Accessible Suites, I wonder why?

I wonder why RCI offers nothing above a JS for accessible suites other than one each Crown Loft suite on the Oasis sisters?

There is practially no way to gain access to the Concierge for those in need of accessible cabins unless they are D+ or higher or have BIG money for the Crown Loft suites on Oasis and Allure.

Just curious is all :)

I will say that I visited friends that had a Owners Suite on Radiance and I could have made that work all except for the 6" high lip into the bathroom. Would have needed either a small ramp or some assistance with that. The doors were plenty wide enough for my chair though. It was a beautiful cabin.

Edited by ryano

I wonder why RCI offers nothing above a JS for accessible suites other than one each Crown Loft suite on the Oasis sisters?

There is practially no way to gain access to the Concierge for those in need of accessible cabins unless they are D+ or higher or have BIG money for the Crown Loft suites on Oasis and Allure.

I will say that I visited friends that had a Owners Suite on Radiance and I could have made that work all except for the 6" high lip into the bathroom. Would have needed either a small ramp or some assistance with that. The doors were plenty wide enough for my chair though. It was a beautiful cabin.

6" lip into the bathroom?! Wowsers! Having experience of trying to push my sister's wheelchairs up even the slightest blip in a pavement I can only imagine how bad that would be, especially trying to negotiate it on your own.

It's a v good question though. Disabled guests must cover as many budget groups as "regular" guests surely? Perhaps a question for Mr Goldstein?

As far as the amount of accessible suites...I've no clue about why they only have a certain # up to a certain level. I do know though that some ships have accessible "Amenties" that you can choose from ahead of time from the special needs department. Some of which include a small edge ramp for bathroom doorways, hand holds that attach to the toilet, and step stools.

Thank you for posing such an excellent question. My husband has MS and uses a scooter and walker. We would love to book an accessible suite. We found that the Owner's Suite on Explorer works well for us now due to the size, the large sofa with room to extend legs, and the large bathroom with tub and shower (need only the shower).

This works for us but I am curious as to why most cruise ships do not think that those who need accessible cabins are not also those who can afford it. Interesting and just happy to have found our perfect cabin leaving from NJ so it is a short hop from NYC.

Funny that your post came up. I was just sitting here talking with my son who is in a wheelchair and requires an accessible cabin. I was explaining to him that on our Oasis sailing next Saturday that we are on Deck 12. He asked what else was on deck 12, and I said a lot of suites. He said I wish we could get a suite sometime. I laughed and said that that was most likely not a possibility because they have very few accessible suites and they are way out of our price range. His response... That Sucks! I agree!

I'm Just thankful that he's healthy enough to go, and on such an amazing ship as the Oasis!!

We book accessible cabins when they are available but don't feel a need to book a suite of any kind.

that's not the point.. it should be an option for those who would like that choice.

perhaps it has to do with the feasibility of modifying existing cabins to meet guidelines( remember that technically they are not subject to ADA)

to offer a sort of same idea: it is only a matter of time before the Navy ends the ban on enlisted women in submarines. the only reason they have not done so as yet, and have only been able to assign Officers, is that it was easier to reconfigure a few Officer Wardrooms for females. they cannot do that in enlisted berthing with with the current configuration on existing subs. However future subs will be designed to accommodate a mixed gender crew.

Here is my guess: if they do not have an accessible suite available in your requested category, they are required to give you an accessible suite in the next available category, at the same price. So maybe they want to limit their damages if they run out of accessible suites at a certain price point. GS and above are typically much more expensive.

The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have accessible cabins in all classes of service. PVOs, however, cannot properly impose costs on disabled passengers because vessels lack accessible cabins in some classes of service. If a passenger with a disability wants to travel in a less costly class of service, rather than a more expensive class, but the PVO has chosen to make adequate numbers of accessible cabins available only in more other expensive classes of service, the PVO must make accessible cabins available to passengers with disabilities at no more than the cost of the class of service the passenger requests. Under a nondiscrimination rule, disabled passengers, like all other passengers, should be able to purchase accommodations they can use at a price they are willing to pay.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/07/06/2010-15101/transportation-for-individuals-with-disabilities-passenger-vessels#p-89

• 9 months later...

I agree good question! I also wonder the same thing because we travel with a disabled family member and find it hard to find a two bedroom suite. We don't want connecting rooms, we are always hopeful for separate sleeping areas with shared living area. It seems assumed that the passenger that requires an accessible room is the spouse of the other passenger.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, unfortunately JS is the highest, the other suites are large enough and the necessary items, can be requested through RCCL on your reservation and through special needs, for any stateroom. Sorry forgot the CL.

Edited by woehwdy
left something out

I agree it is unusual that there isn't an accessible option typically above JS and that is a limitation for those who would require an accessible stateroom who would like the size and benefits of a full suite along with Concierge Lounge access.

One possible reason may be that full suites (GS and higher) on all ship categories are limited and low in terms of overall numbers - particularly when compared to JS and lower categories - an typically book up fast.

Perhaps holding a booking open awaiting a possible passenger requirement on a given cruise in a fast moving category such as the full suites may not be economically desirable - even though it can be released at some point from inventory for non accessible need passengers. Really just speculating with this.

Edited by leaveitallbehind