Rough Seas in the Baltic in mid June?

Seas can be calm, or rough, any time, anywhere. Chances are they will be somewhere in between.

And they aren't predictable.

If you have issues with sea sickness, you need to be prepared every day you are on a ship. The sea moves, and it moves ships.

It is true that rough seas can happen anywhere and any time. But some seas are more known for rough seas than other. So, since the North Sea is more known for rough seas than the Baltic Sea it could be a good idea to look for cruises that start or end in Copenhagen or Stockholm where you don't have to cross the North Sea.

My silver Cloud Baltic cruise in June 2015 probably had the calmest seas of any cruise I’ve been on. The only rough sea was crossing the North Sea from the Thames estuary to Amsterdam. Leaving the Keel Canal into the Baltic Sea, the water was like glass. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a calmer sea anywhere.

We got lucky. A week later it could have been very rough. So no one can ever give a definite answer... but I appreciate it’s just a guide you seek.I would say it’s a good time to sail and likely better than at other times. I doubt I would have seen the calm sea in the winter, though I know you wouldn’t be sailing the Baltic in December!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Helpful perspective from some of you -- thank you! I live on the ocean, have taken many cruises in places like Alaska and the Medit. and even take a ferry to work....so I understand that oceans are unpredictable. However history can help understand what conditions might be typical for an area. We're trying to choose cabin location and if I were to understand that the Baltic is typically very rough during June, I'd perhaps choose mid-ship.

Thanks all!

Thanks for posting this! Also heading to the Baltic/North Sea in June this year, so the insights are great!

Totally understandable that conditions are always changing, I feel like I have pretty good "sea legs", but traveling with my very young 63 y/o mother who's been a pro on cruises before but has a history of seasickness. Will be sure to bring all sorts of back up meds! :)

Happy Cruising!

Helpful perspective from some of you -- thank you! I live on the ocean, have taken many cruises in places like Alaska and the Medit. and even take a ferry to work....so I understand that oceans are unpredictable. However history can help understand what conditions might be typical for an area. We're trying to choose cabin location and if I were to understand that the Baltic is typically very rough during June, I'd perhaps choose mid-ship.

Thanks all!

Then I would expect you to to pick a mid ship cabin, as there is no real way to absolutely predict what the seas might be.

That would be the proactive, logical way to deal with it. Why would you go on a cruise expecting it to be calm? Hoping for the best, planning for the worst would say book mid ship.

My silver Cloud Baltic cruise in June 2015 probably had the calmest seas of any cruise I’ve been on. The only rough sea was crossing the North Sea from the Thames estuary to Amsterdam. Leaving the Keel Canal into the Baltic Sea, the water was like glass. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a calmer sea anywhere.

We got lucky. A week later it could have been very rough. So no one can ever give a definite answer... but I appreciate it’s just a guide you seek.I would say it’s a good time to sail and likely better than at other times. I doubt I would have seen the calm sea in the winter, though I know you wouldn’t be sailing the Baltic in December!

Just thinking about what I mentioned above about the glass Baltic Sea. Seen a calmer sea?

View my YouTube video from 22 mins on (The clip is Silver Clouds transition of the Kiel Canal