Solstice Smoking

We are thinking of booking a cabin on the Solstice. I have heard that on ships smoking is allowed on the port side balconies. We would like to book a port side cabin because we were told that the port side is best for viewing the ports we will visit. Is it true that smoking is allowed on the port side balconies?

Whoever told you that one side or the other is best for seeing the ports is probably wrong because no one knows which side of the ship will be facing in or out of ant given port. Similarly whoever told you people can smoke on balconies is also wrong. Smoking is not allowed on verandahs on any Celebrity ship.

We are thinking of booking a cabin on the Solstice. I have heard that on ships smoking is allowed on the port side balconies. We would like to book a port side cabin because we were told that the port side is best for viewing the ports we will visit. Is it true that smoking is allowed on the port side balconies?

No smoking on Celebrity's balconies, but it is allowed on the the fifth and pool deck, port side. Some people report smelling smoke coming from those areas on their balconies. Before you chose a cabin check the sticky on the top of this board. :)

More info here...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1991626&referrerid=103257

Edited by drarill

On our Equinox cruise last month there was definitely someone smoking on their balcony multiple times. I kept smelling it and so did my husband. We were on the 11th deck in aqua. I never saw the person smoking, but I sure smelled it. Frmpei wrote a recent review talking abut their balcony neighbors who were smoking cigars:eek:

But smoking is few and far between.

On our Equinox cruise last month there was definitely someone smoking on their balcony multiple times. I kept smelling it and so did my husband. We were on the 11th deck in aqua. I never saw the person smoking, but I sure smelled it. Frmpei wrote a recent review talking abut their balcony neighbors who were smoking cigars:eek:

But smoking is few and far between.

Hi Dana, did you call Guest Relations about it?

No, not true. You were given misinformation. Smoking is prohibited

on all balconies but of course you are always going to find folks who

think the rules don't apply to them.:eek:

No smoking on Celebrity's balconies, but it is allowed on the the fifth and pool deck, port side. Some people report smelling smoke coming from those areas on their balconies. Before you chose a cabin check the sticky on the top of this board. :)

Smoking is NOT allowed on Pool deck.

They stopped it on our Reflection cruise

Smoking is NOT allowed on Pool deck.

They stopped it on our Reflection cruise

WOW..really? No longer smoking portside at the pool?

(I am not a smoker) but I am surprised....there were usually ashtrays

over there all the time.

WOW..really? No longer smoking portside at the pool?

(I am not a smoker) but I am surprised....there were usually ashtrays

over there all the time.

Only smoking areas on the Reflection are on Deck 15, upper deck of the pool, Deck 5 and Sunset Bar

Reflection must be stricter than Eclipse. There was a bar and tables on the pool deck right beside the jogging/walking path that did allow smoking this April.

Actually, that is the first I have ever read/heard it. I have seen

ashtrays portside at the pool on every cruise I have taken. I was

on Century in February and one of my friend's smokes...If I wanted

to find him to say hello? I would find him there;)...at the pool,

with a drink, his I-Pad, cigarette and ashtray.

In my opinion NOTHING in your post is correct. You were given terrible information. Smoking is NEVER allowed on any stateroom balcony, port side or starboard side. Also "port" side is NOT the best for viewing the ports you are visiting. "Port" only means the side of the ship with cargo docks to take on supplies, people, etc. In each and EVERY port you visit, it depends how the ships "parks" which slip they pull into, whether they back in or pull in, etc as to the best view of the port city.

... Also "port" side is NOT the best for viewing the ports you are visiting. "Port" only means the side of the ship with cargo docks to take on supplies, people, etc. In each and EVERY port you visit, it depends how the ships "parks" which slip they pull into, whether they back in or pull in, etc as to the best view of the port city.

An important consideration that determines which side a ship docks are the tidal currents. The ship will typically dock in whatever position is safest to work with the direction of the currents at the time of day it docks, or for the safest departure, whichever is the most severe. Since the timing of ebb and flood tides vary day to day, a ship may dock with the port side to shore on one visit, and the starboard side to shore on the next visit.

Edited by boogs