What to look for when crossing Gatun Lake and going through Gaillard Cut?

Turtles06

We'll be making our first transit of the Canal in January. I've read a great deal of useful advice on here about the locks, good places to be on the ship, moving around, etc., but not as much about what we can expect to see from the ship as we cross Gatun Lake, nor as we go through the Gaillard Cut. Any thoughts, tips, etc. would be very welcome.

And a huge thanks as always to the Canal experts who are always so helpful on this board!

You will notice lots of ships in Gatun lake. In The Cut, you will be crossing the Continental Divide. You will be seeing the amount of cutting they had to do to achieve this, and the ongoing problems with slides in the area. Rail line cut through the jungle in some areas.

Maybe a bit of reading in one of the many books about the Canal would help you with this?

You will notice lots of ships in Gatun lake. In The Cut, you will be crossing the Continental Divide. You will be seeing the amount of cutting they had to do to achieve this, and the ongoing problems with slides in the area. Rail line cut through the jungle in some areas.

Maybe a bit of reading in one of the many books about the Canal would help you with this?

Thanks Bruce. I've read "The Path Between the Seas" and some other books. I do know about the difficulties creating the Cut and the dredging that has to go on to keep it clear.

What I was more getting at (and perhaps I should have been clearer) is whether you can see anything on shore. Some folks have posted about sailing past "the jungle;" will we really be close enough that we should be watching for various things on shore, etc.?

Thanks!

Once through the first set of locks, (not sure which way you are going) it is kind of like a slow jungle cruise. Some parts are very narrow, others wider and you may pass traffic going the other way.

To get the full experience, you need to be up at dawn to capture the entrance of the canal, and your transit will take all day. The cruise across the lake and the cut are a great time to find a comfy seat or hang out on your balcony and watch the world go by as you relax.

Bring binocs.

Once through the first set of locks, (not sure which way you are going) it is kind of like a slow jungle cruise. Some parts are very narrow, others wider and you may pass traffic going the other way. To get the full experience, you need to be up at dawn to capture the entrance of the canal, and your transit will take all day. The cruise across the lake and the cut are a great time to find a comfy seat or hang out on your balcony and watch the world go by as you relax. Bring binocs.

Appreciate ALL of these great tips and ideas. Very helpful!! Starting to plan and prepare for an early 2017, 15-day cruise doing the Panama Canal, Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing. This would be our first time BOTH for using Princess and to be visiting Columbia, Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico, etc. We will have stops in Aruba, Cartagena/Colombia, Puntarenas/Costa Rica, San Juan del Sur/Nicaragua and Cabo San Lucas/Mexico.

Any key photography tips and secrets for these varied locations. Any good photo ideas to use or avoid, especially for transiting the Panama Canal?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 44,341 views for these postings.

You really don't have to wait until you reach Gaillard Cut to start seeing lots of things that are interesting. I think you are on a northbound transit (Pac-Atl) correct? Then one of the neatest things to catch a glimpse of is sunrise in the Pacific... then you will be able to enjoy the sun setting in the Atlantic later that day. Not many places in the world you can do that without using something that travels at supersonic speeds!

Once you actually start your transit and enter the Canal channel, off to the port are several islands in the Bay, the largest being Taboga. Taboga was once used as a sanitarium for Canal workers to beat the ravages of the yellow fever and malaria mosquitoes. On the starboard side there is a group of islands that are connected to the mainland via a causeway. These islands were known as the "fortified islands"... they were once part of the coastal defense of Canal that included 16" disappearing guns various long range mortars. Commercial development and and nature have covered up much of that.

I'm sure a look to the starboard side you will see the ever present skyline of Panama City... hard to miss... and of course ahead, the Bridge of Americas. After passing the BoA and the harbor of Balboa and before Miraflores Locks be looking off towards the port, this will be about the best chance for you to see the new Cocoli Locks and their 3 large "steps" that will lead to Gaillard Cut.

After clearing Miraflores Locks and crossing Miraflores Lake on the port side is the access channel that connects the Cocoli Locks to Gatun Lake and the Cut. If your timing is right you could see a large neoPanamax ship navigating it towards the Cut. I point that out because it is an interesting sight to be able to see a ship sailing near you at another 30' higher than you.

Pedro Miguel Locks and finally the Gaillard Cut! The most prominent feature ahead of you after leaving Pedro Miguel is the Centennial Bridge. After sailing under the Bridge be on the "lookout" for the Continental Divide, it lies between Contractor's Hill (port) and Gold Hill (starboard). Those two hills have been a continual source of geological headaches for the Canal even when the French were chomping away at them. During the rest of your 8 mile passage through the Cut there are not a lot of specific items to point out, but having the knowledge of what went on there a hundred years ago does give you an appreciation for the accomplishment. Just before you leave the Cut on the starboard side is El Renacer, now the "home" of everyone's favorite dictator, Manuel Noriega.

Shortly after Noriega's digs on the same side will be Chagres Crossing... an old railroad trestle bridge that spans the Chagres River were it empties into the Canal. Just beyond the Crossing is Gamboa which is the home of the Canal's Dredging Division. Good chance of seeing some interesting floating equipment there. One of the tallest floating cranes in the world calls Gamboa home. That would be the Titan which was formerly known as Herman the German. Herman was shipped from Germany after WW2 as a war prize through the Canal and resided in Long Beach until the late 90s when it was acquired by the Canal. The Titan replace another German crane, the Hercules which came from Germany to the Canal in 1914 just before WW1.

Gamboa marks the beginning of your passage across Gatun Lake, not many individual items to point out, only to take in the largely undisturbed scenery... it is pretty much been the same for the last 100 years. In a few parts of the wider channel which follows the path of the Chagres River you will be fairly close to the jungle canopy in some areas, but it is all around you in the distance. On the port side will be your best chance to see oncoming ship traffic.

As you approach Gatun Locks the Gatun Dam and Spillway are on the port side and you may get a glimpse of the new Atlantic Locks of Agua Clara. Your best view of the new Locks will shortly after clearing Gatun Locks from the starboard side. However before you reach that, do be sure to look to the port for a rather insignificant looking "creek" for the lack of a better word... this is about all that remains that is visible of the original French excavation. If you are not looking for it, truly you will miss it.

Then a short sail toward the breakwater with Colon on your right and the former US Army's Fort Sherman. If you take a close look towards Ft. Sherman you will see a fairly tall lighthouse, Toro Point Light. This lighthouse dates back to the French who erected it along with another one on Isla Grande (you won't see that one) in the 1890s.

Your transit is complete... now time to plan the next transit!!!

Edited by BillB48

You really don't have to wait until you reach Gaillard Cut to start seeing lots of things that are interesting. I think you are on a northbound transit (Pac-Atl) correct? ....

Thanks Bill as always. What you wrote is exactly what I was looking for; much appreciated! We are actually on a southbound transit (Miami to LA), so I will switch port for starboard, etc. in your post. But if there's something you did not mention that you might have added for a southbound transit, I hope you will post it.

I do intend to be up very early of course (and hope we might even see the Southern Cross, but I realize that's a long shot)....

Thanks!

Thanks Bill as always. What you wrote is exactly what I was looking for; much appreciated! We are actually on a southbound transit (Miami to LA), so I will switch port for starboard, etc. in your post. But if there's something you did not mention that you might have added for a southbound transit, I hope you will post it.

I do intend to be up very early of course (and hope we might even see the Southern Cross, but I realize that's a long shot)....

Thanks!

Well, I guess I had a 50/50 shot at it... I should have picked up on the way you phrased it... Gatun Lake then the Cut!

I'll think a bit and see if there is anything that would be better seen going south... can't think of anything off the bat. You really won't be able to see Toro Light(house), while you will of course see the light as it is a primary approach signal to Cristobal/Colon it will be dark as you approach the breakwater and probably may not see the structure itself. That time of year the sun doesn't peak out until a little after 6. I just think it is a unique structure and the fact it dates back to the French makes it all the more fascinating. Here's a pic below... just look beyond the clutter at the base.

I sort had forgotten about the Southern Cross and the times I looked at it and really did not think it was special at the time. You should have the opportunity to see it for awhile as you head up the Pacific Coast, perhaps all the way to southern Mexico.

2d6kxw6.jpg

Well, I guess I had a 50/50 shot at it... I should have picked up on the way you phrased it... Gatun Lake then the Cut!

I'll think a bit and see if there is anything that would be better seen going south... can't think of anything off the bat. You really won't be able to see Toro Light(house), while you will of course see the light as it is a primary approach signal to Cristobal/Colon it will be dark as you approach the breakwater and probably may not see the structure itself. That time of year the sun doesn't peak out until a little after 6. I just think it is a unique structure and the fact it dates back to the French makes it all the more fascinating. Here's a pic below... just look beyond the clutter at the base.

I sort had forgotten about the Southern Cross and the times I looked at it and really did not think it was special at the time. You should have the opportunity to see it for awhile as you head up the Pacific Coast, perhaps all the way to southern Mexico.

Thanks Bill for the photo and the additional tips.

I've seen the Southern Cross from the Southern Hemisphere. It wasn't until I read The Path Between the Seas where there was a mention of someone seeing the Southern Cross traveling to Panama that I even realized it could be seen from any part of the Northern Hemisphere; it's just not anything I'd focused on. So I just think it would a be neat thing to be able to spot it on this trip.

Thanks!

Switching from port to starboard and reading bottom to top will work just fine with one exception.... after you clear Gatun Locks for your trip across the Lake, ship traffic coming in the opposite direction will still meet on the port side. Other than that I have not thought of anything else... yet!

Thanks Bill for the photo and the additional tips.

YES! YES!! More great tips, ideas and potentials from Bill. Appreciate this great sharing. Keep it coming!! It's like a textbook manual to help those of us in preparing for our first transiting of the famed Panama Canal.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 158,088 views for this posting.