If you are thinking about ordering a RCCL Celebration Cake on-line......

muladybug

We just got off the Serenade of the Seas where our party celebrated a milestone birthday. We had pre-ordered a gorgeous birthday cake thru Royal Caribbean's 'Royal Gifts' to be presented at our table. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when the beautifully decorated, fondant wrapped chocolate cake I ordered on-line was substituted by an ordinary chocolate cake that looked to be decorated by a 12 year old. I did mention this to the head waiter at the time and spoke with post guest relations when I came home. (they are looking into the matter and I am supposed to get a refund) But it was all about presentation and this was a big dud. Next time I'll just have them stick a candle in one of their amazing nightly desserts. :D

THIS IS NOT A RANT! Just a precaution to others that what is shown on the website may not be what is actually served. The ship had orders to present a chocolate birthday cake. I fault 'Royal Gifts' for misleading. The chocolate cake was still delicious. Just not what I had ordered and expected. I wonder whether this just may be a one-time mistake or the norm.

Here is what we ordered and here is what we got:

Capture3333_zpso7pbiifu.gifCapture1_zps5aqp4qsa.gif

GEDC2022_zps8egjnlw7.jpg

Thanks for the head's up. we are celebrating our 25th anniversary on our next cruise. I'll have to take this into consideration. We'll be on a Baltic Cruise. I wonder If I find a bakery in one of the ports and purchase a cake, would the ship security let me bring it on board?

What if it's a "Rum" cake ;p

dp

The advertised cake states that it comes with a chocolate transfer sheet (that is the decorated chocolate you see around the outside). My guess is that they usually come pre-made and are stored frozen and the ship had either run out or forgotten to order one for you. They should have refunded you immediately, rather than substitute with whatever that is.

Could not read the fine print, but I would expect there to be some corporate wiggle language about the appearance varying.

Here is the link, Clarea. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/culinary/celebration-cake/ I don't see a clause where it says 'or something similar'.

I also assumed the cake I ordered would be like ibjen commented. Delivered to the ship pre-made and frozen from an affiliated specialty onshore company. It doesn't look like something they would/could make on the ship.

I also forgot to mention that I ordered the cake well in advance.

LOL, srlucado on the online dating profile pic! How true.

Here is the link, Clarea. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/culinary/celebration-cake/ I don't see a clause where it says 'or something similar'.

I also assumed the cake I ordered would be like ibjen commented. Delivered to the ship pre-made and frozen from an affiliated specialty onshore company. It doesn't look like something they would/could make on the ship.

I also forgot to mention that I ordered the cake well in advance.

LOL, srlucado on the online dating profile pic! How true.

Yep, I don't see any wiggle words either.

Did your cake have the "decorative sheet made of White Chocolate"?

OMG lol. That is the saddest cake I have ever seen. You should have flipped the table. JK Well, maybe I'm not. Sorry about the disappointment but I hope you got a lot of laughs out of that pitiful excuse for a cake. The cakes in the WJ are so much nicer than that. Even if they forgot, why not grab one of those and scrawl like a drunken person on that cake?

Yep, I don't see any wiggle words either.

Did your cake have the "decorative sheet made of White Chocolate"?

No, it was frosted - not fondant covered as pictured.

There are 4 options: chocolate cake/chocolate fondant or

white cake/chocolate fondant, or the reverse.

I chose chocolate/chocolate. I would have NEVER purchased what we actually received. It was all about the wow factor.

No, it was frosted - not fondant covered as pictured.

There are 4 options: chocolate cake/chocolate fondant or

white cake/chocolate fondant, or the reverse.

I chose chocolate/chocolate. I would have NEVER purchased what we actually received. It was all about the wow factor.

I think the very least they should do for you is a full refund.

At first they offered 1/2 refund. It wasn't about getting a refund, it was about informing them that something is amiss on the website/ship communication and needed to be corrected. I don't want anyone else to experience the disappointment I had. I made sure I got an email address to send RCCL photos of what I actually got. No one was the wiser when the cake was brought out to the birthday girl....unfortunately, to reflect on me, it looked like a cheap-o cake that I ordered.

I see this differently. Laugh this up. This is one of the memories that you will be laughing about for years to come. I agree you are entitled to a refund for the bait and switch, but this will be a great memory. The cake tasted good and celebrations are about being surrounded by those you love, not what the cake looked like.

Ha ! This happened on Liberty of the seas to us. It was a chocolate cake that said Happy Birthday and the name in poor writing. We didn't even get strawberries on ours. It was for our grandsons first birthday. Huge waste of money, lesson learned. I didn't say anything but it was a certainly not what I thought I was getting. Maybe if you paid $7.95 for it but $25.... It was a joke.

Thanks for the head's up. we are celebrating our 25th anniversary on our next cruise. I'll have to take this into consideration. We'll be on a Baltic Cruise. I wonder If I find a bakery in one of the ports and purchase a cake, would the ship security let me bring it on board?

What if it's a "Rum" cake ;p

dp

On Caribbean cruises, I've brought rum cakes on board without an issue. Sadly, all the actual rum went to the cargo hold for later.