Sea's at say 12', hows the ride?

sunbrookgal

Last year, we hit rough ocean on our Barcelona to Bergen cruise and were unable to dock in Cadiz. Ship was REALLY rocking, had to hold onto the rails in the hallways and no one was allowed outside on the decks or balconies. Lots of people got sick. Thank goodness the Dramamine helped me completely!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK, here's a (bad) video of our ship today at the northern edge of the Bay of Biscay. The shakiness is due to wind on our balcony. I had my elbows propped on the railing, but it's pretty fierce out there. In some ways, I don't think it's as bad as the swells we encountered after the Straits of Gibraltar. But maybe I'm just getting used to it.

:eek:

Twitchy too funny.. I warned you! But I'm sure all is well. We had a couple of days around the Bay of Biscay that our captain said turned us into sailors...hope you are having fun!

We are indeed! I could get used to being endlessly pampered. :)

We’re sailing the south coast of England now in balmy weather. Yesterday evening as I got up from our couch in the Explorer’s Lounge, it hit me — I wasn’t having to adjust my balance before fully standing up. First time since we left Barcelona that it’s been this smooth. You can barely tell we’re on a ship. Big contrast.

To answer an earlier question, our cabin is about 1/4 of the way back from the front, deck 4.

• 3 weeks later...

We had quite the ride for most of our TA in March on Sky. The ship was moving parallel to the swells so rather than moving up and down front to back, the ship was rolling from side to side.

Based on what an app on my phone showed, typically about 3 degrees each way but on the worst day it reached over 5. Handrails were definitely appreciated!

While the motion rocked me to sleep, DH had trouble sleeping especially because one rolled side to side in the bed during the worst of it. Also, those of us well forward on Deck 3 in the cheap seats heard a regular LOUD clanging-the folks who were in the most forward stateroom said they believed it to be an anchor chain?

Below is a link to a video I posted on my blog showing how much we were rocking and rolling.

https://cruisinwithclay.wordpress.com/2018/03/11/full-day/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had quite the ride for most of our TA in March on Sky. The ship was moving parallel to the swells so rather than moving up and down front to back, the ship was rolling from side to side.

Based on what an app on my phone showed, typically about 3 degrees each way but on the worst day it reached over 5. Handrails were definitely appreciated!

While the motion rocked me to sleep, DH had trouble sleeping especially because one rolled side to side in the bed during the worst of it. Also, those of us well forward on Deck 3 in the cheap seats heard a regular LOUD clanging-the folks who were in the most forward stateroom said they believed it to be an anchor chain?

Below is a link to a video I posted on my blog showing how much we were rocking and rolling.

That’s pretty much what we experienced after the Strait of Gibraltar, those big swells that made the ocean look like an aquatic mountain range. We rocked side to side *and* front to back. Kind of like a really big carnival fun ride. I’m not sure I’d want an entire cruise of that, but I did get used to it.

Arggggg! We had cheap seats on Deck 3 forward once and NEVER AGAIN. Those first few cabins are sooooo noisy! We heard the clanging and clinking and creaking too. It wasn't made better by rough seas. :rolleyes:

When we toured the bridge on the Sky, there was a discussion about the rough seas and the use of stabilizers. The direction of the waves during the worst of our trip was from behind. Basically, pushing the ship into the next swell in front of us.

Interesting. I would’ve enjoyed hearing what they had to say about that.

When we toured the bridge on the Sky, there was a discussion about the rough seas and the use of stabilizers. The direction of the waves during the worst of our trip was from behind. Basically, pushing the ship into the next swell in front of us.

When the seas are from aft, or following seas, the stabalisers are basically ineffective.

And now here we are, rockin’ and rollin’ out of Porto. Thanks to you and others here, I’m well stocked with ginger, and it has helped. I blessedly don’t seem too badly affected by these swells. I’m sitting in the Explorer’s Lounge right now where it feels a bit like a roller coaster at times. I’ve decided it’s fun. Mostly. But I certainly wouldn’t object to smoother sailing.

Based on this thread, I wonder if it’s often choppy like this around the coast of Spain and Portugal?

Twichly, what kind of ginger did you have and what brand? Looking at your photos I might have them...

Thank you!

Twichly, what kind of ginger did you have and what brand? Looking at your photos I might have them...

Thank you!

I bought ginger capsules, basically just clear capsules filled with powdered ginger. These: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00014EECK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it

I also brought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I5X06DU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it for when a glass of water wasn’t available. But the capsules are just straight ginger and do a nice job of settling the stomach. I use them at home on occasion now, too.

I should point out that neither of us turned out to be wildly prone to seasickness. My DH didn’t need anything, and I never needed anything stronger than the ginger.

I bought ginger capsules, basically just clear capsules filled with powdered ginger. These: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00014EECK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it

I also brought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I5X06DU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it for when a glass of water wasn’t available. But the capsules are just straight ginger and do a nice job of settling the stomach. I use them at home on occasion now, too.

I should point out that neither of us turned out to be wildly prone to seasickness. My DH didn’t need anything, and I never needed anything stronger than the ginger.

Thank you!!! :). We were in a bad storm in Baltic Sea in November :( it was scary but we were ok. That was many years ago so I have no idea how we would handle something like that now...:confused:

Dear dln929,

The disruptive sounds you’ve described from your stateroom during rough seas are regrettable, and we are interested in learning more about your time on board. Should you wish to share more, it would be our pleasure to connect you with a member of our Customer Relations team, via TellUs@vikingcruises.com, who will be happy to discuss your voyage in more detail.

We hope to speak soon, dln929, and wish you a restful weekend.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Arggggg! We had cheap seats on Deck 3 forward once and NEVER AGAIN. Those first few cabins are sooooo noisy! We heard the clanging and clinking and creaking too. It wasn't made better by rough seas. :rolleyes:

On October 29, 2017 we sailed on the Sky out of New York harbor and into the teeth of a developing, very fierce nor'easter, bound for the Caribbean. The further to sea we sailed the rougher it became, and at one point the first evening the Cruise Director told me he had just been on the bridge with the Captain, who told him the seas were 6 to 7 meters at that point. Six meters is almost twenty feet. Dining was a bit of an experience -- our chairs kept sliding side to side -- and sleeping is hard when the ship is repeatedly slamming into waves. There was a lot of noise and spray and rocking and rolling and pitching. The wind and waves were so fierce that we were unable to make sufficient time to get to our first port, Bermuda, and headed toward our next port, St. Kitts, on schedule. As it happened, the second night out we had to make a turn to the west to get close enough to the coast in the vicinity of Norfolk, Virginia to permit a helicopter rescue of a passenger with a medical emergency. The remainder of the cruise was quite placid compared to those first two days. My impression was the ship was well-stabilized, and, for me at least, the excitement of the experience outweighed the discomfort.

Dear dln929,

The disruptive sounds you’ve described from your stateroom during rough seas are regrettable, and we are interested in learning more about your time on board. Should you wish to share more, it would be our pleasure to connect you with a member of our Customer Relations team, via TellUs@vikingcruises.com, who will be happy to discuss your voyage in more detail.

We hope to speak soon, dln929, and wish you a restful weekend.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Hmmmph, guess they don’t care about discussing my voyage in more detail.

We just returned from the April 10, 2018 Bracalone, Baltic and Beyond trip and were amazed at the motion and noise we had for the first few days and nights while at sea. Our cabin sounded like it was falling apart and made it very hard to sleep. Many people we talked to had the same problem regardless of where their cabin was. We never have been seasick but the noise was unreal. A cabin attendant stated it was the worst she had experienced. The Captain didn't comment for a couple of days. I wondered if the ship had a problem with heavy seas because of its ability to go "where other ships can't go." This was our first and probably last cruise on a small ship and I'm glad to see other people have had the same experience.

I definitely feel the effects of a turbulent ocean, so I always travel with ginger capsules. I don’t know why I haven’t picked up the ginger candy, like you mentioned Twitchly. It’s now in my Amazon cart. Azamara Quest (which is smaller than a Viking Ocean ship) had candied ginger readily available on our cruise in the Caribbean a few years ago. I believe the seas were 10’ - 15’ following a storm. The decks were closed due to the waves, and there were sickness bags in all the stairways. No one was walking in a straight line, and some people decided to (had to?) skip dinner. As Capt BJ and others mentioned - the direction of the ship versus the waves make a difference.

stretchcruz - I hope we don’t run into seas as rough as yours on the Sky! I will definitely need something stronger than ginger capsules, ginger candy, ginger beer, and green apples. On our last cruise, the previous occupants of our room left behind a few anti-nausea tools - ginger pills, wrist bands, and pepto-bismol. I kept the wrist bands since they were still wrapped in the original packaging. I may give those a try for our next cruise

Clay Clayton - what app do you have that tells you the degree of motion on the boat?

We just returned from the April 10, 2018 Bracalone, Baltic and Beyond trip and were amazed at the motion and noise we had for the first few days and nights while at sea. Our cabin sounded like it was falling apart and made it very hard to sleep. Many people we talked to had the same problem regardless of where their cabin was. We never have been seasick but the noise was unreal. A cabin attendant stated it was the worst she had experienced.

I’d forgotten about the cabin’s creaks and groans when we were on rough seas. Not as bad as yours, by the sound of it, but took some getting used to. Made me think of those old seafaring movies where the ship creaks as it rocks back and forth. I guess they really do.

And then there were those huge crashing noises off Porto when it sounded like a few hundred dishes went smashing to the ground twice in succession. We were on the top deck outside in the wind. The ship tipped heavily to the starboard, and just below us — crash, crash, crash. Then it righted itself and tipped to the port —- crash, crash, crash. I wonder how many dishes they go through in a year ...

I definitely feel the effects of a turbulent ocean, so I always travel with ginger capsules. I don’t know why I haven’t picked up the ginger candy, like you mentioned Twitchly. It’s now in my Amazon cart. Azamara Quest (which is smaller than a Viking Ocean ship) had candied ginger readily available on our cruise in the Caribbean a few years ago. I believe the seas were 10’ - 15’ following a storm. The decks were closed due to the waves, and there were sickness bags in all the stairways. No one was walking in a straight line, and some people decided to (had to?) skip dinner. As Capt BJ and others mentioned - the direction of the ship versus the waves make a difference.

stretchcruz - I hope we don’t run into seas as rough as yours on the Sky! I will definitely need something stronger than ginger capsules, ginger candy, ginger beer, and green apples. On our last cruise, the previous occupants of our room left behind a few anti-nausea tools - ginger pills, wrist bands, and pepto-bismol. I kept the wrist bands since they were still wrapped in the original packaging. I may give those a try for our next cruise

Clay Clayton - what app do you have that tells you the degree of motion on the boat?

For sea-sickness, my wife uses the Transdermal Scopolamine patches, which she applies 12 hours before rough weather. They last about 3 days and while they do have side affects, are don't make you sleepy, as per Gravol.

In Canada the patches are available over the counter, but I believe they are prescription in the US.

She always takes a supply when cruising or flying.

Don't drink while wearing a patch !!!!!!

You have been warned ! ! !

If planning to use the patch I suggest wearing one a week or so B4 your trip ..... see how your body reacts ....