When does UBP become active?

Lyn1Lyn

I remember reading somewhere that embarkation in certain home ports requires the Unlimited Beverage Package to start the day after embarkation. Due to some taxes or something. I could swear that NOLO and NY are 2 of them. Can anyone clarify this?

It is active the moment you go on board. What you're thinking of is the taxes most (If not all) American ports require ships to collect while in port. These charges are minimal and won't make or break your cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It is active the moment you go on board. What you're thinking of is the taxes most (If not all) American ports require ships to collect while in port. These charges are minimal and won't make or break your cruise.

Thanks, but that is not what I am referring to. I am aware of the taxes while in port. It is something to do with not actually being able to use it while in that specific home port. Maybe i am thinking of something else, wish I could remember where I saw it.

Anyway, I can use the UBP as soon as I board in NYC. Correct?

Thanks, but that is not what I am referring to. I am aware of the taxes while in port. It is something to do with not actually being able to use it while in that specific home port. Maybe i am thinking of something else, wish I could remember where I saw it.

I have never seen or heard of the UBP being unavailable due to being in any specific port. Yes, you can start ordering drinks once you board in NYC.

Correct. You may be thinking of the restrictions out of Houston which had something to do with serving limited types of drinks until the ship reached the gulf.

I remember reading somewhere that embarkation in certain home ports requires the Unlimited Beverage Package to start the day after embarkation. Due to some taxes or something. I could swear that NOLO and NY are 2 of them. Can anyone clarify this?

Active as soon as you board.

When we did a B2B 2 years ago on Carnival out of Galveston, we experienced this. There was no charge for the drink package on embarkation day because of some sort of law in Texas about alcohol in the all inclusive package. So our package started the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting, I'd never heard that. The state, or city may not allow "giving away" liquor. I believe that Massachusetts doesn't allow promo's that involve free liquor, but the UBP still kicks in upon boarding in Boston.

I'm unsure of how it works with NCL, this was just our experience with Carnival.

b1478a2b519d48a210c02795a9763bb2.jpg

Correct. You may be thinking of the restrictions out of Houston which had something to do with serving limited types of drinks until the ship reached the gulf.

Because of tx law, they can't bring you bottled liquor either if in an os or above.

I'm unsure of how it works with NCL, this was just our experience with Carnival.

b1478a2b519d48a210c02795a9763bb2.jpg

Thank you so much!!! That is exactly what I remember reading, just totally couldn't remember where..we usually cruise Carnival, this is our first time on NCL..

I appreciate the clarification .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

Your package is active as soon as you board in NYC.

I can't speak to Carnival sailing out of NY. This was just our experience sailing out of Galveston, TX and what is posted on Carnival.

Anyone have more info on the Australia issue? Sailing Jewel on Dec 14, round trip out of Sydney. Wondering if we should anticipate a issue with our UBP?

Sounds like an issue just for Carinval. We were on NCL Star this Feb from Sydney and the UBP was not restricted. We boarded around noon and had drinks at lunch. However, the Australian authorities did inform us that once we boarded the ship we could not get off again before sail away.

Sounds like an issue just for Carinval. We were on NCL Star this Feb from Sydney and the UBP was not restricted. We boarded around noon and had drinks at lunch. However, the Australian authorities did inform us that once we boarded the ship we could not get off again before sail away.

I haven't heard anything about Australia. Maybe it's just Carnival. I'm not sure.

Correct...though as already noted, you will pay NYC sales tax until you are out of territorial waters...less than $1 per drink

If I remember correctly, they will ring up individual drinks while in port, or within 12 miles, so that they can charge the tax on it, but then once the ship leaves the port, they credit the actual drink price back if you have the package.