Water island is great!

jean87510

We were at honeymoon beach 2 days ago and while it was beautiful, snorkeling was subpar and red hook travel total time was 1 hr 15 minutes on way back. So today my husband and I opted for water island. Ferry right next to cruise ship. $5/person one way. 10 minutes to get there. 2 beach bars. The best part was we saw a lot of turtles. I'm so glad we went here and didn't waste time going to st john. Really nice people working both bars and the ferry. Very different from taxi drivers and ferry operators at red hook and st john

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Just to clarify, Water Island ferry is a very short walk from Royal Caribbean dock, Crown Bay. If you're not on one of their ships you probably need a taxi to the Water Island ferry.

The beach isn't crowded now, but when hotels reopen and things return to normal, even this beach may be crowded.

Probably a 15 minute cab ride. Still quicker then st john. We are on celebrity and we docked at crown bay 2x. I like the free chairs and umbrellas, good food, free shuttle...for a beach day, it worked. It did get crowded with the boat people because its Sunday.

jean87510 - Really glad you had a good time at Honeymoon Beach today. But just so no one in the months ahead is mislead with expectations of visiting an "undiscovered" beach, the two days that you visited had the least number of visitors all season. The Summit was the only ship in port both of these days. With the normal number of cruise ships in St Thomas excursion after excursion brings hundreds of vacationers to this small beach. You were indeed fortunate to have been able to see some turtles, probably because by normal standards the beach was deserted today. Next time I hope you are as lucky! :)

Lol. I have seen pictures of how crowded it gets and we were indecisive about going. I think its popular from the boat traffic rather than cruise ship because of the bar and food. And they took credit cards. I'd still visit again. There was maybe 25 from our ship that went over. At least 200 on beach when we left at 3.

Just goes to show how perception varies from one person to another. Yesterday this beach was sparsely populated. There were none of the larger mass market excursion boats that bring hundreds of cruisers to the island. When multiple boats are here at the same time not only are there no lounge chairs available there are times when it is hard to find a space to throw down a towel. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
We were at honeymoon beach 2 days ago and while it was beautiful, snorkeling was subpar and red hook travel total time was 1 hr 15 minutes on way back. So today my husband and I opted for water island. Ferry right next to cruise ship. $5/person one way. 10 minutes to get there. 2 beach bars. The best part was we saw a lot of turtles. I'm so glad we went here and didn't waste time going to st john. Really nice people working both bars and the ferry. Very different from taxi drivers and ferry operators at red hook and st john

We will be on the RC Harmony of Seas in June and this is just what i was looking for. THANK YOU!! Was the ferry to Water Island easy to recognize? How often do they leave/return to the port?

We will be on the RC Harmony of Seas in June and this is just what i was looking for. THANK YOU!! Was the ferry to Water Island easy to recognize? How often do they leave/return to the port?
Every hour. It took about 10-15 minutes. Walk was about 10 minutes walk from ship exit to ferry dock. We were there on a Sunday and the departure time was 10am but the ferry left at 930am with us. We took the 315 back. We walked back to dock rather then the shuttle and we were first in line. I watched people running for ship who took 415 ferry back with a 430 departure so I'd aim for an hour before your ship leaves

A couple of years ago we went to water island for the day. We bought some cheese and crackers and something to drink at the marina store at St Thomas and took the water taxi over. It was beautiful however I got bitten by sand fleas to the point I had to do to the ships doctor and didn’t sleep due to itching for several nights. Would love to go back in December but scared of getting bite again. Does this happen often?

• 5 weeks later...

Can you clarify for me please? You mentioned Honeymoon Beach in relationship to Red Hook/St John’s.

I thought Honeymoon Beach was on Water Island. We were there many tears ago and thought that was the beach. Your descriotion of getting to Water Zisland us how I remember it. In e off the ferry, we had to walk uphill and then after a short walk, reached Honeymoon Beach.

• 1 month later...

The easy way to see plenty of turtles on Honeymoon Beach is to rent a stand up paddleboard from Dinghy's Beach Bar. We had a big group and rented two of them and took turns going out. Everyone saw several turtles just minding their own business. Great food and friendly people at Dinghy's and Heidi's - we tried both.

• 2 weeks later...