18+ Alcohol question

I imagine I could find this somewhere on the RCI site, but not HATING myself, I do whatever I can to avoid that debacle.:cool:

What is the current alcohol policy for 18-21 year olds on RCI? I think it depends on ports of origin (Europe vs. US, etc...). Specifically looking at a Caribbean cruise out of Florida next year. Will the 18 year olds be allowed beer and wine a-la Norwegian? Or is it all strictly 21 and over?

If the latter, any experience with the occasional deviation. Not looking to have the 18 year olds have free reign, but if they had a beer with us from time to time would that be unheard of? Please, spare the "they could get kicked off the ship" bit. I know that. I'm just wondering in anyone's experience what they've actually done and experienced.

Current RC policy:

Effective immediatly on all sailings, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International is as follows.

• The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated.

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

I imagine I could find this somewhere on the RCI site, but not HATING myself, I do whatever I can to avoid that debacle.:cool:

What is the current alcohol policy for 18-21 year olds on RCI? I think it depends on ports of origin (Europe vs. US, etc...). Specifically looking at a Caribbean cruise out of Florida next year. Will the 18 year olds be allowed beer and wine a-la Norwegian? Or is it all strictly 21 and over?

If the latter, any experience with the occasional deviation. Not looking to have the 18 year olds have free reign, but if they had a beer with us from time to time would that be unheard of? Please, spare the "they could get kicked off the ship" bit. I know that. I'm just wondering in anyone's experience what they've actually done and experienced.

RCL out of the US does not allow serving any alcohol to anyone under 21. If you will be at a port that has a drinking age of 18, they could have beverages in the port of call (not on the ship).

Thanks for the responses! That's what I thought, but after sailing Norwegian last year where they allowed beer & wine, I just wasn't certain.

Funny, I used to like this policy. But now that I have an 18 year old, I am not as big a fan of it. I wish there was some middle ground (i.e. waiver, or permitted with supervision, etc...). I get it, it's probably impractical. But selfishly, it sure would be nice!

Not looking to have the 18 year olds have free reign, but if they had a beer with us from time to time would that be unheard of?

If you really want your 18 yo to have a beer, get one at a bar and bring it back to the cabin and give to him/her to consume there.

If you really want your 18 yo to have a beer, get one at a bar and bring it back to the cabin and give to him/her to consume there.

I always taught my kids to obey the laws, or rules. If they are someplace they can legally drink, and they want to, than do so. If it is illegal or not allowed, than don't. Spending 18 years of teaching the right thing, I wouldn't intentionally show them how not to. If they want drinks, they will find a way.

Thanks for the responses! That's what I thought, but after sailing Norwegian last year where they allowed beer & wine, I just wasn't certain.

Funny, I used to like this policy. But now that I have an 18 year old, I am not as big a fan of it. I wish there was some middle ground (i.e. waiver, or permitted with supervision, etc...). I get it, it's probably impractical. But selfishly, it sure would be nice!

My first cruise I was a month shy of my 21st birthday. My friends and family would get me the occasional drink from the bar or wherever. Never while like at dinner in the MDR or anything like that. It was typically like maybe one or 2 drinks a day. I was never getting even remotely drunk, or buzzed for that matter. Never had any problems.

On a lot of the Caribbean islands the drinking age is 16. Let them buy themselves a beer on shore at one of the ports you stop at. DD bought herself and her dad a beer on St. Maarten when she was 17. She was pretty excited about that.

I'm feeling the same way. Looking at taking my boys on a NYE cruise and the youngest will be 19 at the time (oldest will be 23). He's a little upset that he won't be able to drink on board ship, but at least he'll be able to drink on our excursions in Mexico, Grand Cayman (I think got to double check that), and Jamaica.

Just realize that if you get caught you may find yourself off the ship at some foreign port.

Just realize that if you get caught you may find yourself off the ship at some foreign port.

Overly dramatic much? While that may be technically true, the chances of it are so miniscule that I don't think it's something the OP needs to worry about. There are no security cameras inside the cabin, the crew is not allowed to just walk in unannounced, and if the OP is serious about this being an occasional thing, it's not like the kid is going to leave the cabin falling down drunk and get caught that way.

Maybe, but truth in advertising....

And that is actually hilarious coming on this forum, where people get bent about just about every rule violation. But you probably shared a drink package. :D

And posting about it on an open forum is not exactly keeping it to yourself.

Not sure about this one, but on other forums I frequent, I KNOW that the appropriate parties monitor them.

Maybe, but truth in advertising....

And that is actually hilarious coming on this forum, where people get bent about just about every rule violation. But you probably shared a drink package. :D

And posting about it on an open forum is not exactly keeping it to yourself.

Not sure about this one, but on other forums I frequent, I KNOW that the appropriate parties monitor them.

Why would that even matter? This is an anonymous forum.