comparison of Celebrity ships

shiphound

We are thinking about taking a Celebrity Cruise next winter (going out of either Miami or Fort Lauderdale). The idea would be to get out of winter for a while. We would combine the cruise with some time in Miami.

We have cruised a decent amount on a variety of lines but mostly with RC. RC cruises out of the east coast near us in the DC area (they go out of NJ and Baltimore) so are more convenient, but with us wanting to spend time in Miami anyway and wanting something a bit nicer than RC, we are thinking of doing Celebrity again. We have done one Celebrity Cruise in the past - Solstice out of Fort Lauderdale.

Are there Celebrity Ships or classes of ships you like better or worse? How would you compare different ships. We know the Edge is a brand new ship of a new line of ships but what about the others. How do they compare with Solstice or with something like Anthem of the Seas?

Thanks for any help.

Celebrity had 3 classes of ships.

4 M class : Infinity millennium Constellation and Summit.

5 S Class : Solstice, Sillhouette, Eclipse, Equinox and Reflection. The first four are very similar, Reflectiona little larger.

And as you know, there will be Edge, which will sail from Fort Lauderdale.

sailing out of Miami, there’s Equinox and Infinity in 2018

Out of Fort Lauderdale are Reflection and Silhouette and Infinity in 2019

We are thinking about taking a Celebrity Cruise next winter (going out of either Miami or Fort Lauderdale). The idea would be to get out of winter for a while. We would combine the cruise with some time in Miami.

We have cruised a decent amount on a variety of lines but mostly with RC. RC cruises out of the east coast near us in the DC area (they go out of NJ and Baltimore) so are more convenient, but with us wanting to spend time in Miami anyway and wanting something a bit nicer than RC, we are thinking of doing Celebrity again. We have done one Celebrity Cruise in the past - Solstice out of Fort Lauderdale.

Are there Celebrity Ships or classes of ships you like better or worse? How would you compare different ships. We know the Edge is a brand new ship of a new line of ships but what about the others. How do they compare with Solstice or with something like Anthem of the Seas?

Thanks for any help.

Having sailed on Anthem of the Seas, I think Edge will share some design features with it. But the beautiful Anthem will still have more family/kid areas like bumper cars, etc. Edge will be a bit more refined. If you enjoyed Solstice than try another S-Class ship.

Taking a step back, a lot of what you are asking is simply "old" versus "new".

The M-class ships reflect the ideas being put into cruise ships 20 years ago. They wanted Panamax-sized ships that could fit through the Panama Canal at its size then. They wanted lots more balconies than the previous generations of cruise ships because passengers would pay a premium for that. Passengers generally had the run of the ship with relatively equal access to all amenities.

We don't know for sure everything about Edge, but we can safely say that it incorporates the ideas being put into cruise ships today. They can exceed the previous Pananax size limitations. People still want lots of balconies, but they are more segregated into "neighborhoods." More amenities will be available to higher room classes because passengers will pay a premium for them.

A lot of your decision is simply about whether you prefer the thinking that went into the previous generation of ships or if you prefer the thinking going into the newest generation of ships.

Celebrity had 3 classes of ships.

4 M class : Infinity millennium Constellation and Summit.

5 S Class : Solstice, Sillhouette, Eclipse, Equinox and Reflection. The first four are very similar, Reflectiona little larger.

And as you know, there will be Edge, which will sail from Fort Lauderdale.

sailing out of Miami, there’s Equinox and Infinity in 2018

Out of Fort Lauderdale are Reflection and Silhouette and Infinity in 2019

Equinox is going back to Port Everglades in May 2019.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Having sailed on Anthem of the Seas, I think Edge will share some design features with it. But the beautiful Anthem will still have more family/kid areas like bumper cars, etc. Edge will be a bit more refined. If you enjoyed Solstice than try another S-Class ship.

How can you make a comparison with a RCI monster funfair at sea with Celebrity. Brash vs Class (just my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you liked the Solstice, you will like the other S Class ships - I haven't been on M class (yet) so can't compare.

I have found that which S class is the 'best' now, may not have been the 'best' last year (with the word 'best' being an opinion of course). I've always had a positive experience on the S class ships.

I will say that the Reflection 'felt' busier to me everywhere, due to its increased size and #pax.

I would suggest, that if you decide S class, also consider the ports that are important to you (for example, the ABC Islands are great IMO).

My final comments, in recent years, I've found the service about Eclipse the best, then Silhouette, then Equinox. Again, this is totally an opinion which could have changed if I took a cruise a different week with different crew.

If you liked the Solstice, you will like the other S Class ships - I haven't been on M class (yet) so can't compare.

I have found that which S class is the 'best' now, may not have been the 'best' last year (with the word 'best' being an opinion of course). I've always had a positive experience on the S class ships.

I will say that the Reflection 'felt' busier to me everywhere, due to its increased size and #pax.

I would suggest, that if you decide S class, also consider the ports that are important to you (for example, the ABC Islands are great IMO).

My final comments, in recent years, I've found the service about Eclipse the best, then Silhouette, then Equinox. Again, this is totally an opinion which could have changed if I took a cruise a different week with different crew.

Sailed on Eclipse and Solstice. Both lovely in terms of food, service and general ambience. Also sailed on Connie, Infinity and Millennium. Smaller and older that S Class but just as good in other respects. Only Millie was a bit of a disappointment. She’s the oldest and showing her age. Understand she’s due a major refit later this year, and much needed

Sailing on the Edge next February and really looking forward to experiencing a brand new ship.

BTW, got nothing against RCI and sailing on Jewel this September. It’s just the idea of the Gargantuan of the seas and 6000 people that I think is a big big turn off.

How can you make a comparison with a RCI monster funfair at sea with Celebrity. Brash vs Class (just my opinion)

Paul, just my personal opinion too. The OP asked about Anthem. It is a really nice ship, you should try a cruise! RCI has RCCL, Azamara and Celebrity ships serving different demographics. When we had kids sailing with us we really enjoyed RCCL ships. Now that we are a bit older we like Celebrity's longer itineraries and slower pace. We have sailed both Summit and Anthem from Bayonne, NJ which is convenient to where we live. We love both ships. To each his/her own.

Sailed on Eclipse and Solstice. Both lovely in terms of food, service and general ambience. Also sailed on Connie, Infinity and Millennium. Smaller and older that S Class but just as good in other respects. Only Millie was a bit of a disappointment. She’s the oldest and showing her age. Understand she’s due a major refit later this year, and much needed

Sailing on the Edge next February and really looking forward to experiencing a brand new ship.

BTW, got nothing against RCI and sailing on Jewel this September. It’s just the idea of the Gargantuan of the seas and 6000 people that I think is a big big turn off.

Have you tried them? You may be pleasantly surprised. We have sailed all the current fleet of X ships except Summit (due to itineraries and not for any other reason) and our least favourite is the largest Reflection, where you do feel the overcrowding compared to the ‘big gals’ such as Oasis (obviously, OMHO).

We have been on two S class and three M class ships. The S class ships have about 2900 passengers and M class about 2100 passengers (estimates please). The S class ships are our favorite ships after cruising on Celebrity, Royal C and NCL. However, the M class are still great ships. You never feel crowded on any X ships. Our favorite is Eclipse.