Join cruise at 1st port?

slcmom

Has anyone ever missed embarkation:eek: and joined an RCI cruise at the 1st port? How did it work? I'm anxious to hear your stories. Thanks

If you are on a cruise leaves and comes back to the same your out of luck to join the cruise.

If the cruise leaves from a US port then the answer will be no. If it leaves from a different country the answer will be maybe. You need to call

Please direct any requests and/or questions to the following e-mail address or fax number:

Fax Number: (305) 373-6695

E-mail: AirSeaGFO@RCCL.com

Request Form

Royal Caribbean International maintains the right to deviate from any scheduled port of call without prior notice. Royal Caribbean International is not legally liable for any loss to guests caused by reason of the deviation. In addition, while Royal Caribbean International will attempt to follow our published schedules as closely as possible, they are not responsible if the published times at any ports of call cannot be adhered to. However, Royal Caribbean International will attempt to keep our guests informed of any changes.

I was going to book a cruise out of San Juan knowing that because I would have to work on the day of embarkation and could only take a flight that would arrive at 6:45 for a cruise that left at 8:30.

My plan was to go for it and if I missed the cruise, just take a quick puddle jumper flight to St. Thomas, the first stop, and meet the ship the next morning.

But before I booked the airfare to San Juan I thought I'd better call RCCL to confirm that I really COULD get on in St. Thomas and not just assume. I got a "maybe" reply from customer service. Then I called my AMEX travel agent and RCCL again to get a more definite answer and got a definite NO and and absolutely YES, no problem. So I got no, maybe, and yes. haha I booked a different cruise...wasn't going to take the chance.

Then while on board I booked with the future cruise consultant the first cruise I had wanted to do knowing I would face the same problem, but asked him if he could give me a definite answer on that question. He said definitely, no problem, I could get on on the first port of call, St. Thomas, after the ship had embarked from San Juan, a US Port. Based on his assurance (I took his business card!) I booked, but I made the ship so it was a non-issue.

The reasons stated the previous year for the definite "No" answer were some maritime/customs law I forget the name of concerning vessels that leave domestic ports and travel to foreign ports.

So I have no answer to the question, but that was my experience.

The reasons stated the previous year for the definite "No" answer were some maritime/customs law I forget the name of concerning vessels that leave domestic ports and travel to foreign ports.

So I have no answer to the question, but that was my experience.

That would be the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA), often commonly called the Jones Act. The Jones Act however, is a similar law that actually applies to shipment of cargo between US ports. The PVSA does not apply in Puerto Rico or the USVI.

If the cruise leaves from a US port then the answer will be no. If it leaves from a different country the answer will be maybe. You need to call

Please direct any requests and/or questions to the following e-mail address or fax number:

Fax Number: (305) 373-6695

E-mail: AirSeaGFO@RCCL.com

Request Form

Royal Caribbean International maintains the right to deviate from any scheduled port of call without prior notice. Royal Caribbean International is not legally liable for any loss to guests caused by reason of the deviation. In addition, while Royal Caribbean International will attempt to follow our published schedules as closely as possible, they are not responsible if the published times at any ports of call cannot be adhered to. However, Royal Caribbean International will attempt to keep our guests informed of any changes.

What if the 1st stop is also a US port? We have friends joining us on the BR in April. They could not fly down the day before. Our first stop is Key West. I was thinking if for some reason they missed the ship in Tampa that they could drive (or fly) down to Key West and get onboard the next day.

Is that not doable?

Edited by molly361

Unfortunately this just happened to us in Feb, we had our worst travel experience ever. We are coming from Europe, so had a flight to arrive into IAH at 7 pm on Saturday, cruise departed from Galveston on Sunday. Due to mechanical issure crew legality and a little weather our flight was cancelled, they put us on the only other possible option arriving into IAH at 1:30 pm. We were a bit late, but since check-in was until four, should have made the ship. Had a private driver standing by. But guess what, our luggage never arrived, however, the computer system said it had so we had to return to baggage claim area while a ramp agent checked. This cost us three days of our cruise, didn't leave the airport until 3 pm, and made it to port at 4:15, they were just locking the doors, and could not let us through even though the ship was still there. We had been in contact with the emergency travel line throughout this process, and they were able to get us approval to board in Roatan, Honduras. There were about ten people on the embarkation list. Guest services came down to greet us with our keys, and we had to stop by and fill out the medical forms, and set up credit card. It turned out okay, since we had a couple of days to sightsee in Houston, and buy some clothes. Our bags never did arrive, we picked them up at the airport on our way home.

Edited by whycruisewhynot

What if the 1st stop is also a US port? We have friends joining us on the BR in April. They could not fly down the day before. Our first stop is Key West. I was thinking if for some reason they missed the ship in Tampa that they could drive (or fly) down to Key West and get onboard the next day.

Is that not doable?

That's where the PVSA kicks in... in effect the ship would be transporting passengers between two US ports... Key West, where your friends boarded and Tampa, where the cruise terminates. The ship would be assessed $300 per violation and just paying the $300 and going ahead with the plan is not an option.

Is that not doable?

Illegal!!!

That's where the PVSA kicks in... in effect the ship would be transporting passengers between two US ports... Key West, where your friends boarded and Tampa, where the cruise terminates. The ship would be assessed $300 per violation and just paying the $300 and going ahead with the plan is not an option.

Illegal!!!

Well so much for that idea;)

Well so much for that idea;)

It's one of the problems with a US based cruise that has a US port stop. However, I believe that San Juan is exempted from the PVSA, so that's one place that could be flown to in the middle of a cruise.

It's one of the problems with a US based cruise that has a US port stop. However, I believe that San Juan is exempted from the PVSA, so that's one place that could be flown to in the middle of a cruise.

I just did a google search and found where someone did board in KW but the cruise line charged them the $300 each. From what I read above that's still illegal??

I just did a google search and found where someone did board in KW but the cruise line charged them the $300 each. From what I read above that's still illegal??

Definintely a violation of the act, but I believe the $300 fine is the only downside.

Probably the boarding went undetected at first or what happens in a lot of times is the passenger won't make it back to the ship before it sails and figures I'll just extend the vacation in Paradise and drive back to FLL. That causes the ship to be in violation of the PVSA and the penalty is assessed the ship and not the passenger. The rule is also written in such a manner that you just can't say "well I'll pay the 300" and just consider that the cost of the ticket. Not like buying indulgences from the village priest back in the old days:D!

From the article it looks like they were able to join the cruise... that' great. I've read that is not the case in many instances, perhaps the airline portion was purchased through the cruise line which could give the cruise line some leeway.

Unfortunately this just happened to us in Feb, we had our worst travel experience ever. We are coming from Europe, so had a flight to arrive into IAH at 7 pm on Saturday, cruise departed from Galveston on Sunday. Due to mechanical issure crew legality and a little weather our flight was cancelled, they put us on the only other possible option arriving into IAH at 1:30 pm. We were a bit late, but since check-in was until four, should have made the ship. Had a private driver standing by. But guess what, our luggage never arrived, however, the computer system said it had so we had to return to baggage claim area while a ramp agent checked. This cost us three days of our cruise, didn't leave the airport until 3 pm, and made it to port at 4:15, they were just locking the doors, and could not let us through even though the ship was still there. We had been in contact with the emergency travel line throughout this process, and they were able to get us approval to board in Roatan, Honduras. There were about ten people on the embarkation list. Guest services came down to greet us with our keys, and we had to stop by and fill out the medical forms, and set up credit card. It turned out okay, since we had a couple of days to sightsee in Houston, and buy some clothes. Our bags never did arrive, we picked them up at the airport on our way home.

sounds like anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Hopefully that was all the bad cruise luck....ever!

That's not true. We did a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale during the Blizzard of 2013, and there were lots of people that got stuck with cancelled flights and met up with the ship in Grand Cayman.

The only issue is if you join the ship at a US port that is different from the disembarkation port.

That's not true. We did a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale during the Blizzard of 2013, and there were lots of people that got stuck with cancelled flights and met up with the ship in Grand Cayman.

The only issue is if you join the ship at a US port that is different from the disembarkation port.

It also depends on whether you have missed the ship due to unforeseen circumstances as you have described or you are asking permission to do it ahead of time.

There was a thread within the past 6 months where someone knew in advance that they were going to miss the initial embarkation port and wanted to fly to the next port (not a US port) and catch up with the ship there. Their request was denied.

One of those situations where it may be better to beg for forgiveness that to ask for permission.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

If the next port is a US port (Key West, for example), and the delay was caused by weather, etc., and the booking was done by the cruise line, then the line will absorb the fine. Also, if it is a large group, they will absorb the fines, just to get the revenue.

What the cruise lines cannot, and will not, do is give permission to board at the next US port in advance. This amounts to a carriage contract that is in violation of the PVSA. Willfully doing this can result in stiffer penalties to the line.

With regards to flying to a foreign port to join late, while this is legal under the PVSA, what has happened in the last year or two, is that CBP has tightened up their requirements. When you check in, and produce your passport or BC/DL, a passenger manifest is made up using this documentation. This is presented to CBP prior to sailing, and then CBP uses this information, during the cruise, to verify identities and do a background check. Many times, people with outstanding warrants are found during this check, and they will be detained upon return to the US. This multi-day screening process by CBP is what allows the very cursory CBP clearance at disembarkation.

Now, if someone joins the ship late, a complete new manifest must be prepared and submitted (with attendant documenting fees to CBP), so this costs the line some money. This also applies to when guests leave the cruise early, even in the case of a deceased passenger. It can also trigger CBP to decide to perform a more thorough screening at disembarkation, with attendant delays to passengers, so they don't want that. NCL had this problem in Tampa, last year, when they had a cruise that was Tampa to Tampa, but was also marketed in Europe as a Belize to Belize (so the Belize boarding passengers were not disembarking in Tampa), which caused CBP to do a full screening of all passengers.

For these reasons, most of the lines are not allowing the advance request for late boarding, or early departure. Delayed boarding due to weather is up to their discretion, and not guaranteed.

We sail out of San Juan every January. And nearly every year there are people who miss the ship day of embarkation and join us at our first port.

I believe San Juan is exempt from the PVSA law, so there would be no penalty even if the people joined the ship in a US port such as St. Thomas or St. Croix.

I believe San Juan is exempt from the PVSA law, so there would be no penalty even if the people joined the ship in a US port such as St. Thomas or St. Croix.

That would be true, Bob, if it is a round trip to San Juan. If it is a one way, and they are boarding in USVI and ending in Galveston, it would not be allowed, unless for unforeseen circumstances as I noted above.

That would be true, Bob, if it is a round trip to San Juan. If it is a one way, and they are boarding in USVI and ending in Galveston, it would not be allowed, unless for unforeseen circumstances as I noted above.

Good point, thanks for the clarification.