My experience at Share

Cruiserkenn

I dined at Share, on the Ruby, on Easter Sunday, about 8pm.

There were six tables at that time, and it went down to about four tables for most of the evening.* With only a minimal number of tables, the service was excellent.* The staff was very friendly.* One server came to speak to me, personally, to let me know that he knew me from other cruises.* This is always such a nice touch.

The “by the glass”* wine choices were wonderful.* I had an Austrian white wine, and a Spanish red wine.* Both were wines that I have not had before, and it was a pleasure to try these wines.

About the food:* it was OK, edible.* Food is always subjective.* I realize that others may have experienced the food differently.* I am offering my experience with the food, on that Sunday evening.

The charcuterie platter was fine.* Pretty good.* Not the greatest I ever had.* The greatest was on the Emerald’s wine tasting tour, in Valencia,* Spain.* The town of Requena featured sausages as their town specialty, and the charcuterie that was included with the wine tasting was beyond description.* The meats and sausages at Share were just OK, in comparison.* My expectations were high, I realize.

The pate that was included at Share had an odd texture.* I have had pate in Alsace, France.* I have had homemade pate at a farmhouse in the Vosges Mountains, in Alsace, France.* I have never had pate that had such an odd texture, as that served at Share.* It was dark brown and runny.* Enough said.*

They brought the cheese course with the charcuterie.* Instead of having choices, they just brought the French cheese and the Spanish cheese.* No choice was offered.* The cheese consisted of a couple of tiny slices of cheese.* With the French cheese, there were also two tiny slices of French bread.* I found the cheese course to be quite disappointing.* Each day, the buffet had many cheese choices, in unlimited quantities.* I found the cheeses at the buffet to be superior to the cheeses at Share.

I was also disappointed with the tiny serving of bread, at Share.*** The buffet, daily, had wonderful breads, that were superior to the tiny amount of bread served at Share.* (Here, I am describing the tiny serving of bread with the pate.* That was in addition to the tiny serving of French bread with the cheese.)

I chose the tagliatelle for the second course.* Unlike the generous inclusion of crab, that others have described, I found only microscopic pieces of crab.* Very disappointing.* And the pasta itself had a very squishie texture.* I have had pasta in Amalfi, in Rome, and at the homes of Italian Americans born in Italy.* Never have I had pasta with such an unappealing texture.* The daily pasta servings at the buffet were far superior.

We had the duck entrée and the mushroom entrée.* No complaints here.* The duck was tasty and moist, and the mushroom entrée was artfully arranged and tasty.

I had the chocolate dessert.* It was good.* But, ashore in Lahaina, I had scoops of chocolate macadamia nut ice cream, and I found that to be better.* I know that some will say that there is no comparison between the two, but in my subjective opinion, the Hawaiian style ice cream in Lahaina was definitely better than the chocolate dessert at Share.

Others have mentioned the chairs.* I found the chairs to be terrible!* There was a pad on the chair, so that was OK.* But the back consisted of one horizontal, round piece of wood.* It felt like leaning back on a horizontal baseball bat.* Adirondack bats are made from northern white ash, and it felt like leaning back on that.* I couldn’t lean back, during the dinner.

The hard surfaces in Share made for a very noisy environment.* Upon arrival, there was one table that was very noisy.* They were cackling so loudly that they sounded like the Wicked Witch, x4.* I thought I was going to have to leave, they were so loud.* Thankfully, they left after ten minutes.* If they hadn’t left, I would have had to leave.* When we were first discussing the décor, here on Cruise Critic, one person told me that my concerns about noise were just hyperbole.* I think that my experience at Share proved me to be correct, about my concerns with noise there.

Another odd thing:* instead of playing soft dinner music, they were playing 50s and 60s oldies, throughout dinner.* I would prefer soft dinner music.* I am a child of the 50s and 60s, so I appreciate oldies.* I used to listen to this type of music, on my transistor radio, on my paper route.* There is a time and a place for oldies.* I was very disappointed with the music they were playing.* If the point of Share is to attract a younger group of cruisers, how does the playing of 50s and 60s oldies contribute to that?

Finally, I want to say that I looked in on Share, at random times, throughout the 15 day cruise.* Most times, there were only two or three tables of diners.* The most I ever saw were the six tables, on the Sunday evening when I arrived.

Anyway, these are my thoughts.* I realize others will have different opinions.* I understand that food is subjective.* I must add that I was not impressed, overall, with Share.

Thank you for sharing your experience in Share on the Ruby. We tried it on the Ruby in January and unfortunately left rather deflated. I think the concept has potential however Princess and Stone need to do some serious tweaking.

I think the concept has potential however Princess and Stone need to do some serious tweaking.

I agree. Change the menu offerings and portion sizes, install some tolerable seating, add some soft furnishings to absorb sound, do....something to the lighting and I'm there!

Rating food is highly subjective. However, the reviews of SHARE have mostly been negative.

Surely Princess corporate researched this restaurant thoroughly? Some action needs to be taken to save this venture.

Rating food is highly subjective. However, the reviews of SHARE have mostly been negative.

Surely Princess corporate researched this restaurant thoroughly? Some action needs to be taken to save this venture.

Sorry, emmak, but I'm inclined to disagree. There have been some very positive reviews of Share here on Cruise Critic. I agree that there have been negative reviews. There have been some "Pretty much, meh" neutral reviews. However, the broad brush statement that most of the reviews of Share have been negative is just not true.

Appreciate your honest review, Cruisin'Rabbit. I agree that some serious 'tweeking' might be necessary to save this expensive venture, so that it returns a reasonable profit for Princess.

That said, one hears that just 5% of cruisers on any sailing subscribe to this website,so I'm puzzled as to why the other 95% aren't prepared to give Share a go.

Could it be that there is a higher cover charge or the fact that the restaurant in full view of all who pass by? When just a few tables are occupied, most would err on the side of caution.

Sorry, emmak, but I'm inclined to disagree. There have been some very positive reviews of Share here on Cruise Critic. I agree that there have been negative reviews. There have been some "Pretty much, meh" neutral reviews. However, the broad brush statement that most of the reviews of Share have been negative is just not true.

Count me in on the "Pretty much, meh" crowd.

Speaking solely about the food -- As for me, that's the biggest factor in my enjoyment of a dining experience.

The OP makes good observations/points, that I concur with. I would be hard pressed to state that the experience was worth (almost)$80 per couple more than dining in the MDR...or even the selections available at other complimentary venues available on the ship.

At that price point, I would expect to feel nothing less than satisfied with the entire experience. However, we both left feeling underwhelmed.

Once was enough. We won't be back.

Many thanks Cruisin'Rabbit

DW and I are well prepared to try any new Princess venture. I can see a potential seating problem for us, as DW is wheelchair dependant but can transfer OK to a normal size chair. Also we like our own company at meal times and always request a table for 2. From the photos we have seen of Share this would preclude us from that restaurant. Portion size doesn't worry us but overall ambiance has to be good. I guess Share is for the much younger set.

Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life

At last,I've found you.:)

Speaking solely about the food -- As for me, that's the biggest factor in my enjoyment of a dining experience.

The OP makes good observations/points, that I concur with. I would be hard pressed to state that the experience was worth (almost)$80 per couple more than dining in the MDR...or even the selections available at other complimentary venues available on the ship.

At that price point, I would expect to feel nothing less than satisfied with the entire experience. However, we both left feeling underwhelmed.

We experienced SHARE a few weeks ago on the Emerald. I also echo the OP's comments. The portions were small and while others may find small portions satisfactory, others do not. You can order more to "share" but there are additional charges. Adding those charges to the $78.00 per couple initial charge, your cost could come close to if not exceed $100.00 for average food. IMHO.

Perhaps the price point and portion control are keeping customers away. Not sure what the contractual agreement with Stone is but the Coral was supposed change Sabatinis to Share at its January dry dock. That did not happen. Sabatinis remained in tact.

Many thanks Cruisin'Rabbit

DW and I are well prepared to try any new Princess venture. I can see a potential seating problem for us, as DW is wheelchair dependant but can transfer OK to a normal size chair. Also we like our own company at meal times and always request a table for 2. From the photos we have seen of Share this would preclude us from that restaurant. Portion size doesn't worry us but overall ambiance has to be good. I guess Share is for the much younger set.

Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life

At last,I've found you.:)

Dudette has MS and travels in a wheelchair she also can transfer to normal chair but prefers to stay in her wheelchair when cruising. On the Ruby the Share venue definitely has tables for two and accommodating a person in a wheelchair is not a problem.

The $80 per couple would stick in my craw for a very long time for a venue that is suppose to be upscale and palatable. I would much rather get a nice steak and lobster meal in the steakhouse than to endure a disappointing meal. The review should open up some eyes, it was what I suspected.

Dudette has MS and travels in a wheelchair she also can transfer to normal chair but prefers to stay in her wheelchair when cruising. On the Ruby the Share venue definitely has tables for two and accommodating a person in a wheelchair is not a problem.

Many thanks. We will look again and possibly give it a try.:)

We did not dine at SHARE, but we did go to the Open House held on the Emerald last month.

They laid out all the dishes from appetizers to desserts and described them in detail. We were not inspired enough to try them out. The decor appeared 'stark' and I felt would be noisy if the room was full. We never went back up that way to see how they were doing with diners. I think we'll stick with the Crown Grill and Sabatini's (whenever we're on a ship with her).

36a486268d5544eda8df71c73877c50c.jpg619c23e47ce3b2930202e50eae286014.jpgfe56ef890a98be681267829dbc27f9b9.jpgbeada1c5b08d2f49f13fdd34c569eb3e.jpgb22553401bf122d454b2bb8769ef6c54.jpge9408ae600df6ffa00207f62a5691b92.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk