How much cash (CHF for a few hours in Basel and Euros for rest) should I take?

lafree58

My traveling companion and I are booked on Viking from Basel to Amsterdam later this month. We fly in to Basel midday, so after dropping off luggage at the ship, does anyone have tips on where to go in Basel or where to find a nice cheese fondue meal before ship departs that night?

Also, how much cash should I need (I know the recommended tips) ... trying to avoid foreign exchange fees for using debit or credit cards if we can. It’s the 8 day cruise up the Rhine.

Thanks for the help. This is our first river cruise.

Lafree

Why don't you get a credit card that has no exchange fees. I have two and I know there are others. I always use those cards when in other countries. Capital One is one of them. The other is a special card with my bank.

Spent a couple of days in Basel. Finding Fondue wasn't easy. Our hotel sent us to a place but it was a dinner only. And actually it wasn't that great!

Basel is not the most touristy town and it is also not that Swiss. It sits right in the confluence of France, Germany, and Switzerland. Therefore the food there is a fantastic mix of the 3 countries.

Have a great cruise and hope you find some good fondue!

Hello,

I am doing this itinerary in a couple of weeks. I will be bringing $100 usd worth of CHF for Basel as DH and I will be arriving the day before the cruise and staying in a hotel in Basel. That is just pocket money for any items we may want in the Christmas Market, tipping locals, taxi fares, or glass of wine somewhere. Anything else, I will use my credit card which has no foreign transaction fee. (Foreign exchange fees are different, and can't be avoided.)

I also have a $900 usd worth of Euros along with me, but that is to be spread out over a longer period as I will be on a 2 week Mediterranean cruise directly before the river cruise, and a few hotel nights. Several of the private guides I hired in the Med want cash euros on the day of the tour, so that is factored in, plus some walking around money.

Conversely, my Mom and brother are joining us on the river cruise portion of the trip only, flying in the day of boarding to Basel, and not staying over at the end. For them, I recommended no CHF for Basel, as the most they'll do is go on the included walking tour, and they will be tired from traveling, and $300 in cash euros for walking around money for the rest of the trip - we will be visiting several Christmas Markets along the way, and Mom and brother are shoppers, so this is factored in.

Many travelers prefer to rely on ATM's and extract money as they go along, also a good approach. My personal preference is to arrive with some cash local currency pocket money for wherever I am going, and not visit foreign ATM's. But there is no wrong way in this, whatever your comfort level.

'cheese fondue' in Basel may be a bit of a challenge, it is easier to find in the mountains, especially in winter. Down in the towns and cities it is more of a tourist thing and may not be routinely available every night due to the smell..

If you find a restaurant offering it then do check to see if you have to give them advance notice.

We never take foreign cash with us. Use a debit card that reimburses any ATM fees for a little cash...Charles Scwab is excellent for that. There are plenty of credit cards that do not charge foreign transaction fees...certain Chase United cards. Do not let the merchant charge the card in US dollars.....that will trigger an additional exchange fee. Agree with other posters regarding Fondue....less likely to be found outside of the alps.

Does anyone have tips on where to go in Basel or where to find a nice cheese fondue meal before ship departs that night?

Not sure about fondue...but you could definitely find raclette in Basel!

The trams are really easy to use in Basel and can take you all over both sides of the city. Take a walk on the path along the rhine (you can take a boat over to the other side if you so desire "river taxi"). Basel has a lovely art museum, so if you're into art, that might be something to do. You can also walk around the plaza where the rathaus is located - lots of little shops on the cobbled streets.

Many river cruises include a walk around the old town that is interesting but two of the art museums are fabulous. The Kunstmuseum for older works and the Beyeler foundation for 20th century art on. The Beyeler Foundation is architecturally interesting as well as presenting thoughtful art exhibits. The only major city we went to in Switzerland before our cruise to have easy to find fondue was Geneva. The tram system is great.

The rate difference between the euro and the swiss franc isn't very much. As of today, it is 1.16. Swiss franc to 1 Euro. f this is the only place in Switzerland you are going to be and only for a short time, consider just using your credit card for a big purchase or dinner (I carry cards that don't charge an extra fee). If you are buying something small, like at a market where purchases are more normally in cash anyway, then nearly everyone will take Euros. I used Euros to pay cab fare. You won't get change back, but in the end, it didn't cost me any more than if I'd exchanged money then ended up with francs left over.