Please post your planned or completed itinerary

judyf

This post was started in 2008; I really don't think the original poster cares anymore. I wish Cruise Critic would start locking down old posts.

What!? It does not matter when it was started. Its still very relevant and interesting. It has given me some great ideas for my trip Aug.2015 :)

• 3 weeks later...

Alaskan CruiseTour

August 23 – September 6, 2014

Day 1: Cleveland to Chicago, Chicago to Anchorage, Anchorage to Fairbanks

Picked up rental car at airport.

-Dinner at Pump House in Fairbanks.

Stayed at Best Western Chena River Lodge.

Day 2: Drove around Fairbanks, north of town, went to

-Morris Thomas Cultural Center,101 Dunkel Street, Fairbanks, AK Ph: 907-459-3700, 8am-9pm Free

-Museum of the North at the University of Alaska. $12.00

-Santa Claus House, North Pole, AK http://www.santaclaushouse.com/

-Ate at Ivory Jack’s Restaurant, north of Fairbanks

Day 3: Drove to Chena Hot Springs, took a little hike, went to

-The Great Alaskan Bowl Company, 4630 Old Airport Way, Fairbanks, AK 99701,10-6 M-F Sunday 12-5pm

Returned our rental, took shuttle to Pike’s Waterfront Lodge where we met our tour group.

Ate dinner at Pike’s

Day 4: Fairbanks City Tour, Gold Dredge 8. Cruise down the Chena River.

Lunch at Soapy Smith’s Pioneer Restaurant, 543 2nd Ave., Fairbanks

Dinner at Pike’s Restaurant

Day 5: Train to Denali

Jeff King’s Husky Homestead Tour

Overnight Denali Park Village near Denali National Park

Day 6: Tundra Wilderness Tour

Overnight at Denali Park Village…did laundry…it was free!

Day 7: Bus to Anchorage, then on to Seward where we go on board The Radiance of the Seas.

Day 8: Hubbard Glacier

Day 9: Juneau Taku Taxi Tour with 2 other couples

Era Helicopters Taku Glacier Adventure (cancelled)

Mt. Roberts Tram

Day 10: Green Jeep Ride to Emerald Lake – 907-983-3512

Ate at the Bistro in Carcrosse

Day 11:Misty Bay Whale Watching with one other couple

Walked around Hoonah

Day 12: Misty Fjord Tour Flightseeing with Seawind Aviation

Walked around Ketchikan

Day 13: Sea day

Day 14: Arrive at Vancouver – took taxi to airport and picked up rental car. Drove to Seattle, WA

Chihuly Garden and Glass, 305 Harrison St., Seattle WA 11am-7pm $19.00

Pike’s Place Market, 1st Ave and Pike St., Seattle, WA 10am-6pm

Rode the Monorail

Stayed at Doubletree by Hilton at SEA-TAC

Day 15: Seattle to Chicago Chicago to Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...
Alaskan CruiseTour

August 23 – September 6, 2014

Day 1: Cleveland to Chicago, Chicago to Anchorage, Anchorage to Fairbanks

Picked up rental car at airport.

-Dinner at Pump House in Fairbanks.

Stayed at Best Western Chena River Lodge.

Day 2: Drove around Fairbanks, north of town, went to

-Morris Thomas Cultural Center,101 Dunkel Street, Fairbanks, AK Ph: 907-459-3700, 8am-9pm Free

-Museum of the North at the University of Alaska. $12.00

-Santa Claus House, North Pole, AK http://www.santaclaushouse.com/

-Ate at Ivory Jack’s Restaurant, north of Fairbanks

Day 3: Drove to Chena Hot Springs, took a little hike, went to

-The Great Alaskan Bowl Company, 4630 Old Airport Way, Fairbanks, AK 99701,10-6 M-F Sunday 12-5pm

Returned our rental, took shuttle to Pike’s Waterfront Lodge where we met our tour group.

Ate dinner at Pike’s

Day 4: Fairbanks City Tour, Gold Dredge 8. Cruise down the Chena River.

Lunch at Soapy Smith’s Pioneer Restaurant, 543 2nd Ave., Fairbanks

Dinner at Pike’s Restaurant

Day 5: Train to Denali

Jeff King’s Husky Homestead Tour

Overnight Denali Park Village near Denali National Park

Day 6: Tundra Wilderness Tour

Overnight at Denali Park Village…did laundry…it was free!

Day 7: Bus to Anchorage, then on to Seward where we go on board The Radiance of the Seas.

Day 8: Hubbard Glacier

Day 9: Juneau Taku Taxi Tour with 2 other couples

Era Helicopters Taku Glacier Adventure (cancelled)

Mt. Roberts Tram

Day 10: Green Jeep Ride to Emerald Lake – 907-983-3512

Ate at the Bistro in Carcrosse

Day 11:Misty Bay Whale Watching with one other couple

Walked around Hoonah

Day 12: Misty Fjord Tour Flightseeing with Seawind Aviation

Walked around Ketchikan

Day 13: Sea day

Day 14: Arrive at Vancouver – took taxi to airport and picked up rental car. Drove to Seattle, WA

Chihuly Garden and Glass, 305 Harrison St., Seattle WA 11am-7pm $19.00

Pike’s Place Market, 1st Ave and Pike St., Seattle, WA 10am-6pm

Rode the Monorail

Stayed at Doubletree by Hilton at SEA-TAC

Day 15: Seattle to Chicago Chicago to Cleveland

How much was car rental from Vancouver to Seattle ? We are a family of 4 and I'm planning on renting a full size car. Trying to get an idea as to how much it's going to cost. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

I want to give kudos to the person that started this thread and all who have participated!

This will be our first trip to Alaska, and I was simply overwhelmed with all the choices. Then I found this thread. I printed off every post and went thru them making notes on a sheet for each of my ports. That gave me a base to start asking questions to know what would interest my group the most. I am still in the asking question mode, but have narrowed it down considerably.

Thank you again, and when I finish our itinerary, I will definitely come back here to post it in case it might help some other poor overwhelmed soul! :D:D

Below is the itinerary for the trip we did in late May/Early June 2014. I remember how lost I was when I started my planning so hopefully this will be of help to someone!! Now that our trip is over, I don’t think there is anything I would have done differently so careful planning does pay off!

I also did a very long review with photos that might also be useful for someone in the planning stages. The review has slowly slipped to the back pages so if you are interested, here is the link: Coral Princess Photo Review

Alaska Cruise/Land Tour Itinerary

Day 1 –

Spent night in Minneapolis with family

Day 2 –

SW Airlines from MSP to Phoenix (2:05 to 3:20)

SW Airlines from Phoenix to Seattle (4:35 to 7:30)

Free shuttle to SUPER 8 SEATAC

3100 S 192nd Street, Interstate 5 at Exit 152, Seattle, WA 98188

Day 3 –

Free breakfast at hotel

Flat Rate Taxi to Train Station at 6 am - Eastside for Hire (206-242-6200)

Amtrak Cascades Train from Seattle to Vancouver (7:40 am to 11:40 am)

Taxi to Best Western Plus Downtown Vancouver (604/669-9888)

718 Drake St., Vancouver, BC V6Z2W6

Walked around False Creek area near hotel

Day 4 –

Used free bikes from hotel to ride around Stanley Park in morning

Afternoon - Walked to False Creek Ferry & went to Granville Island

Toured public market & watched street entertainers

Friends arrived at hotel

Day 5 –

Breakfast at Tim Horton’s near hotel

Took hotel shuttle to Canada Place to board Coral Princess

Day 6 –

Sea day

Day 7 –

Ketchikan (6:30 am to 2:00 pm)

Misty Fjords Flightseeing with Family Air Tours (907-247-1305 or 800-380-1305)

Day 8 –

Juneau (8:00 am to 9:00 pm)

Whale Watching Tour with Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska (907-209-8686 or 907-209-7288)

Got dropped off Mendenhall Glacier and met up with friends with rental car (Juneau Car Rental) for hiking at glacier; Shrine of St. Therese, other sites around Juneau

Day 9 –

Skagway (7:00 am to 8:30 pm)

Rented car from Avis with friends and drove White Pass to Emerald Lake

Day 10 –

Glacier Bay scenic cruising

Day 11 –

College Fjord scenic cruising

Day 12 –

Disembark in Whittier

Shuttle to Anchorage - Anchorage Tours & Transfers (907) 360-5501 or (800) 491-1916;

Picked up Budget Rental Car at Anchorage Airport (10:00 am)

Stopped at Walmart for snacks & lunch

Drove to Seward with stop at Wildlife Conservation Center, (Had planned to also stop at Alyeska Tram, Portgage Glacier & possibly Crow Creek Mine, but skipped due to rain.)

Dinner at Apollo Restaurant

Spent night at Sunshine House B & B, 228 6th Ave, Seward, AK 99611

(907) 224-5114

Day 13 –

Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise, included salmon & prime rib buffet at Fox Island (10 am to 6:30 pm)

1-877-777-4051

Second night at Sunshine House B & B

Day 14 –

Toured SeaLife Center in Seward

Hiked at Exit Glacier

Drove back to Anchorage with stops at Beluga Point, Potter’s Marsh, etc.

Alaska Airlines Anchorage to Seattle (12:35 am to 4:52 am)

Alaska Airlines #36 Seattle to Minneapolis (6:50 am to 11:53 am)

Day 15 –

Drive home from Minneapolis

What!? It does not matter when it was started. Its still very relevant and interesting. It has given me some great ideas for my trip Aug.2015 :)

Totally agree. We are also going in 2015 and I find this to be VERY helpful. Glad it is still open! :)

Totally agree - LOVE this thread!

And thanks Arymay and others who have come back AFTERWARDS to report, which is great as this gives advice on what was good and what wasn't.

We are going to Alaska in late May 2015 and Cruisecritic, including this thread, is invaluable for planning! :)

First of all let me tell you I’m a consummate planner – a bit compulsive obsessive about it I guess, and our trip was 18 months in the planning. “Our” is DH and me in the 50-60 age range. We travelled from Long Island, New York and we preceded our southbound cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Radiance Of The Seas (out of Seward) with 5 nights self-guided tour (rental car) along the Seward and Glenn Highways . All in all, we were in Alaska for the last two weeks of August.

I purchased several travel books and read them, studied maps, bought coupon books and analyzed potential savings; I studied The Milepost for hours; I spent many, many, many hours surfing the web; I pestered tour operators via email and phone for information; I spent countless hours reading this Alaska board; and DH spent 18 months patiently listening to me ramble on about Alaska and all the information I’d discovered. It was this collective research that helped us plan every aspect of our trip. We started our Alaskan adventure with no expectations regarding weather or wildlife viewings, but knowing we would have a trip of a lifetime. And we did. It was an absolutely perfect 12 day land/cruise vacation!

Here’s a list of all the things we did. I’ll be glad to answer all and any questions. All our experiences were amazing … did I mention our trip was amazing?

What We Did:

• Turnagain Arm

• Alyeska Tram

• Winner Creek Trail - Girdwood

• Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

• Major Marine Prince William Sound Glacier Cruise

• Alpine Air Alaska/Seavey’s Ididaride Dog Sledding Adventure (MAJOR HIGHLIGHT OF OUR TRIP)

• Glenn Highway

• Palmer Musk Ox Farm (the only activity not in the “amazing” category, but it made for a nice stop)

• Independence Mine/Hatcher Pass

• Sheep Mountain Lodge

• Matanuska Glacier Hike with MICA Guides

• Alaska Railroad – Dome Star – Anchorage to Seward

• Alaska Heritage Tours Kenai Fjords National Park Tour (6 hours)

• Alaska Sea Life Center (Marine Mammal Encounter)

• Hubbard Glacier (cruising)

• Taku Lodge Flight and Feast (Juneau) (A DEFINITE HIGHLIGHT)

• Chilkoot Charters Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion (Skagway)

• Whale Watching with Glacier Wind (Icy Straight Point)

• Flightseeing to Traitors Cove to see bears (Ketchikan) (MAJOR HIGHLIGHT OF OUR TRIP)

• Creek Street, salmon run and spawning area (Ketchikan)

• Quick Shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle

Amazing Eats: (and Alaskan Ambers)

• Chair 5 (Girdwood)

• Double Musky Inn ( Girdwood) (FANTASTIC FOOD!)

• Varley’s Swiftwater Café (Whittier) (FISH AND CHIPS)

• Sheep Mountain Lodge (Glenn Hwy)

• Long Rifle Lodge (Matanuska) (GREAT VIEW)

• Glacier Brewhouse (Anchorage) (GOOD FOOD, BUT CROWDED)

• Alaska Railroad - breakfast

• Red Dog Saloon (Juneau)

• Tracey’s Crab Shack (Juneau) (AMAZING!)

• Red Onion Saloon (Skagway)

• The Office (Icy Straight Point) (DUNGEONESS CRAB!)

• Sharps Roasthouse (Seattle) (BEST TOMATO SOUP EVER!!!)

What We Wanted To Do And Didn’t:

• Explore more of Anchorage (no time). The Visitor Center really is lovely!

• Era Heli Glacier Adventure (Juneau). DH had a head cold and needed a timeout. Era let us cancel with no penalty despite their 48 hr cancellation policy. We had Mendenhall planned as an alternate but DH wasn’t up to that either.

• Exit Glacier (Seward). We’d had a full morning in Seward with a lot of walking and planned to go to Exit Glacier after boarding the ship, but we were a bit tired and the beckon of the cabin balcony was too great to resist!

Regrets:

• Only having two weeks (but DH can’t do more)

• Not being more familiar with my new camera purchased especially for the trip. Photographing winter birds and summer flowers in our back yard didn’t prepare me for the rain, mist, fog, rocky boats, etc. I had one of those “rain-sleeves”, but using it was a challenge too!

• Not going to Denali; and not going to Talkeetna for Mt. McKinley flightseeing. I wanted 2 nights minimum in Denali and wanted 1 night in Talkeetna (for increased opportunity in event of flight cancellation). I carefully considered my priorities, and the precious few land days/nights we had, and decided to save Denali and Talkeetna for a future trip when we’d have more time. It was a tough and painful decision that I went back and forth on a lot.

Souvenirs:

Purchased only ‘Made In Alaska’ souvenirs. Didn’t go shopping per se; didn’t bargain hunt; just quickly picked up a few relatively small things when we saw them. Silt soaps, fudge, bear claws, scrimshaw knives, Tlingit salves, Candle Factory candles, moose antler ulu knives … that kind of thing.

Want to hear a funny story about the knives? Despite the million and one warnings EVERYWHERE, throughout the entire trip, that you MUST put ulus in your checked baggage as you can’t get through security at the airport with them in your carryon, yours truly had them in the carry on luggage ---- and security discovered them! OMG what a panic that was! Thankfully we were in Seattle. There is, and what a blessing there is (or we would have had to surrender the scrimshaw knives), a convenient little mailing service drop-box close to the security area where you can arrange to have small illegal carry-on items - LIKE KNIVES - mailed to you. Whew!

Weather and Clothing:

We were very lucky in respect to weather. For the most part the weather was lovely, sunny and fairly warm. But the weather can, and often does, change hour-by-hour. It rained unfortunately the whole time we were on either small boats (PWS and Kenai Fjords Nat Park) or on trains (Alaska RR and White Pass and Yukon RR), but as we dressed as advised, in layers with waterproofed outer layers, and wore waterproof hiking shoes and carried waterproofed day packs, we weren’t uncomfortable, cold, wet, damp, or chilled in any way – not for a single moment. We enjoyed all our activities unaffected by the weather. We took our rain-pants and wore them! We even wore our long johns (light hats and light gloves) on glacier days! In contrast, we got rather warm when it was sunny and were glad to have short-sleeved t-shirts as our base layer.

NEXT TIME: We’re not sure yet, but maybe we’ll fly into Fairbanks next time and do a land-only trip. We’ll definitely be putting Denali, Mt. McKinley flightseeing, and Homer/Katmai our top of our list of priorities.

The information that’s so freely shared on this Alaska board is wonderful, and I’m 100% certain that if I hadn’t been on the receiving end of that information, our trip wouldn’t have been nearly so wonderful. I’m so grateful to all you … thanks again EVERYONE!

Alma

I too am a complete OCD planner - we have been to Alaska once - on a 7 day cruise - and we felt it was a just a taste and need to go back - so here I am planning a 2015 trip and scouring the boards again - this thread is amazing - please don't close it! I have printed everything off that people mentioned as I hope to discovery new adventures. It is going to be a little more challenging this time as we had 5 in our group last time - and it looks like it will be 6-7 this time around - yikes. I will continue to read this thread as more people post - thanks everyone!

I have the structure of our trip but not the daily activities yet. All of the bookings so far are flexible and can be cancelled or refunded. When final payment time comes I want to be sure that we can add the planned 5 days after the cruise for interior tour.

June 9-Depart Orlando, currently using Princess EZ air flexible fares. Arrive Vancouver 8 pm, and have reservation at Radisson Airport. Since we arrive late , dinner and drinks at hotel and then bed. If an earlier arrival becomes available at better price, I have back up reservation at Best Western Chateau Granville so we can tour Vancouver in the afternoon/evening. Both booked through Hotels dot com.

June 10--Rail line to Canada Place, drop bags and do some touring, pick up wine/drinks and snacks for room. Board ship by 2 pm and start enjoying our mini-suite, D726 last port side cabin

6/10--6/17---Cruising, do not have any port plans yet. Top of list is Skagway train, and Misty Fjords flight tour or boat tour.

6/17--arrive Whittier, take bus transfer to airport to get rental car. Booked Hertz with coupon code found on line, $42/day for full size (Chev Impala or similar), fully cancellable.

Depart Anchorage north to Denali, stopping at Walmart or other store for supplies, small cooler/drinks/snacks/sandwich items/breakfast items. 3 nights at Carlo Creek Cabins which is south of park. DH wanted a cabin with private bathroom, so booked the $120/night small cabin. Did have to pay this in full to get 5% discount, but can cancel with small fee. Found this from Denali Chamber of Commerce site. Since we will arrive later, dinner at restaurant near Carlo Creek, Creekside or The Perch.

6/18--Exploring: visit access center, Husky homestead tour, maybe a rafting tour in afternoon. Would like to have drinks on the deck at Princess Lodge since I can't afford to stay there even if there were openings!

6/19--Denali Park bus to Wonder Lake, then maybe visit Healy or a little walk around Carlo Creek property, they have 13 acres along the creek.

6/20--Depart Denali, and take our time driving stopping at Talkeetna for coffee and pastry, and anywhere else we want on the way back to Anchorage. Depending on traffic and weather will try to drive Turnagain Arm, need to figure out where to overnight--Girdwood or Anchorage??? Would like to see Wildlife Center

6/21--Last day, more free form touring, Wildlife center, Alyeska Tram ride, Anchorage museum? Right now, flight scheduled to depart 9 PM so have a good amount of time.

6/22--arrive home, interestingly we got better price on airfare and better flight schedule by leaving from Orlando but returning to Tampa. This let me get one stop flights on both ways. We are lucky that Tampa is only 20 minutes farther in the other direction so we can take advantage of different schedules and prices from either.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest staying at Girdwood as you will pass through Anchorage, see what you like and drive the short distance further to stay at girdwood. Can cruise portage glacier,one hr or several hr tours available. Also old mining town to vs. and lots of other areas nearby to see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

The 7-day cruise is on the Pacific Princess, northbound from Vancouver to Whittier (July 13-20). Followed by an 8-day land tour (July 20-28). I added on a pre-cruise stay in Vancouver for 3 days (which was one of the add-on options offered by Princess).

Day 1 (Fri, July 10): Fly from home (Newark Liberty Airport, NJ) to Vancouver (YVR).

Day 2 (Sat, July 11): 11-hour tour to Whistler, offered by Landsea Tours & Adventures (http://vancouvertours.com), including an excursion at Superfly Ziplines.

Day 3 (Sun, July 12): Tour of Victoria, BC, including Butchart Gardens. This is part of the Princess package for the Vancouver add-on.

Day 4 (Mon, July 13): Transport from Victoria to cruise ship dock in Vancouver. Ship departure at 4pm.

Day 5 (Tues, July 14): At sea, cruising through the Inside Passage.

Day 6 (Wed, July 15): Port stop in Ketchikan (7am-2pm). Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Island Wings (9-11am). I initially inquired about the Anan Creek Bear Viewing tour with Island Wings, but they informed me that these are booked 2 years in advance due to the limited number of permits. Although I was aware of other bear tours at Anan, I didn’t look further into them. Remainder of port time: walking around downtown Ketchikan.

Day 7 (Thurs, July 16): Port stop in Juneau (8am-9pm). “Whale Watching (cruise) and Mendenhall Glacier (trail walking) Photo Safari” (10am-3pm). (I booked this through Princess; I believe it is run by Gastineau Guiding). Remainder of port activities TBD. I was considering a helicopter tour with glacier landing (Coastal or Temsco) but I don’t think the time will work out. Might check out the Mt. Roberts tramway if the weather is clear, or else just walk around downtown Juneau or on the trails.

Day 8 (Fri (July 17): Port stop in Skagway (7am-8:30pm). “Bennett Scenic Journey” with Chilkoot Charters (7:30am-3:30pm). May spend remaining time walking around town.

Day 9 (Sat, July 18): Scenic cruising through Glacier Bay (6am-3pm).

Day 10 (Sun, July 19): Scenic cruising through College Fjord (6pm-8:30pm).

Day 11 (Mon, July 20): Disembarkation in Whittier. Motorcoach to Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge (10am-12:30pm). “Kenai River Float” excursion (5:15-8:15pm). Stay for 2 nights.

Day 12 (Tues, July 21): Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise (9am-7pm).

Day 13 (Wed, July 22): Motorcoach to Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge (9am-6pm). Stay for 2 nights.

Day 14 (Thurs, July 23): “Kennicott & Wrangell-St. Elias Flightseeing Tour” (7:45am-6:30pm), including a walking tour of the town of McCarthy and the Kennicott copper mine.

Day 15 (Fri, July 24): Motorcoach to Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge (8am-5pm). Maybe do the “Husky Homestead Tour” (7-9:30pm). Stay for 2 nights.

Day 16 (Sat, July 25): Denali Park tour using park shuttle bus to Wonder Lake (about 7am till late). The Tundra Wilderness Tour is included as part of the Princess package, but I will opt out of the TWT (and receive credit back) and purchase the Wonder Lake bus tickets.

Day 17 (Sun, July 26): Mt. McKinley Glacier Landing Tour (7:30-10am). Bus transport to train station. Train to Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge (4-8pm). Stay for 2 nights.

Day 18 (Mon, July 27): Gold Dredge 8 Tour and Riverboat Discovery Cruise (10am-5:30pm). These are part of the Princess package.

Day 19 (Tues, July 28): Return home.

A huge "Thank You" to everyone on Cruise Critic whose comments have helped me to plan this trip!

Saturday, July 11, 2015 Fairbanks Hampton Inn & Suites Fairbanks

Sunday, July 12, 2015 Fairbanks Hampton Inn & Suites Fairbanks Chena Hot Springs & Ice Museum and North Pole

Monday, July 13, 2015 Fairbanks Cruisetour Museum of the North and Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 Fairbanks Cruisetour GOLD DREDGE 8 and RIVERBOAT DISCOVERY TOUR

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 Denali Cruisetour Railroad to Denali, Cabin Night Dinner Theater

Thursday, July 16, 2015 Denali Cruisetour TUNDRA WILDERNESS TOUR - AM

Friday, July 17, 2015 SEWARD, ALASKA

Saturday, July 18, 2015 HUBBARD GLACIER

Sunday, July 19, 2015 JUNEAU, ALASKA Taku Lodge Feast & 5 Glacier Seaplane - JU04n 12:30 pm

Monday, July 20, 2015 SKAGWAY, ALASKA Chilkoot Charters - Yukon Territory 8:15 AM

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA Whale Watch (Glacier Winds or Misty Bay Lodge) 10:45 am

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 KETCHIKAN, ALASKA Anan Creek Bear Viewing with Island Wings 10:00 am

Thursday, July 23, 2015 INSIDE PASSAGE (CRUISING)

Friday, July 24, 2015 VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA

One thing I thought I would add to my itinerary was info on when I booked and what if any were the deposits. As a newbie to Alaska I read many stories here on CC of how quickly excursions fill up. I am so glad I did and hope this info is useful to others.

We booked cruise tour 4B on RCL Radiance of the Seas on March 13, 2014 using a travel agent we have used for our previous cruises. We reserved 2 connecting inside cabins on deck 8. The sail date is July 17, 2015. Our party is Myself, DW, DS (17) and DD (16).

We were notified of the RCL BOGO promotion by our TA on May 2nd, 2014. She had already rebooked us with an $810 per cabin savings.

We contacted Island Wings via email regarding the possibility of booking Anan Creek Bear Viewing on May 3rd, 2014. I received a reply on May 5th. I put a hold for the 4 of us with Island Wings May 11. On July 14th someone on our roll call contacted them and they were told Island Wings had already had all 10 of their anticipated permits booked for the July 22, 2015 date. Received confirmation from Island Wings that they were able to get our permits on October 25 (permits are awarded October 15). They will contact me in January for a deposit.

I contacted Glacier Winds August 3rd, 2014 regarding Whale Watching on July 21, 2015. I received a response the same day from them. I placed a hold with them that day. They take deposits after the current cruise season ends. On September 20th they contacted me and I made a $200 deposit with them over the phone.

I booked with RCL for the Taku Lodge Feast on August 4th for the 12:30 time slot. The main reason I did this was for the points on my United Visa. This pushed me over the amount I needed to book our 4 one way flights to Fairbanks and the return from Vancouver. We also wanted the 12:30 booking. This required us to pay in full.

I contacted Chilkoot Charters about the Yukon Territory by Bus excursion in early August. They said they take reservations starting October 1st for the next season. They also said they would email me when they were taking the reservations. On September 30 I received email that they were taking reservations. I reserved with them for July 20, 2015 on October 1st. The deposit was the full amount of the tour.

I made hotel reservations in Fairbanks on August 2nd for July 11th and 12th. We are staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites. Our cruise tour starts July 13. No deposit required.

I booked a rental car with Avis for July 11th to the 13th on September 5th. No deposit required.

Our Gold Dredge 8 and Riverboat Discovery tours in Fairbanks are part of the cruise tour as is the Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour. We may book additional excursions at the time of the cruise tour such as the Cabin Dinner Night Theater.

Hope this info is useful.

Regards, Steve

Thank you to Steve for his input. Understanding the timing of when to book has been a challenge. I posted about 2 weeks ago with a preliminary itinerary, but I have done a lot of finalizing since then. I will post my update soon so anyone else can learn from what I have dpne. Thanks to all the CC posters about itinerary choices, especially those who shared the "why" of their choice. It is super helpful.

Edited by knbcruisers

• 4 months later...

What a great thread!! DH and I are celebrating our 11th anniversary and my 6th year of being Cancer Free !! (Hip hip hooray!!)

I am still working out details but So Far:

DAY1:

Leave our dogs and all emergency info with our house sitter

Drive to PDX and park car for the week

Fly to Vancouver (arrive 11:25)

Take Canada Line Rail to the PORT (25 min)

Arrive to Embark on RC: Radiance of The Seas

DEPART 4:30 (Explore ship, find stateroom , dance around the room in anticipation of the amazing trip ahead!!)

Dinner: We are looking at CHOPS to set the tone for the cruise.

DAY 2: AT SEA

get up and pinch myself that this is really happening!

Coffee. review the days offerings and see what DH is in the mood for

Work out or jog (at Sea! How awesome is that!)

ROCK CLIMBING WALL!

camera binoculars NO PHONES, NO WORK, NO LAPTOP!!!

FIRST FORMAL NIGHT: DH has agreed to rent a TUX!! I am beyond excited for this (He is a rugged outdoors type. I have NEVER seen him in a tux!!)

DAY 3: Ketchikan 6am-4pm

EXCURSION: Misty Fjords float plane 730am (4.5hrs)

12-3 explore town (Museums? Culture Centers?)

Back to ship and another lovely dinner

DAY 4: Icy Straight Point 9am-6pm

Up early to work out, Grab coffee.

EXCURSION Whales Brown Bears & Wildlife 9:55am (5.5hrs)

3:30-5 Explore town

Back to ship for dinner (GIOVANNIS)

DAY 5: Juneau 7am-8:30pm

Work out early

Breakfast on board

LOOKING AT GUIDE BOOKS but basically plan on exploring the town for the day.

Likely go back to the ship for dinner.

DAY 6: Skagway 7am-4:30pm

EXCURSION: White Pass Scenic Railway 8:10am (3.25hrs)

11:30-3:30 Explore town

Dinner on ship (Possibly PORTOFINOS)

DAY 7: AT SEA (HUBBARD GLACIER)

Last day to relax and enjoy

Work out/ ROCK CLIMBING WALL

Enjoy beautiful ship

SPA DAY

FINAL FORMAL NIGHT (Last chance to see DH in TUX **sigh**)

DAY 8: SEWARD 5am

Coffee/ tears

Disembark early

8AM ACT TOUR BUS to ANCHORAGE

ANCHORAGE (airport drop off)11am

(LOOKING AT GUIDE BOOKS as to What to explore in town)

Last Night (ANCHoRAGE INN)

DAY 9: 6:15 flight to PDX

arrive 10:50am

Pick up car from long term lot

Home to Our PUPPIES!!

SUNDAY: Regroup and get our feet back on the ground

MONDAY: Back to the office!

What a great thread!! DH and I are celebrating our 11th anniversary and my 6th year of being Cancer Free !! (Hip hip hooray!!)

I am still working out details but So Far:

DAY1:

Leave our dogs and all emergency info with our house sitter

Drive to PDX and park car for the week

Fly to Vancouver (arrive 11:25)

Take Canada Line Rail to the PORT (25 min)

Arrive to Embark on RC: Radiance of The Seas

DEPART 4:30 (Explore ship, find stateroom , dance around the room in anticipation of the amazing trip ahead!!)

Dinner: We are looking at CHOPS to set the tone for the cruise.

DAY 2: AT SEA

get up and pinch myself that this is really happening!

Coffee. review the days offerings and see what DH is in the mood for

Work out or jog (at Sea! How awesome is that!)

ROCK CLIMBING WALL!

camera binoculars NO PHONES, NO WORK, NO LAPTOP!!!

FIRST FORMAL NIGHT: DH has agreed to rent a TUX!! I am beyond excited for this (He is a rugged outdoors type. I have NEVER seen him in a tux!!)

DAY 3: Ketchikan 6am-4pm

EXCURSION: Misty Fjords float plane 730am (4.5hrs)

12-3 explore town (Museums? Culture Centers?)

Back to ship and another lovely dinner

DAY 4: Icy Straight Point 9am-6pm

Up early to work out, Grab coffee.

EXCURSION Whales Brown Bears & Wildlife 9:55am (5.5hrs)

3:30-5 Explore town

Back to ship for dinner (GIOVANNIS)

DAY 5: Juneau 7am-8:30pm

Work out early

Breakfast on board

LOOKING AT GUIDE BOOKS but basically plan on exploring the town for the day.

Likely go back to the ship for dinner.

DAY 6: Skagway 7am-4:30pm

EXCURSION: White Pass Scenic Railway 8:10am (3.25hrs)

11:30-3:30 Explore town

Dinner on ship (Possibly PORTOFINOS)

DAY 7: AT SEA (HUBBARD GLACIER)

Last day to relax and enjoy

Work out/ ROCK CLIMBING WALL

Enjoy beautiful ship

SPA DAY

FINAL FORMAL NIGHT (Last chance to see DH in TUX **sigh**)

DAY 8: SEWARD 5am

Coffee/ tears

Disembark early

8AM ACT TOUR BUS to ANCHORAGE

ANCHORAGE (airport drop off)11am

(LOOKING AT GUIDE BOOKS as to What to explore in town)

Last Night (ANCHoRAGE INN)

DAY 9: 6:15 flight to PDX

arrive 10:50am

Pick up car from long term lot

Home to Our PUPPIES!!

SUNDAY: Regroup and get our feet back on the ground

MONDAY: Back to the office!

Your excitement is contagious. I've been planning my trip for a long time and I'm more worried then excited about my trip but after reading your post I'm starting to get excited too :)

Congratulations to OfftoseaAlaska on being cancer free for 6 years.:)

As much as you are looking forward to your cruise, I think that those

6 years are even better:D...but I also feel your excitement for the

cruise too.....hope you have a fantastic time.:)

I am sailing to Alaska next month but I don't plan like you do......

I mean I know what I am going to do but all the "details"......I never

work out so that is not part of my routine. And I don't do the exact

times.....unless I am on tour of course....but sometimes I think playing

things by ear can be fun and relaxing too.:)

Your excitement is contagious. I've been planning my trip for a long time and I'm more worried then excited about my trip but after reading your post I'm starting to get excited too :)

UVASAG: I'm so glad that You are getting excited!! Vacations are supposed to be fun and relaxing.

I like to do lots of planning prior but then just go with the flow when I'm on the journey.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Congratulations to OfftoseaAlaska on being cancer free for 6 years.:)

As much as you are looking forward to your cruise, I think that those

6 years are even better:D...but I also feel your excitement for the

cruise too.....hope you have a fantastic time.:)

I am sailing to Alaska next month but I don't plan like you do......

I mean I know what I am going to do but all the "details"......I never

work out so that is not part of my routine. And I don't do the exact

times.....unless I am on tour of course....but sometimes I think playing

things by ear can be fun and relaxing too.:)

LOIS: Thank You for your kind wishes. It is a big celebration for both DH and myself for sure!!

I really have fun planning trips but I do agree that just going with what the day brings can result in some pretty amazing surprises coming your way! That being said, I try to balance my planning with a flexible and spontaneous travel style.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

This is our first cruise!

Day 1: fly to Seattle, land hopefully 10:25a.m. Try to drop off luggage at the hotel. Our hotel is walking distance to the Space Needle and the Chiluhy exhibit. Though, I'm sure it would be very busy at Pike's Market, we'll also visit there.

Day 2: wake up EARLY to take the Cascade train to Vancouver, board the ship.

Day 3: on the ship, cruising the inside passage.

Day 4: Tracy Arm Fjord and Juneau (1-10p.m.) Whale watching tour for four hours and Mendenhall Glacier.

Day 5: Skagway 7a.m. to 9p.m. Rented a car to drive to Emerald Lake.

Day 6: Cruising Glacier bay

Day 7: Ketchikan 10a.m. to 6p.m. Nothing planned here, we'll walk around and see the town. If something catches our eye we may join.

Day 8: on the ship

Day 9: Arrive back to Vancouver. Take the luggage to the hotel and explore the city. I'm thinking of Stanley Park and the Capilano suspension bridges

Day 10: wake up EARLY to take the Cascade train back to Seattle, fly back home

We are doing a B2B cruise departing out of Vancouver. We are spending 2 days pre-cruise and 1 day post-cruise in Vancouver.

1. Board Celebrity Millennium in Vancouver

2. Inside Passage - Cruising

3. Ketchikan - Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer

4. Icy Strait - Glacier Wind Whale Watching

5. Juneau - Harv & Marv Whale Watching

6. Skagway - TBD

7. Hubbard Glacier - Cruising

8. Seward - Kenai Fjord National Park Tour

9. Hubbard Glacier - Cruising

10. Juneau - Harv & Marv Whale Watching

11. Skagway - TBD

12. Icy Strait - F.I.S.H.E.S. Whale Watching