NCL Sun Port Canaveral Disembarkation

Hello! Fairly new to cruising, but a definite NCL virgin. Quick q....

We will be taking the short 4 night cruise on the Norwegian Sun from Port Canaveral to Cuba. It says it returns at 7am, but on the website, there is this disclaimer... "Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice."

Does that mean they won't start letting people off until 9am?

I haven't booked flights yet, but there is a really attractive non-stop from MCO at 11:12am. What are my odds on making it? With/without checked baggage.

What's the earliest you can get to MCO? Any suggestions to make this smooth?

You really do not want a flight until after 12 but it may be possible to make it. You might have to UBER it so make sure you are first off the ship and out of area. Not a short drive. Plus you will have Orlando rush hour traffic if it is a weekday.

I never book a flight home before noon.

I could tell you a story about the time our cruise was diverted to San Pedro, we were supposed to go back to Long Beach. Luckily, we were flying home the following day, but plenty who booked early flights same day were frantic.

Not saying something this drastic could happen but I do not like the stress of worrying about making deadlines when so much is out of my control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on the Sun in June, and I had the same dilemma. After reading through the Florida Departures board, I decided on the 2:30pm flight (versus the 11ish). Too far from the port for things to go wrong.

Also MCO is a mess! We flew out of there last year and nearly missed our flight due to the security line.

Hard to say. Often they get in early and usually within the hour people are off. By 9 they also are usually making non-stop announcements to vacate ship.

Pre-arrange ride to MCO. It is a good hour there. If all goes as normal, you could be off ship by 8, to airport at 9 and security can be long. If a Saturday it will be very busy since there are many ships there but if a different day see how many ships in port.

Looks like the only attractive flights out of MCO are later in the evening...after 6PM. Is there anything worth doing in the area in the meantime or should we rent a car and take a flight out of TPA. They have a decent flight at 4 that will get us home in time to catch our little guy's baseball game. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Following this thread. Luckily, time is not an issue as we have a late afternoon flight booked, BUT we still need to figure out how to get from Port Canaveral to MCO.

DEXDDD, I like your idea of pre-arranging a ride there - any suggestions? Anyone familiar w/ a shuttle service from the Port to MCO (other than Uber)?

Thanks in advance!

Following this thread. Luckily, time is not an issue as we have a late afternoon flight booked, BUT we still need to figure out how to get from Port Canaveral to MCO.

DEXDDD, I like your idea of pre-arranging a ride there - any suggestions? Anyone familiar w/ a shuttle service from the Port to MCO (other than Uber)?

Thanks in advance!

I live in Orlando so I just drive myself. However, this service is recommended by one of the moderators on the RC forum. He says he's used them for years. Cheap, $20pp.

http://www.cortrans-shuttle.com/

Thanks in advance!

We've always rented cars but with the number of ships and people in port, especially on a Saturday, the car rental places are ill-equipped to handle the demand anymore.

I recommended a pre-arranged ride if the OP had an early flight and needed to get there asap. You can try the ports of call forum or try the DCL forum here on CC since they have info over there about car services.