Very odd question about cheers program.

sassafrass

I can see you cruise both lines, and have seen your posts on the Princess boards. My question, or retort to a prior post was why does Carnival Cruises have this policy?. I hate it when posters say, Carnival is the Walmart, Trash, etc.. I've really enjoyed Carnival and frankly have had it with the Princess shopping mall and their declining dining room food.. My older sister, 60+, LOVES carnival and assured me the food would be better. I cruise Princess as I my wife and I go with my 92yr old Mom. Things go little slower on Princess,not as slow as Holland, and Moms comfortable with the ships.See's only been to all 50 states, 76 countries and all 7 continents.

I was just trying to find out "Why" the difference in the 2 beverage programs. Pulling a fast one, as you stated can happen anywhere.We tried NCL, and never again will we sail on the ghetto ship. Great room, but thats all I have to say.

My Mom buys the all inclusive drink package on Princess and I don't. As you can see by my aviatar, I cruise with my growler. Teenagers and company bankruptcy kinda told me I needed a new direction so I stick to beer only.

I go to a bar on Princess and order my Moms drink on her card( Bloody Mary to start ) and use my card for my beers. The bartenders don't think I'm pulling a fast one on them.Mom does have over 21 cruises on Princess

When Princess first rolled out their program both had to buy the drink package, then they changed. I know the way our society works is by human greed, but assuming that "every" person showing up with a Drs note is only out to game the system isn't right. Princess doesn't have a limit on drinks, being coffee, water or alcohol.

Telling me to sick with Princess isn't a very good solution. Variety is the spice of life, and I enjoy it. I thought the Princess board had the monopoly on the morality police. Geez

As to the Why? We all have to pay for others scamming the system. This concept is as old as civilization itself, Eye for an Eye, the 10 Commandments, Disneyland no longer allowing the disabled front-of-line privileges, Carnival's beverage policies. All put into place because others before us were idjits.

It's good that Princess doesn't have a limit on drinks or pax in cabin restrictions. But there are other things that Carnival does better. 24 hr ice cream, free hot chocolate, larger societal mix of passengers, larger cabins and better room stewards.

Edited by SadieN

I don't understand the anger towards the rules for cheers (or Carnival's right to not make exceptions). Cheers will not work for everyone!

The wife and I spend about $75 on average per cruise day on drinks, so for us it is cheaper to pay as we go than to buy cheers. I am not offended that Carnival doesn't have a drink package that works for us. :)

Not anger on my part, but education. I go to a forum boards where people know more than I do from experience and try to learn. We've cruised Carnival before and are looking forward to our next cruise. Just trying to find some info.

Now for cabins, the only thing I can gripe about is the lack of a plug on the bedside of the room. If Carnival doesn't mind duct tape on the floor, and actually does it for you, neither do I. We prefer the mini suites on Princess for the added room and the bathtub. I've heard of "large" people actually having to go the Lotus pool and shower because they couldn't fit into what Princess calls a shower. Extended balcony on the Miracle for us, as we had on the Spirit. I do have to say our room steward on our 05/31 Princess to Alaska was above and beyond the best I've had on any cruise line.

What is the one reason that the majority of people cruise Carnival? Because they have the lowest prices (most of the time). But then the first thing they complain about is the rules that Carnival has for their drink package (Cheers)....I believe there are other cruise lines that are within $500-600 of said Carnival cruise, but not everybody in the cabin has to purchase the package. So I'm not quite sure why people would rather complain about Carnival's rules, and not just go with another line. Itinerary, dates, just scared to venture to another line?

But there are other things that Carnival does better. 24 hr ice cream, free hot chocolate, larger societal mix of passengers, larger cabins and better room stewards.

Princess has 24/hr ice cream, for sure Carnival has societal mix of passengers and children, the showers are larger on Carnival. Our cabin steward on all of our Princess cruises EXCEPT for 1 cruise were good. I believe that elites and platinum are treated better on Princess than on Carnival. I saw that first hand on the Legend--for debarkation in Juneau was a joke. The over ripe soggy gooey chocolate covered strawberries on the Legend was a disaster. I could go on on a few other things about Carnival, I've voiced my opinion on other threads. Free hot chocolate doesn't mean anything to me as we bring our own Cappuccino on both Carnival and Princess as they both charge for it.

What is the one reason that the majority of people cruise Carnival? Because they have the lowest prices (most of the time). But then the first thing they complain about is the rules that Carnival has for their drink package (Cheers)....I believe there are other cruise lines that are within $500-600 of said Carnival cruise, but not everybody in the cabin has to purchase the package. So I'm not quite sure why people would rather complain about Carnival's rules, and not just go with another line. Itinerary, dates, just scared to venture to another line?

There was a time when we were loyal Carnival customers. You can look at my cruises in my sig and figure it out. We cruised on the same ship 2-3 times with Carnival and we still love those ships. What changed for us was the smoking on balconies and too many unruly children on board. We're nonsmokers and we got tired of smelling the smoke on our balcony. Even with the new rules in place, I would read here where people said they would not follow the "rules" of smoking. They make it bad for everyone just like the drinking package. Carnival may be a cheaper line to cruise and for them to change their "rules" on all passengers in the room over 21 must purchase the package is a money maker for Carnival. We all know that people will break the "rules" otherwise. I may be one of those to not venture out to other cruise lines. You get use to one cruise line, you know what to expect, and when you reach a certain level, it's hard to give up those perks and start all over with a new line. JMHO.

Princess has 24/hr ice cream, for sure Carnival has societal mix of passengers and children, the showers are larger on Carnival. Our cabin steward on all of our Princess cruises EXCEPT for 1 cruise were good. I believe that elites and platinum are treated better on Princess than on Carnival. I saw that first hand on the Legend--for debarkation in Juneau was a joke. The over ripe soggy gooey chocolate covered strawberries on the Legend was a disaster. I could go on on a few other things about Carnival, I've voiced my opinion on other threads. Free hot chocolate doesn't mean anything to me as we bring our own Cappuccino on both Carnival and Princess as they both charge for it.

Enjoy princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread has bounced around so much I am not sure if my comment even relates to the original post. We have bought Cheers! since it was 1st offered. We have always saved money and it is really great now as I would not otherwise get milkshakes or coffees. And would not do the Alchemy bar. We have never been able to figure out a way to get a bucket of beer, with the program. We bring a collapsible cooler that the room steward keeps filled with ice. I, rarely have a problem having them NOT to open the beer. The only time I had a bartender seem to insist on opening the beer, I said, ah, come on, I'm taking a plate of food back to the room and if you open the beer, I will have to go through a juggling act to keep the beer from spilling. But, we do usually tip a dollar a drink. We always book Lido. Mere steps to a bar. Buy a beer, take to room, come back, repeat. The domestic beer we get has a screw top, so even if they open it, it is not going to go flat before we drink it. Also, when I get a frozen drink, I have them put it in my container, sip a bit, and have the 2nd one poured over the 1st, so am set for a while. :)