QM2 not what it is made out to be

chloe kitty

I find it surprising that so many think the missed drinks are too weak on the QM2. We had the various drinks in the Commodore Club, our favorite spot on the ship. The drinks were most often too strong. When asked for a drink with less alcohol I was told they could not reduce the standard pour. I had to leave a few drinks untouched as they were much too strong.

The standard pour was reduced to one ounce recently. How long ago where you on?

The standard pour was reduced to one ounce recently. How long ago where you on?

If I remember correctly the price increase and different Bar Measures 1oz and 2oz (instead of just the 2oz) came in to effect across the fleet just after QM2 refit.

Edited by Pennbank

I think after 11 pages of replies on this thread, we can safely say that the Chrustmasc Cruise was not up to the usual standards of Cundard and of QM2.

Illness was rife on the ship, and I know many people who got ill including myself. It took weeks to recover. The staff got ill. Our waiter went down with it. However, that was a bug that was rife all over at the time of the year. Not unique to QM2.

I have cruised most years in winter and have experienced illness in winter on all ships. QE, QV QM2 and even caught noriovirus on the old QE2. It happens and can spoil ones cruise .

Reading back on these comments I was not alone in finding the food to be substandard. The illness was not a major gripe for me. It was the. other things that were just not up to standard.

A lot of problems stemmed from the mix of passengers.

The behaviour of some was unbelievable. The large table reserved for the Captain was taken over by a large group of 13. Teenagers at the table were braiding each others hair whilst we were all still eating dinner.

No hosted tables were held for the two weeks from New York and back. After New York this was back to service as normal.

I could go on, but no reason too. I am over it and looking forward to my

next cruise on QE and QM2.

I just hope that Cunard learns from this as I know for sure they are aware of the complaints as I filled out a feedback page they sent me and they contacted me afterwards to say they were looking into the food issues etc as others had complained.

Plus there are hundreds of bad reports on this particular cruise on various Face Book forums, so Cunard should have got the message by now.

Happy cruising everyone.

maggiemou,

This thread wasn't started by a cruiser who was on board at Christmas, it was originally about a segment of the World Cruise from Cape Town to Perth.

Thank you Hattie,

The headlines Is about QM2 Not What She is made out to be.

Nothing to state it was about one section of a cruise.

11 pages of comments about various cruises and other cruise lines.

Forums often go off topic.

The behaviour of some was unbelievable. The large table reserved for the Captain was taken over by a large group of 13. ...

How does anybody take over a reserved table and still get full service? Evidently the word went out that passengers were to be allowed have their fun lest being told "no" to anything would make them mad and stop spending money. :mad:

The ship itself handles the weather better than just about any other ship and the promenade deck is wonderful. Unfortunately, Cunard is packing more passengers on board while maintaining the same level of staff (the recent “remastering” of QM2 and the squaring off of the QV’s stern and subsequent loss of the Chart Room). As a shareholder I understand these moves but as a passenger it makes Cunard less desirable.

A couple of years ago my wife tried Oceania with her sister. They both raved about the food (everyone has the same menu, from the Owner’s Suite down to inside cabins). So she treated me to an Oceania cruise and I was hooked. Small, intimate ships, longer port calls, outstanding food and beds, even for steerage passengers.

I hate it when companies debase their brands.

It took us quite some time years ago and a considerable number of mass market ships before a great TA find introduced us to Oceania, which is undoubtedly the best value for an overall quality experience at sea. I wish more folks who have worked hard for their vacation dollars would do the bottom line math when comparing ship choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was aboard for the Christmas New Years cruise from 12/22/2017 to 1/3/2018 and had a wonderful time onboard QM2. Although, I will say that in my 7 voyages aboard QM2, made up of 4 TA's, and 3 Caribbean Christmas New Years cruises, this particular cruise had the greatest number of atypical Cunard passengers onboard. There was a large contingent of unruly teenage passengers who were going around causing some problems, such as throwing food off of a balcony down onto deck 7. Captain Wells personally took the kids and their parents to task and promised to ban them from sailing Cunard in the future if they didn't improve their behavior. I witnessed an American guy start an argument with a Scottish passenger while waiting for a shuttle bus back to the ship in Barbados and they almost came to blows. I also saw a pair of twins go behind the counter in Kings Court and start picking through the food with their hands and double dipping in the New Years Eve chocolate fountain. They were quickly chased off by a Kings Court manager. I did observe an older Russian guy dining in Britannia wearing a baseball cap, even on formal nights. In spite of these few rude and inconsiderate passengers 95% of the people onboard were wonderful, and I enjoyed making some new friends as well as bumping into old friends from prior cruises. I was not about to allow the small minority to prevent my enjoyment of QM2. I experienced excellent service in Britannia and found the food in Britannia and Kings Court to be very good. I did observe that there were a large number of passengers who seemed to be suffering from colds, but no greater a percentage of people than I had observed with colds in NYC the day prior to boarding.

No two voyages have the exact same passenger makeup, and no cruise line can control the illness that passengers bring on board.

I booked three more sailings on QM2 while I was aboard at Christmas, Norway roundtrip from Southampton immediately followed by a TA to NYC, and the next Christmas New Years Caribbean cruise. I'm sorry that the rude minority of passengers this past Christmas succeeded in spoiling the QM2 Cunard experience for some passengers.

This is a description of the state of a fretful child; the baby was very grizzly all evening. Does not relate to food in my opinion. The word that I assume the poster needed to use was gristly, from there being too much gristle in the steak. If only they had used an automatic spell checker they would have got drizzle, a light rain in prolific fine droplets.

Regards John

The word is gristle! That too hard for people to figure out? It's basically chewy strands in the steak. Being in the food industry this means the cook didn't cut "across" the grain. If you cut across the grain, it breaks the strands. Steak preparation 101.