6.5 hour layover in LHR with British Airways business class. 1st time in London.

wizdiz

I have read that there are time limits at the lounge?
I don't think you'll find any time limits on using the airline lounges that you qualify to use by your class of travel (or, for that matter, by frequent flyer status if that were your eligibility route).

So if they serve meals in the lounges would they be better then what would be on the plane and worth eating in lounge instead of the meal on the flight?
It sounds like you're flying BOS-LHR overnight. That is a punishingly short flight by any standards when done overnight. Off the top of my head, I think that you should be able to get a decent meal via the pre-flight supper in the BA lounge at BOS - and if you can, I would highly recommend doing this and then going to sleep on board as soon as you are able to.

A couple of weeks back I flew back from New York to London on a flight which is only fractionally longer. Eating in the lounge before the flight meant that I was flat out on my back and fast asleep about 10 minutes after take-off, and I was asleep until 40 minutes before landing (which is when the announcements start).

Business class and First class are different.

You mentioned *Business* class before (and in title).

IF you are actually in First Class, then there is a totally different First Class Lounge in LHR, and it is *very* nice.

I fly 1st class mia to bos and then business class from Boston to lhr...... Are you saying I will be able to go in better lounges going?

Seems like a good time to clarify that domestic first class and international first class are typically VERY different products; I suspect Geezer Couple was asking if you were flying international first, as that often means a very different (i.e. nicer) lounge experience. Domestic first class, which is what you have MIA-BOS, often gives NO lounge access, although if connecting to an international business class flight there might be an exception, as someone noted.

In order from most luxurious to most basic, airline class categories are typically:

• International first class
  • Business class
  • Domestic first class
  • Premium economy
  • Economy comfort/Comfort Plus and similarly named products that generally refer to economy seats with a little extra legroom, and perhaps a small bump in amenities/service
  • Economy

Not all airlines offer all of these, and some only offer certain ones only on certain flights. Also, depending on the airline and the exact seats/amenities offered, some might rank premium economy above domestic first.

Seems like a good time to clarify that domestic first class and international first class are typically VERY different products; I suspect Geezer Couple was asking if you were flying international first, as that often means a very different (i.e. nicer) lounge experience. Domestic first class, which is what you have MIA-BOS, often gives NO lounge access, although if connecting to an international business class flight there might be an exception, as someone noted.

In order from most luxurious to most basic, airline class categories are typically:

•  
  • International first class

• Business class

• Domestic first class

• Premium economy

• Economy comfort/Comfort Plus and similarly named products that generally refer to economy seats with a little extra legroom, and perhaps a small bump in amenities/service

• Economy

Not all airlines offer all of these, and some only offer certain ones only on certain flights. Also, depending on the airline and the exact seats/amenities offered, some might rank premium economy above domestic first.

No my first class flight is domestic. Mia to Bos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're flying BOS-LHR overnight. That is a punishingly short flight by any standards when done overnight. Off the top of my head, I think that you should be able to get a decent meal via the pre-flight supper in the BA lounge at BOS - and if you can, I would highly recommend doing this and then going to sleep on board as soon as you are able to.

A couple of weeks back I flew back from New York to London on a flight which is only fractionally longer. Eating in the lounge before the flight meant that I was flat out on my back and fast asleep about 10 minutes after take-off, and I was asleep until 40 minutes before landing (which is when the announcements start).

I was just about to post this till I got to page 2 of this thread and saw that you had already clarified. Seeing as this is the thread starter's first international business class flight so it is doubtful that you will get them to skip the meal. Here is a good detailed review of the BOS lounge which may help convince them to prioritize sleep onboard.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/british-airways-boston-lounge/

Immigration is horrendous at Heathrow. That’s one hour there probably. I was there on a leisure vacation and the agent was asking me all sorts of questions, there’s no waving through

It's fun to generalize! :rolleyes:

The 1hr wait is very doubtful because:

1) You don't need to clear immigration when connecting at LHR

2) Even if they do go landside British Airways has a Fast Track immigration line for premium class passengers on non-EU passports

Broad brush statements such as yours as not helpful. Each terminal has its own immigration clearance for those passengers heading landside or connecting to a domestic flight. There are peak times and off peak times for clearing immigration and why would the immigration officer wave you through anyways?

Immigration is horrendous at Heathrow. That’s one hour there probably. I was there on a leisure vacation and the agent was asking me all sorts of questions, there’s no waving through

Compared to immigration in the US Heathrow is nothing!

The US is much worse and take much more time. At least that's my experience. I can't remember that I ever have answered any questions when arriving at Heathrow.

Seeing as this is the thread starter's first international business class flight so it is doubtful that you will get them to skip the meal.
One other thing that might persuade them to skip the on-board meal on BOS-LHR is that they will have all the time in the world to try everything in the business class meal during the longer flight from LHR to MIA at the end of their trip.

It should be the new Club World meal service, and the full version of that given that it's a long daylight flight. Importantly, the OP might want to bear in mind that although they're likely to be offered one starter and one dessert (in addition to a choice of one main), if there are enough spares of starters or desserts then it's part of the new meal concept that the passenger should be able to ask for them.

But there was a reason why flat beds were introduced to business class: to sleep. And sleep is what many business class passengers pay a lot of money for, especially on short flights.

The US is much worse and take much more time. At least that's my experience. I can't remember that I ever have answered any questions when arriving at Heathrow.

Absolutely, the US immigration process is unpredictable. It can be short quick lines or long. The question can be non-existent to just strange. It is a complete mess. UK is not bad at all.

As for the OP, if they follow the connections sign and stay within the airport they avoid actually entering the UK and dealing with its immigration system.

It does help, though, if you have an EU passport as the rules for admitting EU nationals are different from those for admitting complete foreigners, who are much more likely to be asked real questions.

Entering the US is now so likely to be horrendous that it makes me ask why I should bother going. I used to go to NYC three or four times a year for short breaks, but I don't do that any more. Immigration hassle (or more accurately, the fear of immigration hassle) is one of the reasons that's contributed to that. No other country has so often made me wait for over an hour to get in. When there are so many other places that are just as worthwhile going to, why run this risk?

Having said that, as em-sk says it can be a lottery. The other week, I was pleased to have been one of the first off the aircraft, into an immigration hall that was empty because no other flights had recently arrived at that JFK terminal ahead of us. So I was through immigration in less than 10 minutes - although that's still about 9 minutes longer than it takes me to get through Australian immigration in Sydney during the morning peak.

As for the OP, if they follow the connections sign and stay within the airport they avoid actually entering the UK and dealing with its immigration system.
This is correct, so Got2Cruise's warning really isn't applicable. Of all the suggestions made above, the only one that would require the OP to clear immigration at LHR is if they wanted to use the Arrivals Lounge after arriving from BOS.

No my first class flight is domestic. Mia to Bos.

Yes, I understand that. But previously you responded to someone's question about your first class flight (and their reference to first class lounges) by asking if flying first meant you'd have access to a better lounge. I was clarifying for you and/or others who may be reading, that domestic first and international first are entirely different things. The really nice first class lounges that one often hears about are for international first class pax, not domestic first class pax.

My plan now is on my way to not bother with immigration and stay in Terminal 5 as going only have 4-hour layover and most likely by the time I arrive am going to be very tired.

On my way home as my flight leaves from Terminal 3 will keep Terminal 3 till I leave.

Once again thanks for all the advice.