given how many passengers are bringing their own entertainment devices now.

Yes, the 767-300 for AA has never and will never have PTV, even the retrofitted ones. Its unfortunate for longer international flights, but that is the way it is. You could always load up on some movies on an I-pad or I-phone, though I don't know the electric outlets situation either. The 767s are slowly being retired out of the fleet and being replaced by 787 aircraft. The 787, 777, and A330 all have in seat IFE.

Any new orders of AA's planes won't have seatback IFE either, but they all will have streaming IFE. So you can stream tons of movies and even live tv onto your device. Though I am not sure how good it will be for international flights on those planes as the 737s and narrow body airbus does go to Central America, South America and the Caribbean.

The widebody will keep IFE as they are used for crossing oceans where streaming is much more difficult.

The nice thing about the 763 is its 2-3-2 seating. Honestly, these days, I would rather have the 2 row seat and just bring my Ipad.

AA just did complete retrofit on a number (28 I believe) of their 767s and those planes will be around for awhile. AA recently added non stop service from PHL to both BudaPest and Prague. The aircraft they're using, the retrofitted 767.

On another sad note, during the retrofit, on those planes, they had the option to add PE seats and service and chose not to. So AA has a "new" group of planes that will probably be in international service another decade that will not offer PE service.