Departure flight time

Travel Pat

We’ll be departing from Copenhagen on April 26 after sailing the Viking Sky. I’m making our air arrangements to fly back to the US on my own as it was much cheaper than using Viking Air. The only flight options I am seeing without very long layovers leave Copenhagen really early in the morning ... either 6:25 or 7:10 am. Are we able to disembark and make a flight that early? Will I be able to purchase a transfer to the airport through Viking? Thanks for any info you can share!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’ll be departing from Copenhagen on April 26 after sailing the Viking Sky. I’m making our air arrangements to fly back to the US on my own as it was much cheaper than using Viking Air. The only flight options I am seeing without very long layovers leave Copenhagen really early in the morning ... either 6:25 or 7:10 am. Are we able to disembark and make a flight that early? Will I be able to purchase a transfer to the airport through Viking? Thanks for any info you can share!

Check your invoice for the cruise. It will show when the Sky arrives in Copenhagen. It’s typically on the 3rd page. That’s the important data point. If the ship arrives the night before you’re good. When we were on France’s Finest last summer some folks left the ship in Lyon as early as 3:30am to make their return flight. But we had been docked there for 2 nights.

Believe you are on the Amsterdam to Copenhagen cruise, which has an overnight in Copenhagen before disembarkation on Apr 26th. You should have no problem disembarking the ship in time to make an early flight. The airport is just south of the city, probably about 10 miles.

Since you will need to depart the ship about 03:00 to 04:00, I doubt the ship will have sufficient pax at that time to justify a bus. Probably best to schedule a limo.

Thank you for the info everyone!

In any case, Viking will accommodate whatever arrangements you require. With them or as I can see on our Viking Dailies from last Summer as “own arrangement” or “private transfer”. (Did a b2b Viking River which involved two ships and a TGV in between). Other term is “independent arrangements” - based on VO cruise last Winter.

Believe you are on the Amsterdam to Copenhagen cruise, which has an overnight in Copenhagen before disembarkation on Apr 26th. You should have no problem disembarking the ship in time to make an early flight. The airport is just south of the city, probably about 10 miles.

Since you will need to depart the ship about 03:00 to 04:00, I doubt the ship will have sufficient pax at that time to justify a bus. Probably best to schedule a limo.

Andy, Viking may be an outlier here. I have been on a number of trips where there are buses headed to the airport to make those very early am flights. Many of them are folks using Viking Air who didn't pay for custom air.

Andy, Viking may be an outlier here. I have been on a number of trips where there are buses headed to the airport to make those very early am flights. Many of them are folks using Viking Air who didn't pay for custom air.

Don’t think custom air is a factor at all. Using Viking Air is. But then again, Viking may be very customer friendly on this score. If they have a bus departing for the airport at 3am or whatever for folks who booked their flights on VA and are aware of other pax who booked their own flights and need to leave at the same time, it’s possible - don’t know for a fact - that if the bus or van has the room - they would take them too. If not, am sure they will help the “own arrangement” pax set up their taxi reservations. Custom Air allows you to contact Viking Air directly and have some control over what flights you take. Otherwise it’s just wait and see what VA gives you.

Don’t think custom air is a factor at all.

On our China river cruise with Viking, there were a number of people complaining about having to leave the hotel before dawn to make early morning planes. Most of them had used VA but not custom air. We used custom air and were on the direct flight to Chicago that left mid-day. Since then, I have always used custom air just to avoid early am wake up calls. I've heard similar complaints on subsequent cruises.

On our China river cruise with Viking, there were a number of people complaining about having to leave the hotel before dawn to make early morning planes. Most of them had used VA but not custom air. We used custom air and were on the direct flight to Chicago that left mid-day. Since then, I have always used custom air just to avoid early am wake up calls. I've heard similar complaints on subsequent cruises.

I agree. From the perspective of having some control over your fights, custom air is the answer.

I did not use Viking Air for our Midnight Sun, but my TA pre booked a Viking Transfer to LHR for $40ea. You do not need to use their air to purchase their transfer. Yea, you may need to be off the ship at 3am, but they'll get you there. The option to purchase the transfer was also on the disembarkation form we had to fill out.

We were on a 6:30 a.m. flight out of Bergen at the end of the Midnight Sun cruise this summer. We used Viking Air and were afraid we would end up with a 3:00 a.m. disembarkation time. We were pleasantly surprised that we got to sleep in -- until 4:30 a.m.! Viking is quite used to early disembarkation times and ungodly early shuttles to the airport, particularly when using their chosen flights. I'm sure part of the calculation on disembarkation time is the time it takes to get to the airport and the size of the airport (time it takes to get through security). They basically got us to Bergen airport at 5:00 a.m. for a 6:30 a.m. flight out and we had plenty of time to spare. This is our second experience with the Viking-provided free air that resulted in a very early departure and a very long wait at the connecting airport (this time it was almost 5 hours in Amsterdam, connecting to Atlanta). I think Viking Air Plus (custom flights) is definitely in our future . . .

Travel Pat, this is totally off the subject but where does Viking say you’ll dock in Copenhagen for disembarking? We will embark in Copenhagen on the 26th, originally our mailed documents showed docking at Langelinie Quay however we’ve since received an email saying

***Thank you for booking your cruise with us. This message is to advise you of an error in the Cruise Documents booklet we recently sent to you.

The port listed for your embarkation in Copenhagen is incorrect. The correct location is:

Port Address:

Oceankaj, terminal 1

(Ocean pier, cruise terminal 1)

Nordhavn 2150

When I look at Copenhagen docking this is what i find

ArrivalTimeDepartureTimeQuay nameQuayArrival

25 Sep - 18080027 Sep - 181800LangelinieC190Cruise call

Just curious as we arrive and will take a taxi from the airport. Thanks in advance for your help.

I hope you had a wonderful cruise on the Viking Sky.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Travel Pat, this is totally off the subject but where does Viking say you’ll dock in Copenhagen for disembarking? We will embark in Copenhagen on the 26th, originally our mailed documents showed docking at Langelinie Quay however we’ve since received an email saying

***Thank you for booking your cruise with us. This message is to advise you of an error in the Cruise Documents booklet we recently sent to you.

The port listed for your embarkation in Copenhagen is incorrect. The correct location is:

Port Address:

Oceankaj, terminal 1

(Ocean pier, cruise terminal 1)

Nordhavn 2150

When I look at Copenhagen docking this is what i find

ArrivalTimeDepartureTimeQuay nameQuayArrival

25 Sep - 18080027 Sep - 181800LangelinieC190Cruise call

Just curious as we arrive and will take a taxi from the airport. Thanks in advance for your help.

I hope you had a wonderful cruise on the Viking Sky.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ll have to take a look at the cruise documents. I’ll let you know.