Getting on in different port than inital port

booziemgm2

I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. If you go to the website for that particular cruise there's a disclaimer about where you can reboard the ship of you miss the initial embarkation.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. If you go to the website for that particular cruise there's a disclaimer about where you can reboard the ship of you miss the initial embarkation.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

True, that is without paying the fine.

True, that is without paying the fine.

Besides, Key West ports top is Tuesday, which is the day of one of the girl's college classes. The ship leaves the port at 4pm,so all aboard at 3:30. Doesn't work out either, in fact it did they might as well just skip the school events and go with everyone on Sunday.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't even attempt this at all. Too much could go wrong. When we went to Ireland in June on American, weather made half the plane miss their flight to CLT, therefore missing their flight to Ireland (and the next flight was in 24 hours). But hey, we each got our own row of seats to lay down :D.

Sorry, but I wouldn't chance it on this one.

Good replies. Thought of all those scenarios. Typed wrong port name, it is Freeport! Just trying to think out loud, for it might be grandparents last vacation with all grand kids and with a college senior and high school senior both taking college classes combined with residence assistance (RA) job and final theatre performances, just trying to see if it would all work out. Thanks again. Waiting to hear from the travel agent to get Carnival confirmation on situation.

Someone posted this, maybe you could just pay the fine and get them on board in Key West:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2535555

Can't they pay the $300 pp fine for boarding in another US port and get on in Key West? That time line is really tight in Nassau, one little hiccup and they miss the ship.

The situation linked above is slightly different, in that the people had arrived at the ship and found their documents were onboard in their luggage. This is a bit of a surprise that it was allowed, but perhaps CBP considered it under the weather delay, or mechanical difficulty kind of delayed boarding. What the OP wants to do is "knowingly" violate the PVSA, for personal convenience, which is not allowed.

Good replies. Thought of all those scenarios. Typed wrong port name, it is Freeport! Just trying to think out loud, for it might be grandparents last vacation with all grand kids and with a college senior and high school senior both taking college classes combined with residence assistance (RA) job and final theatre performances, just trying to see if it would all work out. Thanks again. Waiting to hear from the travel agent to get Carnival confirmation on situation.

What airline are you flying? I was trying to duplicate what you wrote and I couldn't find any flight from msy to fpo matching your posted times.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

The situation linked above is slightly different, in that the people had arrived at the ship and found their documents were onboard in their luggage. This is a bit of a surprise that it was allowed, but perhaps CBP considered it under the weather delay, or mechanical difficulty kind of delayed boarding. What the OP wants to do is "knowingly" violate the PVSA, for personal convenience, which is not allowed.

As I was typing my reply I was hoping that you would chime in with the answer. I have learned quite a bit of information about the seas from you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Here is my thought. I would not want them to miss any college classes period. None. They are way too important. The Senior Play? Guessing it's High School, and it's a minor event, although it could be major for the daughter.

Let's go to the flights. How good are the kids at hustling when needed. Are they willing to run in airports, and communicate to taxi's etc. on the importance of getting someplace on time? Will they travel only with carry on bags, or better yet, no bags at all, and let the family on the cruise have their suitcases. Just have them carry a back pack with essentials.

What if something does happen? People talk about buying insurance all the time. Why not buy a round trip ticket instead of a one way ticket. The reason is because it would be cheaper in advance than at the airport same day. Plus, can the kid's handle this themselves?

The question comes up. Would you do it, or risk it. Well each event is very important, and so therefore, if you have a detailed game plan, and a back-up plan if it does not work, and you have no issue with the money involved, then do it. I might consider doing it myself but I'm also one of those that don't have issues with risk, and I have money to play with.

• 3 months later...
Here is the dilemma! Boat leaves New Orleans, Sunday Nov 19 at 4pm and you have to be onboard by 3pm

Daughter has a play performance (senior year play) on Sunday at 2 pm and both have college classes till Tuesday evening. Travel agent got word from VP of Carnival that the girls could meet us in second port on Wednesday in Nassau but not first port Key West since it is a US territory. Huge fine for cruise line if we did this and if they even allowed it. Flight to Nassau not bad less than $500.00 for both. The whole fam damily is going (14) for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Airport in Nassau is 12 miles from cruise terminal, flight leaves NO around 10 am, stop in Miami and arrive in Nassau at 3 and ship leaves at 5pm. (tight timeline for holiday week!)

Has anyone ever gotten on at another port and if so how did it go?

So how did it go??